Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: At least this certain someone had balls...

bruce4life is offline Registered User

At least this certain someone had balls...

Mr.mike martz....

When he coached you always knew that we would at least be competitive.... Enoug said
    HUbison and ljcrayton like this.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Re: At least this certain someone had balls...

As much as I disliked Martz I will have to say he never gave up on a game, he was a fighter.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I always said that tons of Rams fans wouldnt appreciate Martz until he was gone. Timeouts and special teams notwithstanding, the guy was a winner. That has not been the case since he left. No question Martz had great talent, but he still won an awful lot of games with that talent.
    I would personally have no problem if he was rehired, although i view that as a massive longshot.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RealRam and HUbison like this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Couldn't disagree more....

Mike Martz inherited a good team, and HE started the distruction of it by letting key players go and drafting poorly. Yeah, his offensive play style was "all out all the time", and it worked with the right personnel, but Mike Martz was a horrible HC and leader. His track record proves that.

Let's look at it from another prospective. Put Martz in charge of the current Rams team with all the injuries. Would he be more successful? No way. But put Spags and McD in charge of the 2000-2004 Rams. Would they have been as successful as Martz? Hell yes. ...and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have blown the SB to the Patriots or the playoff game against the Panthers like Martz did.

Nuff said. No to Martz.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I think there are valid arguments on both sides. Martz was an excellent o-coordinator. That cannot be taken away from him and it is unfair to suggest that any success he had was only because of great talent. It takes a certain kind of person to mold that talent and make them collectively successful, and Martz did that. And speaking to the title of the thread, he DID INDEED have balls, but was sometimes TOO BALLSY for the Rams own good, taking risks when none were warranted and subjecting his QB to hellacious beatings.

It is easy to wax poetic about how great Martz was in light of the current pathetic state of our offense, but let's not play fast and loose with the truth. He was not a great head coach. And the greatest proof of that lie in his performance against New England in SB XXXVI. Great coaches don't have their team unprepared on the biggest stage nor do they all but ignore a future hall-of-fame running back. How many head jobs has Martz been offered since he left the Rams? How often do you hear Mike martz' name when head coaching vacancies arise?

'Nuff said.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    ...and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have blown the SB to the Patriots or the playoff game against the Panthers like Martz did.
    Yep, Mike Martz didn't have balls when it counted most, in the playoff loss to Carolina. Steamrolling a reeling, gased Panther defense to their 15 yard line, trailing by 3 with 39 seconds to go and 1 timeout, Martz stood on the sideline with a smirk on his face and let the clock tick, tick, tick, tick down to 3 seconds, and then kicked the tying FG. He didn't have the guts to take a few shots at the endzone, or even give Faulk, who had been gashing the Panthers defense, a try to make something happen. That decision cost the Rams and was the end of the GSOT. I'm getting steamed just writing about it as I remember screaming at the TV, CALL A TIMEOUT, CALL A TIMEOUT!!!!!!!

There's a reason not a single NFL team has offered Matrz a head coaching position.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Good 'pros & cons' posts above, I like the arguments both ways.

Myself, I always rooted for MM although I admit this was difficult at times. But I do agree in that he used the Rams talent to its extreme, i.e., scoring left and right, setting NFL records for most points and truly helping said talent into superstardom. I seriously doubt such achievements would have been the same with a different HC or OC back then.

In other words, there was a real method to the madness of Mike Martz. In this regard I thus concur w/ B4life.

'Nuff is in the house -- Nuff said!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Yep, Mike Martz didn't have balls when it counted most, in the playoff loss to Carolina. Steamrolling a reeling, gased Panther defense to their 15 yard line, trailing by 3 with 39 seconds to go and 1 timeout, Martz stood on the sideline with a smirk on his face and let the clock tick, tick, tick, tick down to 3 seconds, and then kicked the tying FG. He didn't have the guts to take a few shots at the endzone, or even give Faulk, who had been gashing the Panthers defense, a try to make something happen. That decision cost the Rams and was the end of the GSOT. I'm getting steamed just writing about it as I remember screaming at the TV, CALL A TIMEOUT, CALL A TIMEOUT!!!!!!!

There's a reason not a single NFL team has offered Matrz a head coaching position.
    Such glorious days. Back when the Rams played games that actually mattered.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Here's the bottomline on Martz:

1. Yes, he's a great O-Coordinator.
    2. No, he did not inherit a great team. He helped build a great team. Unless anyone would like to argue the '98 team was great.
    3. Yes, his ego did get in the way.
    4. Yes, the caustic relationship with the Incompetent-in-Chief, Jay Zygmunt ruined what should have been many years of success.

I don't know that I'm sold in him coming back here, but I am very intrigued to see what he could do with Zygmunt-free team.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Mad Mike is what we need to get this offense going.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

2. No, he did not inherit a great team. He helped build a great team. Unless anyone would like to argue the '98 team was great.
    4. Yes, the caustic relationship with the Incompetent-in-Chief, Jay Zygmunt ruined what should have been many years of success.

I don't know that I'm sold in him coming back here, but I am very intrigued to see what he could do with Zygmunt-free team.
    I think where Martz really failed the Rams the most, was with his arrogance on draft day. Id give Martz all the credit in the world, for the job he did, once he was handed the keys to the offense.
    But he was never the catalyst behind the Rams. I give that credit to Dick Vermeil. Mike Martz inherited a good, solid roster from DV and basically ran with it. It didnt take him long before his inexperience and arrogance started showing up. Because of Martz's obsession with the offense, he neglected to strengthen the defense and ST's, wasting valuable draft picks on his pet projects. This guy destroyed the Rams in my opinion. He just couldnt see the big picture as a HC.

I hope the Rams set their sights a lot higher than this guy. He is a joke as a franchise builder.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -12-07-2011 at 12:31 PM.
    PARamfan likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

I agree. People fail to recognize that Martz never had a pro scout on his staff to evaluate free agent signings and they purchased scouting reports for the draft (the cheap way to do things and the way the Bengals and Big Red did things - it's known to fail - it's how internet geniuses rank players). People blame Martz for things that were completely out of his control. He never should have been made GM but who's to say a GM would have helped with the structure in place?

Martz was a difference maker who made things dynamic. Before he arrived the Rams were tied with the Bengals for the worst record in the NFL for the previous decade (wait, I thought he inherited a great team?). Since he's left the Rams have been one of the worst franchises again. In the short time he was here we went to three NFC Championship games and won 2 of them. Obviously that's the sort of success the Rams should consider a failure and they should destroy in favor of the awesome Linehan. [/eyeroll]

People routinely ignore or fail to remember that prior to the '99 season, Vermeil wanted Banks to stay at QB, Martz was forced on him & Vermeil didn't want Faulk because he was threatening to hold out for a new contract (why Indy traded him). Our starting WR in '98 was Eddie Kennison, he started 13 games and ended the season with 17 receptions. That's what was considered acceptable with Vermeil.

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

Simply put...Mike Martz and Spags aren't too different.

Mike Martz inherited a pretty good team and he used his concept of "we just have to keep scoring" to totally ruin the Rams.

Steve Spags inherited a pretty awful team and he is using his concept of "we just have to stop them from scoring" to totally ruin the Rams.

My point is, we don't need one-sided coaches. If you focus on offense like Martz you end up failing and if you focus on defense like Spags, you end up failing. Point is, we need an experience coach who knows how to mold all 3 phases of football...not just one.

In my opinion, Martz and Spags are the same...one is just offensive minded the other is defensive minded.
    PARamfan likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Mike Martz...

Extremely flawed and extremely missed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast