RamWraith is offline Registered User

Leckey is Ramsí feel-good story

By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

A month ago, Nick Leckey was a long shot to make the Ramsí 53-man roster. Now, heís making a run at Brett Rombergís first-team centerís job.

ďThatís a fair assessment at this point,Ē coach Scott Linehan said. ďThereís nothing that Brett did do or didnít do; he just hasnít been able to be as effective because of his (broken) hand. Nick has gone in there and played really well.Ē

It ranks as a pretty solid feel-good story. Leckey was a starter for the Cardinals for most of 2005 and Ď06 until new coach Ken Whisenhunt decided he wanted to go with different personnel. Soon Leckey was on the street, released after the second game last year.

Leckey, stunned by the move, signed with the Rams but didnít suit up until the injuries on the offensive line reached critical mass. He wound up starting three games, but at guard, a position heíd never played before.

Itís been obvious since the spring that Leckey is much better-suited for center, and now heís proving that he didnít earn those starts in Arizona for nothing.

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

>>Second-year CB Jonathan Wade appears to have won the nickel-back spot.

>>RB Brian Leonard said the sprained right shoulder he suffered Saturday night vs. the Chargers had nothing to do with the shoulder problems he had last year. Leonard had offseason surgery on both joints. His status for Saturdayís third preseason contest, vs. the Ravens at the Dome, is questionable.

>>It looks like T Orlando Pace, coming back from shoulder surgery, might not be 100 percent by the regular-season opener. Heís still working on the mental part of recovering from such a serious injury.

>>QB Marc Bulger threw well in practice Monday. He got a scare when his right shoulder was jolted Saturday, but he reported no ill effects.

>>G Roy Schuening never missed a game at Oregon State, so maybe he has some secret info he can impart to the Rams, who have been brutalized by O-line injuries? Uh, no. . . ďItís all luck,Ē Schuening said. ďThere were guy that got hurt all around me. I was real lucky that nothing major every happened to me.Ē

All for now . . .

RamOfDenmark Guest

Re: Leckey is Rams’ feel-good story

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    >>Second-year CB Jonathan Wade appears to have won the nickel-back spot.
    Hmm, guess that means Ron Bartell is sliding down the depth chart again. Looks like a(nother) wasted 2nd round pick, kind of depressing. We just can't seem to find a good CB, who was the last actual good CB we had? Dre' Bly?

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Re: Leckey is Ramsí feel-good story

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    We just can't seem to find a good CB, who was the last actual good CB we had? Dre' Bly?
    Aeneas Williams was very good.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fiertť, et que vous ne l‚chez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chŤre, mais la rťcompense en vaut la peine.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    Hmm, guess that means Ron Bartell is sliding down the depth chart again. Looks like a(nother) wasted 2nd round pick, kind of depressing. We just can't seem to find a good CB, who was the last actual good CB we had? Dre' Bly?
    Or that Brown has yet to be available, and Bartell is actually starting at CB. Bartell and Hill have been the 1 & 2 corners the whole preseason.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Torry Holt View Post
    Aeneas Williams was very good.
    But he played safety in his later years here. I'd say it probably was Bly. Since then, we've gone through a long phase of having talented young guys with potential who never really seem to take that next step up. Fisher, Butler, Groce...and since then Bartell, Hill, Wade, King...not to say none of them will emerge as a really good corner, but none have cemented their reputation as a really solid player at the position yet.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -08-19-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    But he played safety in his later years here. I'd say it probably was Bly.
    Yea, but he didn't get really good until he left here. He only started one season with the Rams. But I completely agree there's not a lot to choose from. Butler had a couple of decent years, Lyght had a good run in '99, Williams was All-Pro at CB in '01 but, as you said, he spent most of the rest of his career at FS.

Just not a lot to choose from in the past decade.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

With this situation at center I wonder where and if Dustin Fry will have a place on this team. When we drafted him, I had high hopes that he would be the center of this team for years to come. Now I don't know if he will even be on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post

>>G Roy Schuening never missed a game at Oregon State, so maybe he has some secret info he can impart to the Rams, who have been brutalized by O-line injuries? Uh, no. . . ďItís all luck,Ē Schuening said. ďThere were guy that got hurt all around me. I was real lucky that nothing major every happened to me.Ē
    Good to hear that for once we have someone who can stay healthy on this line.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

If Bartell is indeed sliding down the depth chart, that's fine by me because he's proven himself to be a serviceable Corner and FS, and it can only mean that Wade is panning out as hoped. Last year Bartell was far and away our 3rd best corner, and it's unlikely that he'd regress year to year, so I'm upbeat if he's becoming the dime back.

Or, Hub's correct and Bartell hasn't been able to practice at Nickel because he's been starting.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I agree with hub I think Bartell has moved up and Hill and Bartell are 1&2, but where does that leave Brown who has missed most of training camp.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I agree with hub I think Bartell has moved up and Hill and Bartell are 1&2, but where does that leave Brown who has missed most of training camp.
    Well that's the thing.......with Brown injured for all of camp, it's a guessing game as to who goes where on opening day. Assuming Brown is ready for week 1, my guess is Hill & Brown at Corner; Bartell at Nickel.

I assume when they say Wade is the starter at Nickel, they refer to the upcoming game, not the regular season. But I'm just assuming.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I think what the deal is is that they're not expecting Brown to be ready for the start of ther season. Bartell's at CB.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".