Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramhard is offline Registered User

Len P. positive comments on Rams FO

from Len P. of Espn.com:

Kudos to John Shaw and Jay Zygmunt, the St. Louis Rams' dual team presidents, for their masterful handling of the Orlando Pace situation this week. When their franchise left offensive tackle visited with Houston Texans officials and coaches on Monday, the Rams did not panic, as some have contended. Oh, sure, they made Pace a multi-year contract offer, yet that was planned. But basically, Shaw and Zygmunt let the hand play out. And, truth be told, it was a hand they could hardly lose. Had the Texans signed Pace to an offer sheet, St. Louis would have had a week to match its terms, or allow its coveted pass protector to change addresses, while grabbing a pair of first-round picks from Houston as compensation for the signing. Clearly, the Texans were hoping they could sign Pace, and then get the Rams to agree to a trade for something less than the two first-rounders that a franchised player mandates as compensation. The St. Louis rationale was a sound but also simple one: If Houston signed Pace to a long-term deal, the Texans would have, in essence, negotiated the deal for the Rams, who for the past two springs had been unable to get him to agree to a multi-year contract. Under such a scenario, the Rams would have examined the offer sheet and, if the terms were palatable, would have matched it. Even if it was for a bit more than the Rams wanted to pay.

But let's be serious here: How much more could Houston have offered than the $52.9 million the Rams ended up paying? Had the offer been substantially more, St. Louis would have taken the draft picks. Could the Rams have founded a viable replacement for Pace with the 13th overall selection in the draft, which they would have gotten as part of the compensation package? Likely not. But they weren't about to be pressured by the Texans, stood their ground, and ended up with the long-term agreement they wanted all along.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Len P. positive comments on Rams FO

Take that, Bernie! :tongue:

general counsel Guest

Ramming Speed to ziggy and shaw. By the way, before the falcons playoff game, when ziggy walked behind the rams bench and i screamed out a hello to him, calling him by name, he got a huge smile on his face and waived to me. I am sure he is not used to being recognized by the fans. I am still trying to get a baseball signed by ziggy, shaw and armey. I have baseballs signed individually by armey and georgia.

general counsel

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I'm so used to seeing Walt Jockety of the Cardinals make genius decisions season after season. Perhaps the Rams front office will make a few genius decisions of their own.

The Pace contract signing comes to mind.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Ramming Speed to ziggy and shaw. By the way, before the falcons playoff game, when ziggy walked behind the rams bench and i screamed out a hello to him, calling him by name, he got a huge smile on his face and waived to me. I am sure he is not used to being recognized by the fans. I am still trying to get a baseball signed by ziggy, shaw and armey. I have baseballs signed individually by armey and georgia.

general counsel
    Just a thought GC did you get Maguire to sign a football?That would be funny.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -02-02-2006 at 10:17 PM.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Yodude is offline Registered User

So much for chaos in the front office. :bored:
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

RamTime Guest

That's Not what I remember. I remember the Rams offer being in the 45 million dollar neighborhood comparable to other Rams top contracts. That said, how does 52.9 million stack up to 45 million? Sure it was two years ago however one must remember the franchise millions Pace received over those same two years. I think Pace got the better of the deal and I think L.P. doesn't have all the information one needs to make such a statement. On the flip side, I'm glad the Pace ordeal is behind us now and we can move forward.

Just Get It Done Rams - RamTime

coy bacon is offline Registered User

I would have took the 2 number 1 draft picks and whatever else we could have gotten for Pace.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    I would have took the 2 number 1 draft picks and whatever else we could have gotten for Pace.
    We weren't getting two number one picks, let alone anything else on top of that.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    We weren't getting two number one picks, let alone anything else on top of that.
    That's not what Coy said! He said HE would take 2#1's. Anybody in his right mind wouldn't take any less for one of the best linemen in the game! We got him signed and that is all that matters now! Now comes the draft. The more I think about FA, we didn't do all that great, but we did fill the LB'S spots! Which also should help our special teams. :redface: But the draft is gonna make us or break us! We need impact not projects!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    That's not what Coy said! He said HE would take 2#1's.
    I know what he said. What I'm saying is that while he would take that, he's not going to find anyone offering it.

That was the ploy of the FO! Claps everyone claps! Nick it's sunday you better take that girl of yours out for a sunset drive! And save your sundays for the season.LOL

She's working, unfortunately. We did something this morning though.

Good man! :redface:

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Bah, if anyone offered 2 number 1s, I'd trade Pace in a second. I know they hype associated with him. I think he's overrated.

I don't think the draft is where our answers lie. I do not believe that any #1 defensive draft pick is going to have an impact this year. I know there are exceptions but usually most guys need a season or 2 to have impact. I'd rather trade the number ones we get for Pace for proven players.

Just my line of thinking. Pace is signed and staying. He should do a fine job. I'm worried about the defense. I'm sounding like Tx from last year. Weird.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast