AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Latest on Little Trial (could be over soon)

Jury will hear closing arguments in Little case
    By William C. Lhotka
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Friday, Apr. 01 2005

A jury in St. Louis County Circuit Court will hear closing arguments this
    afternoon and then be asked to decide if Rams defensive end Leonard Little is
    guilty of drunk driving and speeding on Highway 40 in Ladue last year.

The jury heard three prosecution and one defense witness this morning. Defense
    attorney Scott Roseblum called only Ladue Police Officer Kenneth Andreski to
    the stand.

Andreski was the backup officer to Officer Gregory Stork who had stopped
    Little at 3:44 a.m. on April 24 near Highway 40 and Lindbergh Boulevard. Stork
    testified yesterday that Little was windmilling his arms and unable to stand on
    one foot during a sobriety test outside his 2003 Mercedes.

Rosenblum asked Andreski, who said he was standing about five feet behind
    Little, if he saw the football player windmilling his arms or holding them
    outward like wings of an airplane. Andreski said he didn't recall seeing that
    happen.

Under questioning by prosecutor Mark Bishop, Andreski said he saw Little place
    his foot down twice during a test requiring Little to stand on one leg, and he
    saw Little fail twice to walk straight ahead in a so-called ``walk and turn''
    test.

``Were you surprised how poor his balance is because he is such a good athlete?
    Were you surprised he couldn't stand on one foot and couldn't walk an imaginary
    line?'' Asked Bishop in a series of questions and Andreski replied
    affirmatively.

Rosenblum pointed out -- and Andreski agreed -- that more than two foot touches
    and two steps off a line are needed for failure of those two sobriety tests.
    ``Based on your observations, you couldn't say he was intoxicated, could you?''
    the defense lawyer asked.

``No sir,'' the officer replied.

And Rosenblum rested his case.

Two comments from me:

1. Based on what I have read about the testimony, I'd be shocked if Little is convicted. In fact, I think the jury will probably rule in his favor before day's end.

2. Since I've openly criticized Hadley ane Bernie, let me give credit where it is due. William Lhotka, who has been reporting on the trial, has done a very good job of reporting the story.

general counsel Guest

Re: Latest on Little Trial (could be over soon)

Avenger, based on what i have heard, i wonder if there is any shot that the judge would grant a jnov no matter what happens. Extreme remedy for sure, but based on what we have heard and read, i dont see how anyone, let alone all of them, couldnt believe that there is at least some reasonable doubt as to what actually happened, let alone a legitimate belief that the officer was overzealous in his conclusions.

general counsel

Interesting thought. It would seem that no reasonable jury hearing the evidence as it has been described would find the absence of reasonable doubt.

general counsel Guest

When is the last time anyone ever heard of the partner of the arresting officer not backing him up on the stand, and in fact contradicting him. Two officers watching, two different interpretations, if that is not at the minimum reasonable doubt, i sure dont know what is.

general counsel

Plus, did you notice how leading the questions of the prosecutor (as described) were. The defense probably could have objected, but chose not to because it was probably obvious to the jury that he was being spoon-fed his testimony.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    When is the last time anyone ever heard of the partner of the arresting officer not backing him up on the stand, and in fact contradicting him. Two officers watching, two different interpretations, if that is not at the minimum reasonable doubt, i sure dont know what is.

general counsel
    I've never, and I mean NEVER witnessed that. This is something the prosecutor should have seen going in. If the LEOs involved aren't on the same page, I'm surprised the prosecutor even took it to court.

Based on what's being reported, I can't imagine Little being found guilty. For better or worse, I'm pretty certain he's going to walk on this one.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I concur. If the backup officer is a witness for the defense, you have to wonder how strong a case the prosecution has.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rammiser is offline Registered User

There is no way a sane jury can find Little giulty after the backup officer said he couldnt tell if Little was intoxicated. So I guess we are ok at defensive end now and lets get on with our offseason. My advice to Little however is to switch to O'douls or something like pepsi instead of alchohol. This is twice and looking at the testimony he will get off and he should feel pretty lucky. He killed someone, something none of us would have gotten away with and he still has the nerve to pop a few. I say it's time to quit drinking completely.
    Just Fix It

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser
    My advice to Little however is to switch to O'douls or something like pepsi instead of alchohol.
    Or at least get a friggin' driver to take you places.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Rosenblum pointed out -- and Andreski agreed -- that more than two foot touches
    and two steps off a line are needed for failure of those two sobriety tests.
    ``Based on your observations, you couldn't say he was intoxicated, could you?''
    the defense lawyer asked.

``No sir,'' the officer replied.
    So let me get this straight. Little wasn't widmilling his arms, he did not actually fail the walking the line test, and the eye test was administered completely incorrectly by an officer who did not know correct procedures. Add in an audio tape in which Little did not slur his speech and was very cooperative. If he's found guilty I will be beyond surprised.