Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Special One is offline Registered User

LeCharles Bentley released - We should grab him

ESPN - Day after returning to practice, Bentley released - NFL

I know this isn't really related to us, but I wanted to post it in Ram talk because I really think we should go after LeCharles. He was released today by the Browns because he felt that he could not start on that team.

The Center position is the one position that we're still very uncertain about on the O-Line. We've got great competition going on right now between Romberg and Incognito, but I think signing Bentley would make a lot of sense. We have hardly any depth at the position.

Sure, he's missed every game of the last two seasons and NEVER played for Cleveland. But back with the Saints he was easily a Top 5 Center in the league and was dominant.

He's gone through a lot of rehab, and I think with time, he could very well return to his Pro Bowl form. We don't look great at the C position, and that's why we should go get him. If it turns out he just can never fully recover from his injuries, we can let him go.

But if he finds his old self again and returns to being a real force on the O-Line, we will have grabbed a massive steal.

What do you guys think?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: LeCharles Bentley released - We should grab him

Can never have to much depth, and itd make sense to pick him up and give him a shot.

shower beers is offline Registered User

He's fragile, but if he's really returned to a form similar to his earlier playing days, than he can easily be our starter. He's my starter on Madden and hasn't missed a game. Come on now!

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User
    what do we got to lose? i hope we at least bring him in, he passed a pyshical for the browns....
    Built RAM tough

general counsel is offline Registered User

If someone pays him to be a starter, it isnt going to be us. It would be great to take a flyer on him at short money, but how much do you want to pay for a guy that hasnt played in two years? Also, we have moved incognito back to center so i dont think you can really look at our prior performance in that area since we have effectively added a new and talented guy into the mix.

Dont get me wrong, i would rather have all the talented guys we can get, i am just not buying into how healthy he is and its really a function of how much money he wants. His current health is a matter of sheer speculation.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I would have to think that he thinks we could be a good spot for him to land, as we have a promising left side and a right side that can hold its own while healthy. Our center position isn't set yet and he wants to start.

Our issue is the money. The simple fact is, we sign him for the vet minimum, with escalation clauses in there for being a starter, games played in, percentage of snaps, pro bowl, all-pro, that kinda thing so that we pay for what we get. If he's rusty from being gone for two years, then we pay him like a backup. If he comes and helps us make the playoffs, we should pay him like such. Yes our money's tight, but if he's game, we could put the clauses to increase the cash next year maybe. Give him a good roster bonus next offseason.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

If the issue is money, we ought to offer him an incentive laden contract based on playing time. Given the uncertainty at that position on the team right now, I'd definitely want to get him in here for a workout, a physical, and some talks.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I just hope that if we can get him, he comes cheap. If he doesn't make it as starter, he'd be pretty good depth.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Hasn't he been injured for two years?

You just want him because his name starts with "Le"....lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Hasn't he been injured for two years?

You just want him because his name starts with "Le"....lol
    Oh, he's got your number!

I want him on the team! Get him Clan!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I dont want him

First of all, he wants to play guard, not center. We have Bell at LG, Setterstrom is penciled in at RG and we have some youthful backups who could start like Scheuning or even Greco. The only position we could use a starter is C, but Incognito seems to be the one for us there this year

Second, the guy hasnt played in two years after some terrible injuries and is so arrogant that he thinks he can get a starting job despite this? So much so that he asks for his release from the Browns? He should have stayed with the Browns who were so very patient with him during his recovery, but he ups and leaves at the first chance he gets. I dont want a guy like that on the team.

Third:
    He's coming off a bunch of knee surgeries and was apparently timed in the 7s when the Browns asked him to run forties for his physical
    This is from Adam Schefter, reported on Rotoworld. 7s in the 40? And he thinks he can be picky about where he plays? No thanks, we dont need him on the team

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I wouldn't call it arrogance. When he was last fit to play, he was considered one of if not the best at his position. This was pretty much the first big injury of his career. I'm not surprised that he thinks he can return to his previous form. It is odd that he asked for his release, though, given all the hype when he signed with the Browns about getting to play for the team he grew up watching.

You're right, tomahawk, they shelled out a lot of money over the last two seasons on a player who wasn't able to contribute on the field. A little loyalty would be nice.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

He couldn't take the starting Center job from Hank Fraley. Fraley, though solid and dependable, is less than spectacular. If he can't man down Fraley in a head-to-head competition, I don't know that I'm interested.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I dont want him

First of all, he wants to play guard, not center. We have Bell at LG, Setterstrom is penciled in at RG and we have some youthful backups who could start like Scheuning or even Greco. The only position we could use a starter is C, but Incognito seems to be the one for us there this year

Second, the guy hasnt played in two years after some terrible injuries and is so arrogant that he thinks he can get a starting job despite this? So much so that he asks for his release from the Browns? He should have stayed with the Browns who were so very patient with him during his recovery, but he ups and leaves at the first chance he gets. I dont want a guy like that on the team.

Third:

This is from Adam Schefter, reported on Rotoworld. 7s in the 40? And he thinks he can be picky about where he plays? No thanks, we dont need him on the team
    He wants to play G this is new news for me. Where did you get that information?

The guy had a knee injury that developed a staff infection. He was not injured as some of you reported many times. He had several surgeries to clean up the infection it was life threatening not career threatening. He should be ready to go if the knee has fully healed and he's in shape.

If he can pass a physical then the Rams should take a serious look at this guy.

GO RAMS

The Special One is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    He wants to play G this is new news for me. Where did you get that information?

The guy had a knee injury that developed a staff infection. He was not injured as some of you reported many times. He had several surgeries to clean up the infection it was life threatening not career threatening. He should be ready to go if the knee has fully healed and he's in shape.

If he can pass a physical then the Rams should take a serious look at this guy.
    Yeah, sometimes I completely forget about the infection. He passed his physical and is raring to go for next season. Fraley was solid last season and the Browns told LeCharles he'd be competing against him as a backup. You can't really blame him for backing out of the situation. Sure, he hasn't played in two years, but he was a Pro Bowl caliber Center and arguably THE best C in the league back with the Saints. From what I've heard, he looks in great shape and is beginning to find his old form, at least in practice.

He couldn't take the starting Center job from Hank Fraley. Fraley, though solid and dependable, is less than spectacular. If he can't man down Fraley in a head-to-head competition, I don't know that I'm interested.
    Who said he couldn't take the starting job from Fraley? He was hardly given a chance to. When the Browns signed him, he was 100% going to be their starter. Obviously he fell to injuries and the infection and never ended up playing for them. He never had the opportunity to take the job from Fraley. The only reason Fraley became the starter in the first place was because LeCharles was out for two seasons in a row. Trust me, at his best, LeCharles is 10x the player Fraley will ever be. He just came back to the team after two seasons on IR, and it was clear the Browns couldn't be certain enough to give him the starting job straight away. They wanted him to compete with Fraley and LeCharles just wasn't prepared to do that, especially consisdering the standard he was playing at before and he felt he could play at now.

I just think it makes too much sense to not give him a shot on the team. It's not like he's a Tackle, it's the fact that he's a C and it's by far our weakest point on the O-Line. There's absolutely nothing to lose. If he struggles to stay healthy and can't compete with Romberg and Incognito, then fine, we'll give one of the other guys the starting job. But if he can somehow return to his old form, he'll be going to the Pro Bowl and we'd all of a sudden have an extremely dominant O-Line.

First of all, he wants to play guard, not center.
    You have a link to that? I find that hard to believe. He's played his whole career at Center, he's made the Pro Bowl at Center, why would he now all of a sudden want to play at Guard? Doesn't make much sense.

Anyhow, I think it would be a mistake not to sign him. There's nothing at all to lose, and either way, it'd be nice make that competition for starter even more competitive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast