larams1980 is offline Registered User

laurinaitis vs. maualuga compare with ware vs. merriman

Do you think the James Laurinatis vs Rey Maualuga debate compares at all with Shawn Merriman vs. Demarcus Ware? They were both drafted very close together. Dallas could have drafted the more hyped Merriman but instead took the more low key Ware. Both players are very good. I think Dallas made the right pick though. Hopefully St. Louis has done the same thing.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: laurinaitis vs. maualuga compare with ware vs. merriman

It's unclear whether these players will become the players that Merriman and Ware are now, so we can't really compare them at this point, which is assuming that Laurinaitis and Malualuga will both become superstars.

The similar traits at this point is that they are all linebackers, and were drafted in reverse order of "hype" coming out of college.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Well in my Opinion i think james Laurinatis is very good. and is a great pass Coverage back, and is what i think what we need in the middle so desperately as we did in london fletcher. And James is just a little faster that Maualuga almost by a split second. So for the Rams i think Laurinaitis was a great pick. People Saying that James Laurinaitis will be the next Brain Urlacher, I really don't agree with that. Urlacher is 6-4, 260 lbs, and is very smart. I think Laurinaitis is very smart but hes still a little smaller than Urlacher, and as not as much of a thumper. Although i think Laurinaitis Is going to be a very smart linebacker in later years.

On the other Side we have Rey Maualuga who is phenominal against the run. And seems to be a very sure tackler. He also hits very hard and out weighs laurinitis by about 5-6 lbs. Maualuga reminds Me of Lofa Tutupu on the Seattle Seahawks he flies to the ball where ever it is and is great off the blitz.

Knowing the Bengals D, they need someone who is a Run clogger and a sure tackler. they already have a pass Safe Linebacker in Dahani Jones. So Maualuga was a great Linebacker Pick for the Bengals.

its really hard to Compare but for both teams i think we made the safer choice. The reason is Laurinaitis is very smart, and doesn't let his eyes fool him while he pursues a tackler. he waits for the right moment then springs for the tackle.

Even though Maualuga is one of the Best Hitters that Ive seen since Ray Lewis, Hes a Linebacker that is better against the run, and the rams need the D-line to do that, We already have Will Witherspoon, whose a good "Brick-Wall" Type Defender, and can Stop the Run just as Good as Pisa did, while having the size advantage.

So in Conclusion, the Animal is the best choice. and my opinions are all based on how they performed in College, now i don't know how they will do in the NFL, with the game speed change; but we will see.

But in Comparison Laurinaitis = Ware. Might not Hit as hard, but in ball Pursuit when its in the air Ware is safer. Maualuga Compares more Closely to Merriman, who blitzes hard and can make big impact tackles.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -05-16-2009 at 11:59 AM.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I highly doubt that either Laurinaitis or Maualuga will make as much of an impact as Ware or Merriman. Ware and Merriman are pass rushing outside linebackers and were both pretty high first round picks.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiianpunch View Post
    Well in my Opinion i think james Laurinatis is very good. and is a great pass Coverage back, and is what i think what we need in the middle so desperately as we did in london fletcher. And James is just a little faster that Maualuga almost by a split second. So for the Rams i think Laurinaitis was a great pick. People Saying that James Laurinaitis will be the next Brain Urlacher, I really don't agree with that. Urlacher is 6-4, 260 lbs, and is very smart. I think Laurinaitis is very smart but hes still a little smaller than Urlacher, and as not as much of a thumper. Although i think Laurinaitis Is going to be a very smart linebacker in later years.

On the other Side we have Rey Maualuga who is phenominal against the run. And seems to be a very sure tackler. He also hits very hard and out weighs laurinitis by about 5-6 lbs. Maualuga reminds Me of Lofa Tutupu on the Seattle Seahawks he flies to the ball where ever it is and is great off the blitz.

Knowing the Bengals D, they need someone who is a Run clogger and a sure tackler. they already have a pass Safe Linebacker in Dahani Jones. So Maualuga was a great Linebacker Pick for the Bengals.

its really hard to Compare but for both teams i think we made the safer choice. The reason is Laurinaitis is very smart, and doesn't let his eyes fool him while he pursues a tackler. he waits for the right moment then springs for the tackle.

Even though Maualuga is one of the Best Hitters that Ive seen since Ray Lewis, Hes a Linebacker that is better against the run, and the rams need the D-line to do that, We already have Will Witherspoon, whose a good "Brick-Wall" Type Defender, and can Stop the Run just as Good as Pisa did, while having the size advantage.

So in Conclusion, the Animal is the best choice. and my opinions are all based on how they performed in College, now i don't know how they will do in the NFL, with the game speed change; but we will see.

But in Comparison Laurinaitis = Ware. Might not Hit as hard, but in ball Pursuit when its in the air Ware is safer. Maualuga Compares more Closely to Merriman, who blitzes hard and can make big impact tackles.
    Maulauga: 4.6 40 at proday

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiianpunch View Post

Maualuga is hardly a sure tackler, he's a headhunter. Produces alot of highlights, but I wouldn't call him a sure thing when it comes to making the stop ...

Major30 is offline Registered User

Having watched Rey play at USC, He was more of a freelance linebacker. He makes a LOT of BIG plays and BIG hits, but can get caught overpursuing and sometimes takes himself out of plays being so aggressive. Cushing was kind of the Laurinaitis of the USC defense. I guess it boils down to the character issue and what Spags wants from his defense. I was hoping we would pick Maualuga cause I thought our defense could use a leader with a MEAN streak and who is a big hitter. I guess we'll see...

BEER is offline Registered User

They both dropped in the draft for a reason. Lets see who picks them self
    up first. My guess is Laurinaitis. He is bad ass and can still put on wait.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I keep hearing about character issues surrounding the choice for the Rams to pass on Maualuga. I don't think that's the case.

Rey is a big hitter but freelances and overshoots some plays. Going for the big hit all the time means you will often miss some easy tackles.

Laurinaitis isn't a flashy player but is smart, consistent, and has great football instincts. Someone's 4.3 speed can be easily negated if that player doesn't have the proper instincts (be able to see what's coming) or technique. Laurinaitis plays faster than he times because of his quickness and ability to read the offensive play. He takes great angles, avoids blockers and is patient, not overshooting the play. He is also disciplined; playing within the system - not taking himself out of position to try to make the big play all the time.

Both of these players might (and I think, will) end up being very solid NFL starters. However, one HUGE factor that fans often miss in evaluating a draft pick or FA is how that player fits into the scheme of what the team is running. Spags and Devaney obviously thought Laurinaitis was the better fit, so until I have reason to doubt their decisions, I will trust them on that.