Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Leonard Traded

psycho9985 Guest

Re: Leonard Traded

I like Brian Leonard and I think he'll do well with the Bengals.We should have given them Antonio Pittman for what we got in exchange.We need some DT help,but I dont like this trade.G.C. is probably right we are going to save some money but for what.

MASSIVE Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Well .. maybe not .. We might get lucky with Orien Harris. If he earns a roster spot and contributes it won't be a totally wasted pick. One thing is sure - we needed another DT more than we needed a 226 pound fullback. Harris can take Claude Rotten's spot.
    I agree 100%

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Well, I believe the Steelers, Bengals, Browns, and Bills all play the 3-4, so maybe he doesn't fit that D. Not sure what Saits do on D these days(obviously not much),
    Barry Waller

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Good Luck, Brian. Welcome to the fold, Orien.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I would have liked to see a healthy Brian Leonard get another shot, especially in a west coast type offense. Hope this works out.

viper is offline Registered User

I have to agree that I think Brian Leonard could have done well in the new offense. I wish him all the best in the world. He is a class act. He kind of grows on you because of his work ethic, his character and his heart. He definitely leaves it all out on the field. Good luck, Brian!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    Rams trade RB Brian Leonard to Bengals
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    A crowded competition for the No. 2 running back spot behind Steven Jackson got less congested Thursday, with the Rams trading running back Brian Leonard to Cincinnati for defensive tackle Orien Harris.
    As of early Thursday afternoon, the Rams had yet to formally announce the deal but Leonard’s agent, Mike McCartney confirmed that the deal had been finalized.
    “This is a great trade for Brian,” McCartney said. “I give the Rams credit for putting him in a great situation, with a great quarterback in Carson Palmer, where he can be a running back. “They’re going to put him in the nickel right away.”
    After releasing Chris Perry recently, the Bengals don’t have a clear No. 2 running back behind starter Cedric Benson. The Bengals’ offseason roster currently includes Lindenwood University product DeDe Dorsey, Kenny Watson and sixth-round draft pick Bernard Scott at running back.
    The Rams could never find a role for Leonard during his two seasons in St. Louis _ was he a running back or fullbacK? And that seemed to be the issue with new head coach Steve Spagnuolo as well. Leonard was bothered by shoulder injuries in both of his seasons in St. Louis, playing in only two games last season before going on injured reserve.
    The second-round draft pick carried only two times for seven yards last season, but saw extensive action in place of the injured Jackson in 2007. That year, Leonard finished as the Rams’ second-leading rusher with 303 yards on 86 carries (a 3.5 average), and 30 catches for 183 yards. His best game came against Arizona on Oct. 7 of the ‘07 season when he rushed for 102 on 18 carries.
    The Bengals don't have a clear number 2 runningback?! Well neither do we!!!!

I don't like this trade at all. We give up a kid that will do whatever is asked of him and then some for an NFL gypsy?! I was really looking forward to Leonard playing under a real NFL coach.

HATE IT!

Rambos is offline Registered User

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bengals have acquired ex-Saints DT Orien Harris and ex-Lions G Frank Davis off waivers.
    Ok I get the fact that BL was not a good fit, but how about a 5th or 6th round draft pick! A number two pick for a guy off waivers. Hmmmmm, maybe you get Harris or someone like him off waivers at a later date. Maybe a teams RB goes down and BL value goes up. Not sure I get this one...

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post

I don't like this trade at all. We give up a kid that will do whatever is asked of him and then some for an NFL gypsy?! I was really looking forward to Leonard playing under a real NFL coach.

HATE IT!
    Sound like he did not fit what Spags want in a RB, but I don't know about Harris he looks like a body.
    :ramlogo:

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Don't get me wrong I like BL but some of you are definitly weighing his importance on potential and not performance.

He played 18 games, averaged 17 yards a game and never found the end zone.

I hope he excels for the Bengals but we needed deepth to stop the run... not to run.

IMHO

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post

HATE IT!
    I understand you are upset. Many probably are, considering this was a 2nd round pick ...

But remember, that was a 2nd round pick of a different regime. You cannot fault Spags and Devaney for pulling this deal. Leonard has some nice tools, but he has been oft injured and produced little ...

I've seen Darby play all through college, and saw glimpses of him last year. I think he is going to be a great #2. He does all the things you want a #2 back to do, everything Leonard can do, except he's a little faster and quicker ...

Hard to tell what will happen to Pittman, but looks like the kid out of Texas has a shot to be the third down back ...

I don't buy Leonard as a big loss. He was clearly an afterthought ...

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

i thought leonard had good hands. Idk where travis minor went. but Leonard i always thought was a keeper. but i will have faith in spags. We are not always going to agree with all coaching decisions. but Im hoping that this guy can get a solid run clogger for us or atleast a 1 down DT. But who knows under spagnolo's teachings maybe he cant make a decent player.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -05-07-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I care in that BL was a Ram and a 2nd round pick. But in reality, if he wasn't in favor as Spag's type of RB, what could he have contributed, 3-4 touches a game, if that with Darby and the Texan. SJ doesn't share or rotate.

Orien, if he's what Spags and Davaney think he is, will rotate in for what 1/3 of the snaps maybe, and help keep the primaries fresh.

Trims cost, adds value.

Hope he makes the team and shows us all how brilliant Dev and Spag's are.
    Semper Fi!

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Damn i thought this one was Leonard Little, forgot about the RB

SFCRamFan Guest

Who knows? One man's trash is another man's treasure; works both ways. I stated on another BL thread that I thought he would be gone, but I did not see it this soon. Good luck to BL and welcome to the D OH...I trust our new regime and am hopeful that all these changes will produce results...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast