Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Let me introduce to you our new HC

Ron Rivera

Position: Defensive Coordinator

Former Bears linebacker Ron Rivera is in his second season as Chicago's defensive coordinator, guiding a unit that led the NFC with a team-record six defensive touchdowns in his first campaign. Rivera was named to his current position on January 23, 2004, after spending five seasons as linebackers coach for the Philadelphia Eagles (1999-2003). Rivera, who played nine seasons for the Bears (1984-92), was a member of Chicago's Super Bowl championship team in 1985 and began his coaching career as a defensive quality control assistant with the team in 1997.
    In his first season as an NFL defensive coordinator, Rivera oversaw the highest scoring defense in team history and presided over an increase of nine takeaways from the previous year. The Bears thrived in third-down situations as well as inside its own 20-yard line during Rivera's first season at the helm. Chicago's defense led the NFL in third-down efficiency (30.5%) and led the NFC (fourth NFL) in red zone defense (42.6%). Most importantly, Rivera's young defense demonstrated in-game improvement from the first half to the second half throughout the 2004 campaign, holding six opponents to three points or less in the second half while limiting five opponents to less than 100 yards of total offense after half-time.

While in Philadelphia, the Eagles advanced to the NFC Championship game each of his final three seasons and during that stretch ranked near the top of the League in fewest points allowed (15.3 ppg), third down efficiency (32.4%), sacks (189), opponent quarterback rating (73.2) and takeaways (128). In 2001, the Eagles defense allowed fewer than 21 points in each of their 16 games for just the fourth time in League history and, during Rivera's first year on the job (1999), Philadelphia led the NFL with 46 takeaways including a team record five interceptions returned for touchdowns. Rivera helped develop LB Jeremiah Trotter into a two-time Pro Bowl performer with the Eagles. During Rivera's five years overseeing the Eagles linebackers, he worked with the top tacklers on the team as each of the three starters consistently ranked in the top five on the team in tackles and as a group averaged 387 tackles per season (129 tackles per starting linebacker).

Rivera, a second-round draft choice by the Bears in 1984, played in 149 games with 62 starts (including 12 postseason contests with six starts), posting 392 tackles (190 solo), nine interceptions, five forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries, 15 passes defended and seven quarterback sacks during his nine-year career.

Following his NFL playing career and prior to joining the coaching ranks in 1997, Rivera spent four years (1993-96) as an analyst covering the Bears and college football for SportsChannel, Chicago on television and on WSCR and WGN radio. He joined the Bears as the team's first defensive quality control coach (1997-98).

A consensus All-America selection as a linebacker at California, Rivera finished his collegiate career as the school's all-time sacks leader with 22 and first in career tackles with 336. Rivera still holds the Cal record for most tackles-for-a-loss in a season with 26.5 in 1983.

Rivera was born in Fort Ord, CA. With his father being an officer in the Army, Rivera lived in Germany, Panama, Washington and Maryland prior to moving to central California, where he attended Seaside High School. He and his wife, Stephanie, have one son, Christopher (19), and one daughter Courtney (12). Stephanie, a former basketball player at California, has served as an assistant women's basketball coach at Trinity International University (Deerfield, IL), the ABL's Chicago Condors (1997-98) and the WNBA's Washington Mystics (2000).

Ron Rivera - Defensive Coordinator
    Born: 1962, Fort Ord, Calif.

Playing Experience
    Linebacker, California, 1980-83, Pro Linebacker, Chicago Bears, 1984-1992

Coaching Experience
    Pro Coach: Chicago Bears (defensive coordinator) 2004-present; Philadelphia Eagles (linebackers) 1999-2003; Chicago Bears (defensive quality control) 1997-98.

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Re: Let me introduce to you our new HC

Exciting possibility and would be proper given how the Bears grabbed Lovie, we deserve something back! But would he leave his beloved Bears for the Rams? And how do we find out since the Rams can't talk to him until the Bears are eliminated from the playoffs? Can the Rams afford to wait??

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

He might be our DC but, not our HC! i'm thinking the Rams will retain Vitt and will have my blessings! i like the way this gut thinks as a coach! He needs to get tough with the players and be able to draft who he thinks can play!

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz was told Monday morning Jan. 2, that the team has fired him. The team has also asked permission to interview Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera for the head job. In addition to Rivera.

They can talk, they can't give him the job, yet.

He might be our DC but, not our HC!
    This guy can get a D to play at a high level, he is the man for the job.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Here's the deal. The Rams hire Jeff Fisher and the Raiders fire Norv Turner , who in turn is asked by Fisher to be the OC . He runs Basically the same offense. BOOM. We get a defensive head coach and a pass happy OC.

Here's the deal. The Rams hire Jeff Fisher and the Raiders fire Norv Turner , who in turn is asked by Fisher to be the OC . He runs Basically the same offense. BOOM. We get a defensive head coach and a pass happy OC
    I would take that can you make it happen.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    The Rams hire Jeff Fisher
    Turner as OC is intriguing, but I don't think the Titans are ready to give up on Fisher.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bruce_wannabe Guest

anybody but art shell... lol.... rivera is a great coach.... my uncle is best friends with the guy and he said rivera is happy where he is now in chicago but u never know things change

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_wannabe
    anybody but art shell... lol.... rivera is a great coach.... my uncle is best friends with the guy and he said rivera is happy where he is now in chicago but u never know things change
    Well stated , I like Rivera he his good coach , that would be nice along with fisher ...Never know ?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Whomever the new HC is, I hope he puts John Shaw at the center position of the Rams OL for a few games.

Shaw today
    (On if there is truth to the report that he is looking at Bears’ Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera)

“Where did you get that report? Yes, there is truth to that report.”

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Turner would be a great OFF COORD. I have actually met him. Look at his offenses when he a coordinator. As Troy Aikman or Jay Novachek about his OFFenses.

How do separate where Lovie's Smith Success ends and Rivera's Begins? In other words, is that Lovie's DEF? Not Riveras? That's a HUGE question.

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -01-03-2006 at 01:35 AM.

Lovie was not with him when he was with the Eagles.

While in Philadelphia, the Eagles advanced to the NFC Championship game each of his final three seasons and during that stretch ranked near the top of the League in fewest points allowed (15.3 ppg), third down efficiency (32.4%), sacks (189), opponent quarterback rating (73.2) and takeaways (128). In 2001, the Eagles defense allowed fewer than 21 points in each of their 16 games for just the fourth time in League history and, during Rivera's first year on the job (1999), Philadelphia led the NFL with 46 takeaways including a team record five interceptions returned for touchdowns. Rivera helped develop LB Jeremiah Trotter into a two-time Pro Bowl performer with the Eagles. During Rivera's five years overseeing the Eagles linebackers, he worked with the top tacklers on the team as each of the three starters consistently ranked in the top five on the team in tackles and as a group averaged 387 tackles per season (129 tackles per starting linebacker).

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

NO !!!

Why hire him as head coach?

Look at the personnel the Bears have, which is actually under the direction of Lovie Smith.

Look at the personnel that philly had which was actually under the direction of Jim Johnson.

Rivera has benefited from being under great defensive minds with exceptional talent on the playing roster. He has proven nothing in my mind.

Anghellic is offline Registered User

Rivera would be fine, I also like, from the Titans, not Fisher but their defensive coordinator, I think his name is Jim Schwartz. He is a young guy and was the runner up for the SF job last year. Tennessee's defense has been good for a while and he made real players out of nobodies, like Keith Bulluck, Tank Williams, and Rocky Calmus. From the college ranks, though Rams brass said earlier they aren't looking there, I like Louisville's Bobby Petrino. The Cards have had one of the top offenses in the nation under his tenure. I'd love a guy who keeps offense the strength of the Rams, even though I'd agree that a great defense beats a great offense. I rank them like this:

1. Schwartz
    2. Rivera
    3. Petrino

If we hire Norv Turner I'm going to go ballistic. With their offensive line and the skill players they have (Moss, Porter, Jordan, etc), there is NO excuse for the Raiders having a pedestrian offense. I have always felt that Norv Turner is really just riding Jimmy Johnson's coattails, same with Dave Wannstedt. The Cowboys were great because of JJ, not those 2. They've failed everywhere they've gone. Don't bring either of them here, please God no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast