Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BEER is offline Registered User

Laurinaitis and Smith still 2 unit, OTAs.

5/19 ..The Rams players and coaches were joined on the practice fields Tuesday — the first day of OTAs — by a group of officials in black-and-white striped shirts, whistles at the ready. The idea is to reinforce the emphasis new coach Steve Spagnuolo has made on reducing penalties. If an indiscretion was spied during team drills, a flag was thrown.
    “We talked to the whole team about reducing penalties. That was at the last minicamp, and that was a focus,” Spagnuolo explained after Tuesday’s two-hour workout. “I’m hoping that the emphasis that we’re putting on eliminating penalties will filter right across the board. It’s tough enough to win in this league without going backward.”
    The Rams were the 11th-most-penalized team in the NFL last year, with 97. They were set back 718 yards, 16th in the league.
    <><><>
    Notes & quotes:
    *DE Leonard Little was excused from Tuesday’s practice so that he could attend to a family matter. Some 84 players were on the fields.
    *WR/KR Derek Stanley, who is coming off knee surgery, again was limited to individual drills.
    *His contract problems resolved, G Ray Feinga, an undrafted rookie from Brigham Young, was back in uniform. The Rams like what they’ve seen of him so far.
    *The Rams have signed T Eric Young, a former standout at the University of Tennessee. Young, who participated in minicamp earlier this month on a tryout basis, originally signed with Cleveland a year ago as an undrafted rookie. He was out all last season with a thigh injury and was waived this spring.
    *After signing Young, the Rams released Mike Newkirk, a defensive lineman from Wisconsin. He was an undrafted rookie.
    *Larry Grant worked with the first unit at strongside LB on Tuesday. That spot is open following the release of veteran Pisa Tinoisamoa. With second-round draftee James Laurinaitis still with the No. 2 unit, Chris Draft was at MLB with the ones.
    *First-round pick Jason Smith also has yet to be promoted from the second unit, where he’s at RT. Adam Goldberg is the first-team RT for now.
    *CB Tye Hill, who is coming off knee surgery,appeared to be running more freely and made a couple of nice pass breakups. Hill is battling for the starting job opposite Ron Bartell.
    *CB Jonathan Wade is being used as the nickel back.
    *Wednesday’s OTA is closed to the media.
    All for now . . .

realchamp11 is offline Registered User

Re: Laurinaitis and Smith still 2 unit, OTAs.

Larry Grant??

:1:PLAY EVER SNAP LIKE IT YOUR LAST!!!:1:

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I guess they are making James work for that starting job. That's how it should be. It'll only be a matter of time before he's starting...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by realchamp11 View Post
    Larry Grant??
    That caught my eye,too. He's one of my sleepers for this season. Wonder where Culberson is in the pecking order now.

Still ridiculously early to read anything into anything but Grant made some nice plays on STs last year. I just hope it doesn't mean QC is still struggling.

The refs thing is an interesting idea.I'm assuming they were non-official. Some outside-the-box thinking from our new HC?

I'd have designated one each to Barron and Cogs.

Actually, my first choice would be shock collars but I don't think the NFLPA would go for it.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -05-19-2009 at 07:41 PM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I guess they are making James work for that starting job. That's how it should be. It'll only be a matter of time before he's starting...
    Just getting him up to the speed of the NFL game slowly by letting him play the 2nd teamers. And yes, making him earn his spot first. He'll be starting in training camp most likely.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    *His contract problems resolved, G Ray Feinga, an undrafted rookie from Brigham Young, was back in uniform. The Rams like what they’ve seen of him so far.
    This is good stuff. I'm expecting this guy to make the squad. A very tough cookie like Cognito.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Actually, my first choice would be shock collars but I don't think the NFLPA would go for it.
    Exactly my Sentiments Azul. Seriously dude, Cogs and Barron, made some bone head penalities. I know everyone likes Incognito, i think his attitude stinks personally, and a shock collar would be perfect for Incogs if he gets froggy with the Refs, when he doesn't need to.

On the Laurinaitis thing, thats a perfect way to bring him in. and if He can't fill the spot then he'll end up as a strong second teamer, which i don't think will happen. If Spags let go of Pisa, id be worried if he put Laurinaitis on the second string.. something in my mind went Uh-oh.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Larry Grant and James Laurinaitis is shaping up to be an awesome linebacker corps. All we need now is Marcus Freeman, and that's OSU's LBs from two years ago.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post

The refs thing is an interesting idea.I'm assuming they were non-official. Some outside-the-box thinking from our new HC?
    I think this called going back to the basics?

Losing over 700 yards because of penalties is a hard pill to swallow. Obviously Spags is not going to tolerate it.

GO RAMS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Losing over 700 yards because of penalties is a hard pill to swallow. Obviously Spags is not going to tolerate it.
    Actually, if you look at the whole stat, it says we were 16th, meaning we were the definition of average when it came to yards... it's more the 11th in penalties called that gets me, and probably Spags, riled up. Averaging about 7 yards per penalty means we had many more 5 yarders (false starts anyone?) than anything else, so it's those little ones that we really need to cut down. We weren't bad at all when it came to facemasks and unsportsman like calls. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a bunch of 5 yard contact penalties on defense too.

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez
    This is good stuff. I'm expecting this guy to make the squad. A very tough cookie like Cognito.
    Just as long as Feinga can control his temper and not be the target for other teams and refs, I'm all for him being like Cogs.

labber1000 is offline Registered User

larry grant,,,,,,i still cant find much about him,,,,anyone???

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by labber1000 View Post
    larry grant,,,,,,i still cant find much about him,,,,anyone???
    Drafted in the 7th round last year by the 9ers and the Rams signed him at the end of the season from the 9ers practice squad.

He had 5 tackles last year in 2 games.

Well, if nothing else, it means we can field a LB corps of 3 7th round draft picks between him, Chamberlain and my personal fav, Vobora.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Drafted in the 7th round last year by the 9ers and the Rams signed him at the end of the season from the 9ers practice squad.

He had 5 tackles last year in 2 games.
    All 5 tackles on special teams, IIRC. Seemed to be a fierce competitor, I remember him making a massive hit on a kickoff returner ...

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Its those little 5 yarders which take us out of are gameplan.
    It will be even more important this year regarding any penalties, with us being a run first team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast