BM_Face is offline Registered User

The Lessons of '98 aka crapshoot

Peter King article in SI (I know)in thier draft preview. A solid piece on the hazards of the draft. Here are some highlights of the '98 draft

Ryan leaf taken second overall, retired in '02, Hasselbeck was taken #187 and has 3 Pro Bowls.
    Andre Wadsworth taken at #3, retired in '07, Little was taken #65 and is a six-year starter.
    Curtis Enis taken fifth, retired in 2000, Ahman Green was taken #76 and has 4 Pro Bowls. (GoHuskers!)
    Kevin Dyson was taken #16 (over Moss), retired in 2005, Hines Ward was taken #92 and is a Superbowl MVP.

London Fletcher and Jeff Saturday were undrafted. Coaches Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson ran the drafts of the Jets and the Dolphins, respectively, and made 22 picks between them. Only three of those players became starters for more than one season. "That is a sad commentary on scouting," Mike Lombardi says (was director of pro scouting for the Eagles that year).

Says former Packers general manager Ron Wolf, "If I batted .333 in the draft, I was pretty happy. No one bats .500. The fascinating thing about pro foorball is, no matter how long you're in it, you can't predict how guys are going to handle the pressure, the limelight, the money. Rick Mirer played in front of 80,000 every week in college [Notre Dame], and apparently he couldn't handle it. Tony Romo played in front of 8,000 [Eastern Illinois], and he can. Figure that out."

San Diego had the third choice in the draft, but Beathard, desperate for a quarterback, dealt that pick plus his second-rounder (#33) and what turned out to be the #8 pick in the 1999 draft to the Cardinals to take Leaf, "The ironic thing," says Billy Devaney, was if we didn't move up to take Leaf, we would have picked [DE] Andre Wadsworth. So it would have been a disaster no matter what." A knee injury ended Wadsworth's career after 36 games.

This year's "low-upside" player at the top of the draft is Chris Long. Word on the street is Long will have trouble getting around quicker tackles. "My belief is I'll still be getting better in my 10th season," says Long, "but I keep hearing words like ceiling and maxed out. Where do they come from?"

I put the bold and italics in. I thought it was interesting that Wolf says no one bats .500. Chris Long has something to prove. Good. .333 in the long run means we will get 2-3 good Rams out of this draft, correct? Wow.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: The Lessons of '98 aka crapshoot

Coaches Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson ran the drafts of the Jets and the Dolphins, respectively, and made 22 picks between them. Only three of those players became starters for more than one season.

This don't tell the Fins this...

Rick Mirer played in front of 80,000 every week in college [Notre Dame], and apparently he couldn't handle it. Tony Romo played in front of 8,000 [Eastern Illinois], and he can. Figure that out."
    I think the team you go to has a lot do do with a young QB doing well. I can't see Ryan having a shot in Atlanta. QB's going later in the draft will sit a year or so and when they get a shot to play, they have a decent team and have a chance to do well. Ryan IMO will not do well early.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-29-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Yeah, I saw that article. Other interesting notes:

When he was getting ready to leave the Colts' stadium on a pre-draft visit, Peyton Manning went into Polian's office and told them, "I would really like to play for you, but if you don't draft me, I'll kick your ass for the next 15 years."

Billy Devaney served at the exact same position for the Chargers when they took Leaf as he does now for the Rams. Hope he learned the lessons of history.

Chiledog is offline Registered User

It's easy to second guess the guys getting paid to do the scouting and drafting, but this article is one more proof that there is just no exact science to it. I sure hope we end up with another Hasselbeck, Little, Green or Hines Ward in this year's draft class.
    "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers

Chiledog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post

When he was getting ready to leave the Colts' stadium on a pre-draft visit, Peyton Manning went into Polian's office and told them, "I would really like to play for you, but if you don't draft me, I'll kick your ass for the next 15 years."
    What a great quote...

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', until you can find a rock." Will Rogers