MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Lateral Move ..??

Pat Shurmur of the Philadelphia Eagles was hired as the offensive coordinator for the Rams.By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/21/2009

This excerpt from the above listed article has me wondering ...

"Rams general manager Billy Devaney confirmed that the Rams have asked permission to interview Minnesota special teams coach Paul Ferraro. Ferraro, 49, was a teammate of Spagnuolo's at Springfield (Mass.) College. After 23 seasons coaching at the college level, Ferraro joined the NFL in 2005 with Carolina. He joined the Vikings in 2006."

If Ferraro is currently under contract with the Vikes as their special teams' coach, the Rams interest in hiring him here as our ST coach would constitute a lateral move would it not? Is this allowed?

Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress plans to retain his entire staff.
    Special-teams coach Ferraro to stay on
    By Rick Alonzo

Coaches seek stability whenever it's prudent and possible.

So it wasn't surprising that Vikings coach Brad Childress said he plans to retain his staff of assistants, including special-teams coach Paul Ferraro.

Childress knows he might lose defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier to a head coaching vacancy. Frazier interviewed with the Broncos in Denver on Wednesday and is scheduled to interview with the Detroit Lions today followed by the St. Louis Rams next week.

Childress said he would not begrudge Frazier an opportunity to become a head coach, because the opportunity for a promotion of that nature is rare in the NFL. Childress praised his staff, calling them excellent teachers, and noted that all of his assistants remain under contract.

Ferraro came under perhaps the most scrutiny during the 2008 season. The Vikings' special teams allowed seven touchdowns, an NFL record in the modern era. WOW !!!

"When you speak to special teams, obviously that's a thorn in all of our sides to give up that many returns (four) for touchdowns," Childress said Thursday during his season-ending news conference. "I just think it's a matter of continuity, and the guys playing and the same guys playing in the coverage waves. All 11 guys doing their job. Because if one guy doesn't do his job, obviously it sticks out like a sore thumb." Do we really want this guy??
    Last edited by MauiRam; -01-21-2009 at 02:38 PM.

Re: Lateral Move ..??

mmmm, and he was a "mate" hire we think?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ahh...didn't take Spags long to try to get a BFF in here.

HornIt is offline Registered User

This is one where I guess you just have to either trust Spags' judgment or not.

I'll say again with ST's though, outside of the kickers themselves, I tend to hold the HC more accountable than anybody for ST performance. The HC is the guy who decides who is available to play ST's. He's the guy who decides how much time they are going to dedicated to practicing kick coverage and returns since those practices are contingent on the rest of practice. Everything else essentially has to stop to practice kick returns and coverage.

That's why a good ST coach like Bobby April can look bad on a team like the Rams that didn't want to use any starters on ST's and tended to sacrifice ST practice time to get in more 7 on 7 drills and such.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I thought they were going to bring this guy in as a linebackers coach. Although i might have just made that up