RamWraith is offline Registered User

Leonard to get 15 to 20 snaps a game

From Fox Sports......

by: NFL Czar Czar

All-Purpose Fullback

When you think of the game’s best fullbacks, guys like the Chargers’ Lorenzo Neal, Seattle’s Mack Strong and Tampa Bay’s Mike Alstott are mentioned the most. All three are excellent blockers and solid short-yardage performers. A big season for any of them is 150 to 200 yards rushing.

The Rams are hoping that second-round pick Brian Leonard of Rutgers can join this elite, but aging, group this season. Rams coach Scott Linehan is formulating a plan that will have Leonard getting 15 to 20 snaps a game. Once a college tailback, Leonard is also pretty sharp. He’s picking up the offense quickly and probably will be used as Steven Jackson’s backup on occasion, too. He also caught 207 passes for 13 touchdowns at Rutgers.

Linehan plans to use Leonard as a lead blocker for Jackson, as a potential third-down back and a short-yardage runner.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Leonard to get 15 to 20 snaps a game

i assume that the 15-20 plays per game doesnt count action on special teams.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Actually if he is on Special Teams? Those would count as plays on the field in my mind.
    15-20 plays on offense only is alot of plays?

The Shredder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    From Fox Sports......

by: NFL Czar Czar

All-Purpose Fullback

When you think of the game’s best fullbacks, guys like the Chargers’ Lorenzo Neal, Seattle’s Mack Strong and Tampa Bay’s Mike Alstott are mentioned the most. All three are excellent blockers and solid short-yardage performers. A big season for any of them is 150 to 200 yards rushing.

The Rams are hoping that second-round pick Brian Leonard of Rutgers can join this elite, but aging, group this season. Rams coach Scott Linehan is formulating a plan that will have Leonard getting 15 to 20 snaps a game. Once a college tailback, Leonard is also pretty sharp. He’s picking up the offense quickly and probably will be used as Steven Jackson’s backup on occasion, too. He also caught 207 passes for 13 touchdowns at Rutgers.

Linehan plans to use Leonard as a lead blocker for Jackson, as a potential third-down back and a short-yardage runner.
    You forgot to include Tony Richardson. Hah, anyways. Leonard will be a stud in this league. He's a genuine "football player" that loves the game and is highly competitive. I watched him quite a bit in college and he's a gamer. I think the many people that were disappointed in that pick in rd 2 are gonna be eating their crow this season. He's gonna be good, he can take some load of Jackson, and can be a dual threat with Jackson coming out of the backfield in passing situations.

If Linehan isn't a fool, there shouldn't be many teams in the crappy NFC let alone your division that can stop an offense that has weapons that the Rams have. If this is the year to explode on offense, they better do it because Bulger and Jackson are gonna want big coin next season. Better hope the patches Linehan made on that swiss cheese defense holds up so the Rams can win some games this season.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I would say they don't count. 15-20 plays on offense only is alot of plays? He going to play, but 15-20 plays is not touches.

BigDaddyPace Guest

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I friggin hope so!!!!!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I would say they don't count. 15-20 plays on offense only is alot of plays? He going to play, but 15-20 plays is not touches.
    That is a very good point. He could be used as a decoy, passblocker, run blocker, and never actually touch the ball ... yet those instances would count as snaps.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

there is no way the special teams plays count on it...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    15-20 plays on offense only is alot of plays?
    Not really. If my numbers from 2006 are correct and the Rams average a similar # of plays per game, then Leonard's going to be on the field 20-30% of the time for our offense. That's really not a whole lot, IMO.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!