Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30
  1. #16
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,596
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Lay off Chris Long already!

    I think Chris will be a fine player in time, but I don't think he'll ever be the sack-machine people expect him to be. I cautioned that at the time we drafted him. I think he'll be more like Grant Wistrom than Leonard Little. Solid but not spectacular.

    Problem is, we need either him or Leonard Little to be Leonard Little.


  2. #17
    ManofGod's Avatar
    ManofGod is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,526
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Lay off Chris Long already!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I think Chris will be a fine player in time, but I don't think he'll ever be the sack-machine people expect him to be. I cautioned that at the time we drafted him. I think he'll be more like Grant Wistrom than Leonard Little. Solid but not spectacular.

    Problem is, we need either him or Leonard Little to be Leonard Little.
    I expect for us to use a few players as trade bait next year in an effort to fill our various holes next year, it'll be interesting to see if he is one of those players but then again I suppose it all depends on how he performs as this year goes on.

  3. #18
    Mooselini's Avatar
    Mooselini is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,724
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Lay off Chris Long already!

    I can't believe some of the "fans" on here are so quick on the "bench him/cut him" ideas. They're still kids out there. It takes about three years in the league to really evaluate their play. So for some of the members busting these young players is just foolish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

  4. #19
    blood85's Avatar
    blood85 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Merced,California
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,336
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Lay off Chris Long already!

    We've go the right pieces coming into place for a solid defense, Long, James L, Otogwe, we are improving and getting better, .....the guys not a bust, if he is, so is the entire defense, which I know is NOT true.

  5. #20
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,335
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Lay off Chris Long already!

    To say Long is a bust when he is clearly already a solid defensive lineman is absurd.

    But I haven't seen a lot of evidence that he has that explosive first step that all really good pass rushers have or that he has the hands or moves to shed even average OTs. Maybe Spags can coach it out of him. We'll see.

    Even if Long ends up with respectable sack numbers, I'll be concerned if The Rams don't pick up a pass rush specialist next off-season.

  6. #21
    AlwaysBackwards's Avatar
    AlwaysBackwards is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sanger,California
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Lay off Chris Long already!

    Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    To say Long is a bust when he is clearly already a solid defensive lineman is absurd.

    But I haven't seen a lot of evidence that he has that explosive first step that all really good pass rushers have or that he has the hands or moves to shed even average OTs. Maybe Spags can coach it out of him. We'll see.

    Even if Long ends up with respectable sack numbers, I'll be concerned if The Rams don't pick up a pass rush specialist next off-season.
    You read my mind. we are in the exact position the Texans were a few years ago. everyone kept on criticizing how Mario Williams isn't doing good and how he hasn't lived up to the hype but look it him now. one of the best DE's in the game. So don't be so quick to judge on Chris Long remember he's had two different coaches in two years so let him adjust to spags system and watch him fluorish as a respectable DE.

  7. #22
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,335
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Lay off Chris Long already!

    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysBackwards View Post
    You read my mind. we are in the exact position the Texans were a few years ago. everyone kept on criticizing how Mario Williams isn't doing good and how he hasn't lived up to the hype but look it him now. one of the best DE's in the game. So don't be so quick to judge on Chris Long remember he's had two different coaches in two years so let him adjust to spags system and watch him fluorish as a respectable DE.
    I agree that there is good reason to believe Long can be a mainstay of the Rams DL for a long time. But I've never liked the Mario comparison.

    MW is a freak of an athlete. He was faster than Long at the Combine despite being 6'7", 295 to Chris' 6'3",272. Insanely strong(35 reps in the bench press) , quick, and explosive.

    My impression is that the only thing that held MW back in the NFL was his reportedly slackadaisical attitude.And he wasn't bad in his first couple of years,either; just not the beast that some folks believed he should be because of the hype.

    Not uncommon for extraordinarily gifted guys to coast on their ability in college and seemingly take a step back in their impact during their early NFL years, is it?

    I don't think Long has the same physical gifts but his background, work ethic, smarts, and motor will help to compensate. And , as you say, The Spags Effect can't hurt ,either.

    Wistrom is a much better comparison,imo.

  8. #23
    Dwight Frye's Avatar
    Dwight Frye is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Age
    47
    Posts
    875
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Lay off Chris Long already!

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    I expect for us to use a few players as trade bait next year in an effort to fill our various holes next year, it'll be interesting to see if he is one of those players.
    I would bet no. I think Chris is exactly the kind of player Spags is looking for. I love having Long and Laurinitis. The future is bright.

  9. #24
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,543
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Lay off Chris Long already!

    Also Long is not discipline and allows big runs to his side of the field do to his tendency to forget his assignment and head straight to the ball (he has to keep outside contain).
    Could not disagree more. In fact, Long has shown himself to be one of the most disciplined defenders on the roster, especially considering his lack of experience.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  10. #25
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,490
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Lay off Chris Long already!

    Actually, the guy who creates the most holes for big runs is Leonard Little. In trying to get into the backfield, he often leaves his lane and creates room to run.

  11. #26
    BIG-BLUE's Avatar
    BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Roseville,CA USA
    Age
    53
    Posts
    655
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Lay off Chris Long already!

    I have to say when I first read the title of this thread, all I could picture was the guy who was throwing the huge meltdown about the media picking apart Brittney Spears.
    Then I had this vision of AV melting down kinda like that over Chris Long. Ah just way to funny. Sorry AV just couldn't contain myself.
    But I have to agree with Hub on this, that Long is one of the most disciplined players on the team & with time his development as superior d-linemen will continue to flourish.

  12. #27
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,490
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Lay off Chris Long already!

    Something like this, eh?


    "Leave Chris Long alone!!!!!!!!!"

  13. #28
    Ahmedrams81's Avatar
    Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    642
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Lay off Chris Long already!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I can't believe some of the "fans" on here are so quick on the "bench him/cut him" ideas. They're still kids out there. It takes about three years in the league to really evaluate their play. So for some of the members busting these young players is just foolish.
    Good point bro. It took some of the NFL greats in the past 3 or 4 years to develop into the star players they became We can't be too quick to judge. Plus, I haven't seen anything to prove he could be a bust. He is very physically gifted and talented. Technique is all he needs to learn. The pieces are in place, he just needs time.

  14. #29
    BIG-BLUE's Avatar
    BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Roseville,CA USA
    Age
    53
    Posts
    655
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Lay off Chris Long already!

    Yea just like that

  15. #30
    Ahmedrams81's Avatar
    Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    642
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Lay off Chris Long already!

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Something like this, eh?


    "Leave Chris Long alone!!!!!!!!!"
    LOL! Nice one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Great Article on Chris Long
    By Rampingitup in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -10-03-2008, 11:12 AM
  2. Gordo Post Game Chat
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -09-08-2008, 08:23 AM
  3. Long Ready to Get Started
    By Rambos in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -04-28-2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Jim Thomas Chat --March 25
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -03-25-2008, 06:58 PM
  5. Gordo Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -03-17-2008, 07:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •