BigGameMN is offline Registered User

The Latest on Linehan, Rams

The Latest on Linehan, Rams
    By Bernie Miklasz
    01/26/2008 5:22 pm

Rams fans were buzzing Saturday over reports of the team pursuing Al Saunders as offensive coordinator and Gregg Williams as defensive coordinator. Both Washington Redskins coordinators were fired this weekend by owner Dan Snyder who obviously wants to take the team in a new direction after the retirement of head coach Joe Gibbs.

Hereís what I know after having multiple phone conversations late Saturday afternoon:

* Rams HC Scott Linehan is, in fact, aggressively pursuing Saunders to be the offensive coordinator. This would be an excellent move by Linehan for three reasons: (1) Saunders runs an exciting, Mike Martz-style offense; (2) the Ramsí offensive veterans would be fired up by this move, and that would improve team morale; (3) this undoubtedly would energize a demoralized fan base. Saunders was an admired assistant under Dick Vermeil and Mike Martz and played a role in the ďGreatest ShowĒ attack. His offense does leave the QB vulnerable to punishment, but it is creative. This move, if Linehan can get it done, would raise Linehanís credibility. Saunders isnít a FOSL. If anything, heís a Martz guy in terms of offensive philosophy.

* OK, will it happen? To soon to tell. Saunders doesnít really need to coach right away; the Redskins owe him money and Saunders can sit out a year and collect. But Saunders is said to be itching to coach again. I donít know what the market is for him, but it seems that most OC openings have been filled. The Rams will make a strong pitch. It might depend if other options arise for Saunders. I do know that the Rams are really interested. I donít know how interested Saunders may be in the Rams, or what alternatives he may have. We shall see.

When Saunders left Rams Park, he wasnít a favorite son of management; for whatever reasons the Ramsí big bosses werenít keen on him, because Al can be a political beast. Thatís why the bosses never interviewed him for the HC job before eventually hiring Linehan. But there has been a change of heart at Rams Park. Iím told the bosses are firmly backing Linehan on the recruitment of Saunders as OC ó because they realize this franchise needs a boost. And they did not believe Saunders would be available, which he now is.

* I have been led to believe that the pursuit of Gregg Williams isnít nearly as serious ó if, indeed, it is serious at all. He may be headed to Jacksonville. And defensive coordinator Jim Haslett is under contract to the Rams. His defensive unit disappointed in 2006 and near the end of 2007, but at least his players play hard for Haslett, and young players have improved under his guidance. So why would Linehan want to talk to Williams? One theory: Linehan wants to send a message to Haslett. They donít have the best relationship. Linehan, I am told, believes Haslett snipes at him behind his back. Most coaches, including Haslett, are politicians. But Linehan is probably intelligent enough to realize that Gregg Williams also had the rep of being a politician in Washington.

* As I type this at 5 p.m. on Saturday, Iíd rate the buzz this way: Saunders is a real possibility; Williams is a longshot at best. A big longshot. And for Rams fans who are concocting theories that have either Williams or Saunders stepping in as HC, with Linehan being fired Ö no chance of that happening.

I now return to my scheduled day offÖ

Later Ö

-B

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Re: The Latest on Linehan, Rams

You have to love Bernie he is Mr. Obvious. Him and Carriker was talking on the radio shows drive home the other day how there is no way Saunders would ever come to St. Louis and now he is retracting his statement about Saunders and applying it to Williams. Bernie is an idiot egotisitical sports writer sometimes I think he acctually believes the **** coming out of his mouth.

Drew is offline Registered User

Al coming back gets the thumbs up from me!

onto Williams i dont know whats goin` on there,however.....

i think Del Rio will promote from within,he`s been at Jacksonville long enough to have brought in the people he wants and im sure he`s got someone in mind to step up,with him on hand to guide along the way,if needed...dont see the need for Gregg Williams and his presumed big pay check in Jacsonville!

Drew is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    You have to love Bernie he is Mr. Obvious. Him and Carriker was talking on the radio shows drive home the other day how there is no way Saunders would ever come to St. Louis and now he is retracting his statement about Saunders and applying it to Williams. Bernie is an idiot egotisitical sports writer sometimes I think he acctually believes the **** coming out of his mouth.

well....there is always that too!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Why would he return to the same organization that insulted him? Linehan was hired with the idea of keeping an exciting offense, but Saunders, one of minds who built it, was left out in the cold. SO why would he again come back? FO hasn't changed, the team has gotten worst, ownership is in doubt, and Linehan runs the show...and Saunders would consider returning? Personally, why would anyone want to joint a sinking ship?

If he does comeback, I would be surprised. Right now Saunders is in the drivers seat and likely his services will not come cheap. the only way I can see him coming back is to prove he can turn things around in St Louis to increase his stock in eventually getting his own team as HC

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Good stuff, this would be a huge hire!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

faulk2jackson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Why would he return to the same organization that insulted him? Linehan was hired with the idea of keeping an exciting offense, but Saunders, one of minds who built it, was left out in the cold. SO why would he again come back? FO hasn't changed, the team has gotten worst, ownership is in doubt, and Linehan runs the show...and Saunders would consider returning? Personally, why would anyone want to joint a sinking ship?

If he does comeback, I would be surprised. Right now Saunders is in the drivers seat and likely his services will not come cheap. the only way I can see him coming back is to prove he can turn things around in St Louis to increase his stock in eventually getting his own team as HC
    Let me give you many reasons why he would want to come here:
    1. Bulger
    2. Holt
    3. Mcmichael
    4. Jackson
    5. Jackson
    6. Jackson
    oh and did i mention S. Jackson?

With these weapons he knows that he can be as good as in and out of st louis in no time with a future HC job. He has suffered enough with the below average redskins QBs and the overrated Portis.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Faulk2Jackson View Post
    Let me give you many reasons why he would want to come here:
    1. Bulger
    2. Holt
    3. Mcmichael
    4. Jackson
    5. Jackson
    6. Jackson
    Oh and did I mention S. Jackson?

With these weapons he knows that he can be as good as in and out of St Louis in no time with a future HC job. He has suffered enough with the below average redskins QBs and the overrated Portis.
    Yes, these "7" 'reasons' are certainly part of the opportunity package that attracts a good OC to come to STL. This same incentive was stated before about Cameron but, well he decides to go to Baltimore -- his loss!

I only hope Saunders appreciates our players and the real possibilities of him moving up to HC. I agree on that too, Faulk2Jax (although I don't think Portis is overrated).

:bash: Great to know all this may come to fruition.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

We have potential, just brainless coaches and a ton of injuries held us from performing. If we keep our line healthy and we get Saunders calling plays, we'll be good on offense

PHAT-MONEY Guest

All In favor of me buying the Rams Say I

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-27-2008, 01:56 AM