RamWraith is offline Registered User

Lawmakers challenging league policy over sideline coverage

Rams | Lawmakers challenging league policy over sideline coverage
    Tue, 6 Feb 2007 21:14:20 -0800

The Associated Press reports two Missouri lawmakers are challenging a league policy which prohibits local television stations from covering games on the sidelines. Legislation filed Tuesday, Feb. 6, would force the NFL to allow local television cameras on the sidelines of games hosted by the St. Louis Rams The Rams play in a publicly subsidized stadium. Media denied reasonable sideline access could sue for damages. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league would review the policy this offseason.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Lawmakers challenging league policy over sideline coverage

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post

The Associated Press reports two Missouri lawmakers are challenging a league policy which prohibits local television stations from covering games on the sidelines. Legislation filed Tuesday, Feb. 6, would force the NFL to allow local television cameras on the sidelines of games hosted by the St. Louis Rams The Rams play in a publicly subsidized stadium. Media denied reasonable sideline access could sue for damages. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league would review the policy this offseason.
    If I'm understanding this correctly and the Public T.V. stations win this battle?
    Blackouts of Rams home games would be a thing of the past?

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I don't like that. Keep it so if you don't sell out you get blacked out. With our recent success and our history we should have no problem selling out.
    RamsFan16

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I don't think this has anything to do with the blackout rules. This is saying that the Rams have not allowed local coverage from the sidelines in the past. (i.e. reporters, cameras etc...) Now they are saying the Rams have no right to tell them they can't be there to cover the team as long as is it reasonable.

At least his is what I am getting out of this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    I don't like that. Keep it so if you don't sell out you get blacked out. With our recent success and our history we should have no problem selling out.
    If I'm reading this right? Again not sure? Why wouldn't a person that lives in the St Louis area want the Rams televised on a local station?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The Associated Press reports two Missouri lawmakers are challenging a league policy which prohibits local television stations from covering games ON THE SIDELINES!!!. Legislation filed Tuesday, Feb. 6, would force the NFL to allow local television cameras on the sidelines of games hosted by the St. Louis Rams The Rams play in a publicly subsidized stadium. Media denied reasonable sideline access could sue for damages. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league would review the policy this offseason.
    My take: This has nothing to do with whether or not games are sold out. It is simply a turf battle between national tv affiliates and local tv over access to the sidelines during games ,,,

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

My take on this is not that "local stations" can broadcast the game, but rather be able to film clips of the game for their broadcast (at which time the all-powerful NFl might lose control of some of their "property", ie:film clips and/or pictures) or interviews with players/coaches which might be distributed without the NFL making money off them.

Of course the NFL could grant access... FOR A FEE.....

RnD

GO RAMS!!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I think R & D hit it. It's the MONEY issue.

I like the idea of local stations having sideline access, to a point. If it causes any interference in the game at all, then the cameras need to be moved.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think this has anything to do with the blackout rules. This is saying that the Rams have not allowed local coverage from the sidelines in the past. (i.e. reporters, cameras etc...) Now they are saying the Rams have no right to tell them they can't be there to cover the team as long as is it reasonable.

At least his is what I am getting out of this.
    Unless I'm reading it wrong, I think it's the NFL, not the Rams, who are saying no local cameras on the sidelines.

My opinion on this one.....the games are the property of the NFL. The networks pay huge money in order to have the right to broadcast through their affiliates the games (ie. NFL property). I don't think the fact that the stadium was publically funded gives local television any right to telecast someone else's (NFL) property.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Hopefully this link will provide some clarification:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...630&type=story