r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

LB Vabora Returns After "Humbling Experience"

10.28.2009 4:27 pm
    LB Vobora returns after “humbling experience”
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Linebacker David Vobora was on the practice field for the St. Louis Rams on Wednesday for the first time since being slapped with a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing substances. Vobora spent most of the time with the first-team defense at strongside linebacker, where he’d been starting before his banishment.

Sitting out for a month “was the hardest thing I’ve ever gone through,” Vobora said. “Having to watch on TV and watch my teammates, it was rough. It was definitely a humbling experience.”

Vobora said he informed Rams officials in July about the failed test. “I approached Coach Spags and Billy Devaney and I said, ‘Listen, here’s the exact situation. I have nothing to hide.’ . . . They kept me around; they could’ve easily said, ‘Too bad, we don’t want to deal with it.’ But they stuck by me.”

Coach Steve Spagnuolo liked what he saw of Vobora on Wednesday. “He had some fresh legs. When he did some kickoff stuff with the special teams, he was ahead of everybody,” Spagnuolo said. “He surfaced and climbed his way to starting SAM linebacker (during training camp). He worked his butt off all offseason. He deserved being a starter.”

Notes & quotes:

*As expected, Adam Goldberg was at RG with the first-team offense in the absence of Richie Incognito, who is out with a foot injury. Alex Barron was at LT and rookie Jason Smith at RT.

*Mark Setterstrom got a few first-team reps at LG.

*WR Ruvell Martin was a full participant at practice for the first time since he injured a hamstring three weeks ago.

*DE C.J. Ah You (ankle) didn’t practice. DE James Hall (groin) and CB Justin King (groin) were limited. G/T John Greco was absent because of a family matter. He’ll practice tomorrow, Spagnuolo said.

*This week’s captains are WR Keenan Burton (offense), DE James Hall (defense) and LB Paris Lenon (special teams).

*Spagnuolo indicated that Martin and/or Brandon Gibson, acquired last week in the Will Witherspoon trade, could suit up Sunday in Detroit.

All for now…

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: LB Vabora Returns After "Humbling Experience"

On its face, Vobora's explanation seems plausible, but I've been lied to too many times to believe any athlete when it comes to a failed drug test. Sad that it's come to that, but it is what it is. Unless it is somehow proven that he's telling the truth, he's just another cheater who has hurt his team.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I just hope he can come back into the line up and contribute. Put this behind and move forward.

Keenan Burton a captain? I don't think any of the receivers on this team deserve to be here, yet a captain on the team.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Keenan Burton a captain? I don't think any of the receivers on this team deserve to be here, yet a captain on the team.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, Moose- it appears though that Spags alternates captains each week and has a different rep from each unit (offense, defense, special teams) in the hopes that maybe some of these guys will step up. Eight weeks in and we're still waiting...