Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: At least this certain someone had balls...

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: At least this certain someone had balls...

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Im just trying to get a clearer picture, of what went on. Its been a long time.
    A long time it has been, GD39.

And it was indeed ... often ... a clearer picture for the better, winning more games, providing a MUCH better present record, controversies and all. I enjoyed that era, albeit perfection was not accomplished. Repeating an NFL SB is so tough and trying, even getting there is quite a merit.

I do suspect, however, the Rams would be amidst much better circumstances ... "controversies and all". At least a better development for the Rams current offense.

Last edited by RealRam; -12-08-2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Ram

PARamfan is offline Registered User

This killed me , mike as I watched it, and now looking back it was actually the last real shot this team has had at a Super Bowl in a long time squandered away by that nitwit.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Vermeil did nothing with this team until Martz came along. Nothing.
    Really??? Nothing?? I'd like to think that, well, since alot of people were willing to give Spags three years, and everyone who wasn't on S.L.O.P. wanted to give Linehan 3 years, IN Vermeil's THIRD year he put it all together and not only got to the playoffs but won the SUPER BOWL as the HEAD COACH of the Rams. And this was not the first time he took a team in a sorry state and took them to a SUPER BOWL in a couple years so I believe he has a track record of being someone who can evaluate talent, and coach them to their fullest potential. His first two years record wise may not have been stellar but the seeds of success were planted in those years and it took adding the final couple of pieces to win it. Don't forget in that great season they LOST the starting QB that Martz had the team go after and under a lousy leader that team just folds and has the built in excuse. Well, we all know what happened after that. Teams reflect their leader, their head coach and the confidence, leadership, and work ethic that make DV a great coach made that team the Champions they were.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PARamfan View Post
    Really??? Nothing?? I'd like to think that, well, since alot of people were willing to give Spags three years, and everyone who wasn't on S.L.O.P. wanted to give Linehan 3 years, IN Vermeil's THIRD year he put it all together and not only got to the playoffs but won the SUPER BOWL as the HEAD COACH of the Rams.
    Yes, that's right. That 3rd year was a beautiful thing.

1997 - Vermeil w/o Martz - 5-11
    1998 - Vermeil w/o Martz - 4-12
    1999 - Vermeil with Martz - 13-3 SB Champions

Here's to hoping the next HC has all the pieces in place as well.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

MM failed us bad, doubters need to look no further than SB 36....still ticked about that....and I don't want here any of you say "get over it " crap....let me worry about that..

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

There is something about Mike Martz. I really don't care what anyone else will say or has said - the guy can coach. He's proven that and the record backs it up. I still feel that he is the best coach the Rams have ever had in my lifetime as a Rams fan. He has a certain way with players. He gets them to play at a high level and he often makes them better overall. I think that is evident in Marshall Faulk's unwavering high regard for Martz. I don't know about the rest of you, but I personally have not found Marshall to be too far off base when it comes to football insight.

Sure, I'm still pissed about some of the things that went down under his tenure, but all coaches make mistakes. However, not all of them admit when they were wrong. Martz will do that and I respect a guy that admits when he's wrong.

As far as him being the HC of the Rams again, I would not have a problem with it, but I doubt it happens. Certainly, in my mind it would not be as bad as the second coming of Chuck Knox. Also, I've read alot of posts advocating Jeff Fisher for the Rams next HC. As far as I'm concerned, Mike Martz is far and away a better HC than Fisher.

RealRam likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmaidenram View Post
    MM failed us bad, doubters need to look no further than SB 36
    You mean the super bowl the Rams were playing in, and not just watching on TV? Cause I gotta tell you......losing in a Super Bowl is looking pretty dadgum good right now.
    RealRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123