Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leonard Traded

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Leonard Traded

Let's hope this guy straightens out in St. Louis, but I think as of right now we got the short end of this bargain...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Who's to say Leonard would have even made the team?

To get a 25 year old DT for him, instead of nothing, sounds fine to me.

viper is offline Registered User

I'm still scratching my head from when we drafted Leonard when players like Stewart Bradley and several other highly touted defensive players were still on the board. I tried to give Leonard the benefit of the doubt when we were inundated by his fans. Stewart Bradley would probably still be here filling a big hole at strong side linebacker!

Oh well, I always like it when we start bringing in the beef!

Go Rams!!!

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

If it wasn't Billy D or Spags I might scratch my head but this doesn't even dent the faith I have in those two.

I am confused about one thing. Did Leonard go on a crime spree this off season? I'm trying to figure out why the Bengals would want a player with character.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

In our zeal to purge ourselves of all things Linehan, I think we may have jumped the gun on this deal. Look, I know that Leonard has been disappointing to say the least, but I, for one, was looking forward to seeing what he could do with two healthy shoulders and in an offense that, on the surface anyway, appeared to suit his talents very well.

I can't believe that by dealing Leonard we would save enough money to justify taking a guy like Harris, even though he weighs 300 lbs. He's bounced around more than Paris Hilton on a Saturday night.

WHAT SAY YE?

Rams trade RB Brian Leonard to Bengals
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    A crowded competition for the No. 2 running back spot behind Steven Jackson got less congested Thursday, with the Rams trading running back Brian Leonard to Cincinnati for defensive tackle Orien Harris.
    As of early Thursday afternoon, the Rams had yet to formally announce the deal but Leonard’s agent, Mike McCartney confirmed that the deal had been finalized.
    “This is a great trade for Brian,” McCartney said. “I give the Rams credit for putting him in a great situation, with a great quarterback in Carson Palmer, where he can be a running back. “They’re going to put him in the nickel right away.”
    After releasing Chris Perry recently, the Bengals don’t have a clear No. 2 running back behind starter Cedric Benson. The Bengals’ offseason roster currently includes Lindenwood University product DeDe Dorsey, Kenny Watson and sixth-round draft pick Bernard Scott at running back.
    The Rams could never find a role for Leonard during his two seasons in St. Louis _ was he a running back or fullbacK? And that seemed to be the issue with new head coach Steve Spagnuolo as well. Leonard was bothered by shoulder injuries in both of his seasons in St. Louis, playing in only two games last season before going on injured reserve.
    The second-round draft pick carried only two times for seven yards last season, but saw extensive action in place of the injured Jackson in 2007. That year, Leonard finished as the Rams’ second-leading rusher with 303 yards on 86 carries (a 3.5 average), and 30 catches for 183 yards. His best game came against Arizona on Oct. 7 of the ‘07 season when he rushed for 102 on 18 carries.
    Harris was claimed off waivers from New Orleans by the Bengals before the start of the 2008 regular season. He played in 14 games with one start, finishing with 24 tackles. The addition of Tank Johnson in the offseason made him expendable. In St. Louis he has a chance to be the team’s fourth defensive tackle, with he and fourth-round draft pick Darell Scott backing up starters Adam Carriker and Clfiton Ryan.

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams 24/7 View Post
    0h Yea, Where Headed into the right Direction.....It's funny, Every Move we Make, Makes LoserHan Looks worse and worse
    How is this heading in the right direction or making Linehan look bad? This trade is going to have 0 impact on us. This was a practice squad guy from the Steelers.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    How is this heading in the right direction or making Linehan look bad? This trade is going to have 0 impact on us. This was a practice squad guy from the Steelers.

I'll take a practice squad player from the Steeler's D line over a practice squad player on the Rams D line anyday. he may not have started much, but he's played in a number of games so he's got to have some skill.

what concerns me is, teams obviously see potential in this guy... but he's never landed in a place that's wanted to keep him for any length of time. i sure hope spags can set him straight and squeeze the juice out of this potential lemon.

Milan is offline Registered User

Yeah, I'd also take a Steelers practice squad player over a Rams practice squad player, problem is, we didn't trade a practice squad player for a practice squad player. We traded a 2nd round draft pick and our #2 draft pick for a practice squad player.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

spags likes a deep rotation and this guy is a good fit for the 4th DT. We probably like what we have seen so far in Chris Ogbonaya. Also Darby is a good 3rd down back and could be in the competition with Ogbonaya and Pittman to be the number 2 guy.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I bet the deal saves us some money

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I think that's probably the focus of the deal. Save some money and find a camp body. Now maybe they can spend some of those savings on a better backup choice at RB.

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    yet another 2nd round pick wasted
    Now when are we going to get rid of that other wasted 2nd round pic "Flopienstien"

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Smile Re: Leonard Traded

Not the sexiest of trades, but know doubt an important one.
    Forget about him being a 4th and JL a 2nd, that was in the past.
    Now lets look to the future. Any RAM fan with half a brain knows about are awful run D, we just dont have the cap space as of today to get a superstar DT, but the fact is we dont HAVE to have one anyway. Look at the GIANTS, rotating big, explosive D Linemen the whole game, i.e SPAGS WAY.
    Lets look at this another way- here`s hoping are 7th round RB chris o made BL EXPENDABLE

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    yet another 2nd round pick wasted
    Well .. maybe not .. We might get lucky with Orien Harris. If he earns a roster spot and contributes it won't be a totally wasted pick. One thing is sure - we needed another DT more than we needed a 226 pound fullback. Harris can take Claude Rotten's spot.

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Well .. maybe not .. We might get lucky with Orien Harris. If he earns a roster spot and contributes it won't be a totally wasted pick. One thing is sure - we needed another DT more than we needed a 226 pound fullback. Harris can take Claude Rotten's spot.
    Very true, I like this. I have a feeling our D is going to be the BOMB this
    year.. Maybe Top 10.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast