Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Leonard bulking up

From Rotoworld:

Brian Leonard-RB-Rams May. 15 - 7:06 pm et

Rams RB Brian Leonard, recovering from surgery on both his shoulders, participated at Organized Team Activities Thursday.
    Two injured shoulders prevented Leonard from strenuous weight room activity as a rookie. He's up to 235 pounds now and will probably be asked to get even bigger. Leonard will line up at fullback more this season.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Leonard bulking up

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    From Rotoworld:

Brian Leonard-RB-Rams May. 15 - 7:06 pm et

Rams RB Brian Leonard, recovering from surgery on both his shoulders, participated at Organized Team Activities Thursday.
    Two injured shoulders prevented Leonard from strenuous weight room activity as a rookie. He's up to 235 pounds now and will probably be asked to get even bigger. Leonard will line up at fullback more this season.
    Bring on the all-you-can-eat pasta and potato buffet! Then hit the desserts!!!
    Skip the light beers too...

Why couldn't that be me?

eric2810 is offline Registered User

The complete article is on NFL. com headlines Ram's Wraith.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Here's the full article....

Linehan expects improvement from Leonard in second season
    Associated Press
    Posted: 1 hours 48 minutes ago

ST. LOUIS -- After offseason surgery on both shoulders, St. Louis Rams fullback Brian Leonard will be bigger, and expects to be better, in 2008.

The 2007 second-round draft pick gained 303 yards on 86 carries for a pedestrian 3.5 yards per carry in his rookie season for the 3-13 Rams. Then again, he was playing with two bad shoulder that limited his ability to bulk up for the rigors of play in the NFL.

Leonard said surgeons "cleaned out" both shoulders and tightened the joints. Now able to push the weights harder, he's already increased his weight to 235 pounds from 226 pounds.

"I feel a lot stronger," he said Thursday after an organized team activity at Rams Park.

Coach Scott Linehan expects improvement. In fact, he he's seeing progress already, mentally and physically.

"He's still a young player," Linehan said. "Brian is handling a lot of things that I don't think we could have put on him a year ago."

Leonard acknowledges there was a lot to learn.

"It's like night and day," he said. "I feel sort of sorry for those rookies coming in now. It's such a tough year to get through and come out and perform at your best and live a different life."

Leonard split time between fullback and tailback last season, subbing for Steven Jackson when the starter missed four games with a partially torn groin muscle and when he left a game with a bulging disc.

Leonard's best showing was against Arizona when he gained 102 yards on 18 carries. He caught 30 passes for 103 yards last season.

Leonard was a tailback in his first three seasons at Rutgers before moving to fullback his senior year. He holds Rutgers team records for receptions (207), points (272) and all-purpose yards (5,921).

During last week's minicamp and now in the OTAs, Leonard is seeing double duty at both halfback and fullback in the offense being installed by new coordinator Al Saunders.

"He's going to play fullback for us in certain packages and he'll be the halfback in others," Linehan said. "He's got to know both. That's what makes his role so valuable. He's got to know both and he's got to be good at both."

It isn't easy. Saunders runs a complicated offense.

"They say it's one of the hardest offenses to learn," Leonard said. "It has been tough. I'm doing my studying to get it right."

Linehan also hopes to see Leonard become more productive on special teams.

"I think that will be something he can make a lot of strides in," Linehan said.

Leonard said, "Special teams is one of the big reasons they drafted me. They wanted me to come here and be versatile and do different things."

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I hope he becomes a good FB. We kinda need a good one.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

He has the right attitude to be, and that was certain coming out of Rutgers, when he realized that Ray Rice needed to be on the field and so he willingly took on the FB role. It's that kind of versatile player that helps win championships because he'll help out however he can. I'm glad we got him, though probably not for a mid 2nd rounder, but I definitely think that he can become a good roleplayer for us, like a Mike Alstott.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

He will be a nice pass catcher in Saunders offense I think that will be his best usage were he will be the best. As a tun blocker not extremely sure yet

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I hope that extra weight wont prevent him from still being able to do his trademark Leonard Leap.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Might go into the Leonard "roll" if he gets too big.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I hope that extra weight wont prevent him from still being able to do his trademark Leonard Leap.
    I was worried about that too. It's so cool, I'd hate to see him lose it.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

im fearing for the leonard leap as well
    but if he bulks up his legs enough maybe he can get a more poweful leap and jump into the endzone from 30 yards out

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I still really don't like this pick. We had a good fullback and we let him go, we then spend a 2nd rounder, with serious needs at a lot of other positions, to get a FB/HB hybrid and try to make him into a full-fledged NFL caliber FB.

You never know how well he will be able to play with that extra weight when he hasn't done it before, he had a hard time adjusting to the speed of the NFL last year and this year he'll try again with 10 or 15 pounds more to carry. In any case I always have a very hard time supporting a 2nd rounder for a FB - you can get an excellent blocking FB in rounds 5-7 and spend that 2nd rounder on a premium position instead. And now we're talking about putting him on special teams, that doesn't exactly fill me with more confidence in our choice.

I'm even more skeptic now than I was when we picked him - if we had tried him as a HB and it had worked out and he was a very capable backup for Steven Jackson then you could justify a 2nd rounder. But not on a FB IMO - and I don't even think he's good enough as a HB prospect when you look at where he was drafted either. I hate to nag on him because he seems like a great character and very passionate about winning - but I think we made a mistake drafting him.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree completely with our brother from Denmark. No knock against brian leonard, but i still believe it was a lousy pick. It is quite clear that Leonard is not an ideal backup for jackson. Even as a backup for jackson, given all our other needs, it would have been a suspect pick. However, using a #2 for a backup tailback and then turning him into a fullback to replace hedgehung, who was an above average young fullback making no money and improving makes no sense at all.

Put it another way. Would anyone here think the difference between leonard and hedgehung is a #2 pick when we are looking at fullbacks? Hedgehung also happened to be a decent special teams player.

The waiving of hedgehung is one of my biggest criticisms of linehan. For the life of me i cant figure out that move. Richard Owens did absolutely NOTHING for us last year and hedgehung was a reliable starter for the super bowl champs who of course signed him to a long term extension.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I've been skeptical of Leonard's blocking in the past, but I do hope he succeeds. He does seem to have the right attitude and the kind of character and leadership you look for. However, I will also agree that when you draft a fullback in the second round, he basically has to be the next Mike Alstott for fans to feel that they got sufficient value at that pick. and even 235 is on the small side for a fullback.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Count me as another in RoD's corner on this one.

Even if Leonard proves to be a great FB, how many great FBs were taken on Day 1 of the draft? Typically, they are later round picks. If you're going to spend a #2 on a RB, it should be someone who can be a full time ball carrier, if needed. I'm not sure Leonard is that guy, and if he bulks up and loses some of his speed, that might help him as a FB, but it won't make him a better RB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast