Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leonard Leap

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Leonard Leap

Fabian Washington should hang his head in shame. The idea that an NFL-caliber defender would get played like that is just sad.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Fabian Washington should hang his head in shame. The idea that an NFL-caliber defender would get played like that is just sad.
    I may be wrong, but if the coaches don't specifically tell him to stop the leaps, there will most likely be much better players than Washington looking sad as they become poster boys to the "Leonard Leap".

prof22693 is offline Registered User

I knew he would do it this preseason, I called it in another thread. I know it leaves him open for hits, but he knows when he should and shouldn't do it so he doesn't get pummeled.

How was the reaction for it on Sportscenter? I ended up seeing it on NFL Replay.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by prof22693 View Post
    I know it leaves him open for hits, but he knows when he should and shouldn't do it so he doesn't get pummeled.
    This tends to be my way of thinking too. He's been doing it for a long time and I get the sense that he picks his spots carefully and has a good feel when he can pull it off without getting creamed. This isn't to say that he won't get into trouble doing it in the future, but he seems confident in his abilities.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    This tends to be my way of thinking too. He's been doing it for a long time and I get the sense that he picks his spots carefully and has a good feel when he can pull it off without getting creamed. This isn't to say that he won't get into trouble doing it in the future, but he seems confident in his abilities.
    Yeah, I agree. He won't pull it off in the middle of a pack of people, usually there is only one defender around after the Leap. I don't think though that we have to worry about him getting demolished by someone, though I am bad at jinxing things.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    That sounds just right. Leonard seems to have the right 'feel' to instinctively know when to leap, when not to. I'm sure he understands there's no need to force the feat -- pun not intended. The 5 to 7 yards he gains in flight sometimes may be reduced to 3 or 4 through a more conventional, ground, feet-on-turf attack.

I hope we'll see a good measure of these spectacular leaps, which is to say they won't be exaggerated in quantity, just natural in quality. And beautiful to see!

Flaw is offline Registered User

I had a couple of friends over for this game, and my apartment exploded when he did that. I'm surprised we didn't crash through the floor.

Chrome_CW is offline Registered User

Mack Strong has had a couple of those leaps a year for the Hawks over the last few years, and he's managed to stay healthy and in the league despite the fact that he will be 2 days short of his 36th birthday when the Seahawks open the season on September 9th.

Having said that, as a Seahawks fan, if you guys want Leonard to "retire" the "Leonard Leap" so that he doesn't open up his body to injuries then I won't have to worry about any Seahawks defenders being embarrassed like Washington was on that play. Man, you guys already have one guy who is next to impossible to tackle....now you've got a 225 lb hurdler ~

suhpr3me is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome_CW View Post
    Mack Strong has had a couple of those leaps a year for the Hawks over the last few years, and he's managed to stay healthy and in the league despite the fact that he will be 2 days short of his 36th birthday when the Seahawks open the season on September 9th.

Having said that, as a Seahawks fan, if you guys want Leonard to "retire" the "Leonard Leap" so that he doesn't open up his body to injuries then I won't have to worry about any Seahawks defenders being embarrassed like Washington was on that play. Man, you guys already have one guy who is next to impossible to tackle....now you've got a 225 lb hurdler ~
    That's right. I can see it now, SJ and BL in the backfield. SJ breaks 5 tackles, drags all hawk players for a big gain, pitches it back to BL. He leaps over 2 guys at the same time, does a 360 leap over tatupu and jumps off his head into the endzone.

macrosenberg is offline Registered User

i like leonard and think he will be a good fit in this offense.

Bud Light Guy is offline Registered User

That's cool the way he's able to do that, and it shows tremendous athletic ability, but one of these times someone's gonna come up and really give it to him and he's gonna injure himself because it really exposes your body to hits.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Light Guy View Post
    ...but one of these times someone's gonna come up and really give it to him and he's gonna injure himself because it really exposes your body to hits.
    To all of you making this argument, how is his leaping any different than a wide reciever goin airborn to make a catch? It's not. He's in no more danger of getting injured than they are. Should recievers also stop jumping and only catch balls they can stay on the ground to catch? I think not.
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -08-29-2007 at 07:17 PM.

RUReady4Leonard is offline Registered User

I knew you all would come around and warm up to BL once you had a chance to see him play. As I have said before, you won't regret having drafted him in the 2nd round.

As for the leap, he knows when to use it and when not too. He has only used it about 20 times total from high school till now, so I wouldn't worry about him over using this ability.

Go Rams!!!!!

supachump is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    To all of you making this argument, how is his leaping any different than a wide reciever goin airborn to make a catch? It's not. He's in no more danger of getting injured than they are. Should recievers also stop jumping and only catch balls they can stay on the ground to catch? I think not.
    Although I somewhat agree, there is potentially a difference when a running back has had possession for a while and jumps in the air trying to leap over someone, while a potential second tackler could be running fullspeed and really spin the crap out of him.

While a receiver is probably jumping pretty high, they aren't generally lifting their legs trying to jump OVER someone (leg position could be a difference maker too (outstretched vs compact)). And possibly the hit would be less because hopefully the defender is waiting for the catch to be made.

subtle, but different imo.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RUReady4Leonard View Post
    I knew you all would come around and warm up to BL once you had a chance to see him play. As I have said before, you won't regret having drafted him in the 2nd round.

As for the leap, he knows when to use it and when not too. He has only used it about 20 times total from high school till now, so I wouldn't worry about him over using this ability.

Go Rams!!!!!

Most of us are definitely with you on this, RU (I certainly agree -- see post #21). Leonard is smart enough not to abuse the leap but I'm sure he'll know when to use it for the benefit of the drive rather than for any flashy merits and credits in his name.

In Leonard we have a very fine, all purpose RB for sure! :r

PS: see if you can post more often; rest assured we'll have plenty of positive things to say about BL.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast