throwback week

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Is Laurinaitis finally the answer?

All indications seem to point to the possibility that JL can finally purge the heartburn of losing London Fletcher. The way he flies around the field, plays the run, and just overall gets this defense in gear makes me think I may be able to finally be relieved of my torture. Watch how soon he becomes the heart and soul of my defense.

maineram Guest

Re: Is Laurinaitis finally the answer?

So far so good anyway. We're gonna find out Sunday if he's a real playmaker
    or not.

I'm hoping for a JL -1, AC -0

Maine -

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Laurinaitis definitely looks comfortable on the field, does his homework and comes prepared to play. He might not break out in a spectacular way, but I think he's going to be effective and steady, with the occasional big play. He's the pure definition of football player.

RamOfDenmark Guest

I have been thinking the same thing. He was my favorite pick in this year's draft right off the bat and since then he's shown himself to be very NFL-ready for a rookie and willing to study and put in the effort to improve. I think our defense is going to struggle overall for another year or two until Spagnuolo can build it up with more of his players but I don't think it's going to be because of Laurinaitis. I'm very optimistic when it comes to his potential.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

So far,so good,indeed,imo. But how fast he becomes a really noticeable force depends on the support he gets from the rest of "your" (LOL) defense, doesn't it,Tx?

Spoon wasn't bad in '07 but he didn't get much help from the DTs,safeties, and fellow LBs,did he?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

To me, what will separate J.L. from being a solid NFL linebacker versus a great NFL linebacker will be the fire and passion he displays on the field. There is no doubt that J.L. is a student of the game. He'll be prepared every week, and he'll get the unit in position, and he'll make a bunch of tackles ...

However, how will he respond when the defense needs to make a big play? How will he respond when the unit is not performing well? How will he respond on 3rd and inches in critical situations?

I want to see J.L. show some emotion, and I don't mean in a crazy manner. Just show some fire, display the desire that he has inside to everybody on the unit, make the rest of the defense want to be better ...

Few rookies get the type of opportunity that J.L. has. Between him and Long, we could have a pair of young studs that solidify this defense for years. Or they can be just a couple pieces that simply make it a little better....

The ball is in their hands, or at least I hope it will be!

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Few rookies get the type of opportunity that J.L. has. Between him and Long, we could have a pair of young studs that solidify this defense for years. Or they can be just a couple pieces that simply make it a little better....

The ball is in their hands, or at least I hope it will be!
    I agree with two additions: Atogwe and Bartell should probably be added to JL and Long as key pieces.
    Semper Fi!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont think you have to show emotion on the field to play with passion and intensity. However, i do think that like the play of all mlb's, including ray lewis, his effectiveness will be impacted in material part by the play of the dlinemen in front of him. If they can keep the bodies off Laurinatis, we will have a star on our hands. If the guards can get their bodies on laurinatis, we will continue to have issues. Lewis was nowhere near as effective when the ravens had the setbacks on the dline and he is of course one of the greatest guys ever at the position. Alas, i think we are highly suspect at the defensive tackle position, as we have been since pickett left.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RealRam is offline Registered User

May your words ring true and long lived, TX!!!

I too am rooting for the man of Laurin, that he smash and smack opponents until they cry and plead ... "nomohritis"!

Really feel we now have a true MLB that in fact knows and understands fully how bad the Rams D needs a warrior right there. So much is expected of our defense; so much of it on the shoulders of this rookie MLB.

Have a GREAT, MONSTER, T E R R I F I C season JL!

PS: BTW, glad to see you back TX. Sorry I took over a week to salute you, señor.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    All indications seem to point to the possibility that JL can finally purge the heartburn of losing London Fletcher.
    Maybe so. But I have full confidence that you will find something else to mope about, Eor. Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Maybe so. But I have full confidence that you will find something else to mope about, Eor. Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!
    I already have a new project....Bell. He's gotta go if he doesn't improve.

However, to clarify a few things for Azul. When the GSOT was in its heyday, all anyone wanted to talk about was the offense. So I named myself the Unofficial Official Secretary of ClanRam Defense. So, yes it's MY defense but kind of take it like the character in Gladiator that claimed Ireland as his island.

LOL

I already have a new project....Bell. He's gotta go if he doesn't improve.
    Good. What with Hill permanently gone, Carriker temporarily gone, and the ghost of London seemingly gone, I was getting very nervous that too many things may be going right for you. Glad to see Bell is there to hold the rope for you.

kind of take it like the character in Gladiator that claimed Ireland as his island.
    That would be Braveheart, hoss.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I stand corrected on my utter ignorance of movie knowledge.

I stand corrected on my utter ignorance of movie knowledge.

But you were very close. In fact, my gym has a "manly movie" hall of fame with various movie posters hanging on the walls. And next to each other right above one of our squat racks is Gladiator and Braveheart.

So, yea, you were actually very close.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Dude
    Aye! It's moy eyeland!
    I've loved the JL pick ever since I saw it this April, knowing that we finally got ourselves a true middle linebacker, and a three down player as well. I don't know if he has the fire that Inifinti thinks he needs to have, but I also don't know if he really needs to be a Ray Lewis to be who we need. I think above all, we just need a strong center to our defense who is a sure tackler and will make sure everyone's in position. We don't need a freak of nature who will break you bones on a routine hit(See Mendenhall, Rashard vs. Lewis, Ray), at least not yet.