RamWraith is offline Registered User

Let the specualtion begin!!

This clears up why no 10 second runoff on the Illegal Formation (It's not on the list of penalties eligible for the 10 second runoff.

HOWEVER.

If Little is correct there's a whole other controversy to brew.

ST. LOUIS -- It took the booming voice of muscle-bound referee Ed Hochuli to end the premature celebration that had broken out on the St. Louis sideline here Sunday afternoon in the final seconds of the Rams' bitter 30-28 loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

On a third-and-nine play from the St. Louis 31-yard line, with Seattle out of timeouts, quarterback Matt Hasselbeck spiked the ball to kill the clock and provide kicker Josh Brown a shot at the game-winning field goal with only four seconds remaining. But on the play, the Seahawks were flagged for illegal formation, a penalty Rams players believed resulted in a 10-second runoff on the game clock.

Had the Rams been correct, the game would have been over, albeit on a rather esoteric call. Unfortunately, for St. Louis, the illegal formation penalty is not one of the fouls that mandates a 10-second runoff. After the five-yard penalty, Brown drilled a 54-yard, game-winning field goal with plenty of room to spare.

"There are limited penalties that (require) a 10-second runoff, and this is not one of those on the list," Hochuli explained in a pool report. "The team (Seattle) was all set. They were set for a full second. They were just in an illegal formation."

The nature of the illegal formation: The receiver flanked widest to the right was actually aligned in the backfield, and not up at the line of scrimmage. That meant just six players, one shy of the minimum, on the line of scrimmage. So there was a penalty, but no clock runoff.

Hochuli's explanation was the final word, but it might not be the end of the controversy.

St. Louis defensive end Leonard Little said after the game that, when the flag was tossed, he heard Hochuli tell one of the other game officials that there were two penalties on the play, the illegal formation and also a false start on a Seattle offensive lineman. A false start penalty is one of the fouls that requires a 10-second runoff on the game clock.

-- Len Pasquarelli

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Re: Let the specualtion begin!!

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    St. Louis defensive end Leonard Little said after the game that, when the flag was tossed, he heard Hochuli tell one of the other game officials that there were two penalties on the play, the illegal formation and also a false start on a Seattle offensive lineman. A false start penalty is one of the fouls that requires a 10-second runoff on the game clock.

-- Len Pasquarelli
    IN OUR HOUSE! AT THIS POINT I JUST WANT TO GET OVER IT BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING THAT IS GOING TO OVERTURN THE OUTCOME, JUST LIKE THE SUPERBOWL VS. THE PATS.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

jkramsfan Guest

i believe Little heard that, but its not going to change anything,if we could have made just 1 stop it would have never gotten to that point.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    i believe Little heard that, but its not going to change anything,if we could have made just 1 stop it would have never gotten to that point.
    Exactly. Even if the refs conferred about whether there was another penalty--heck, even if we had a signed confession that one of the refs had implemented a rule incorrectly, the refs were not responsible for allowing them into field goal range. This was a fair result, and I felt like the officiating was pretty fair throughout the game.

SFCRamFan Guest

Our defense can make no excuses...they played too soft on the final drive. It should never have come to needing a 10 second runoff. Let's drop the conspiracy theories...Game over, move on to San Diego after the bye.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

As I've said somewhere else, never let yourself get in the position where an officiating error can cost you the game.

Nothing's going to change the result. (Sigh)

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan View Post
    Our defense can make no excuses...they played too soft on the final drive...Game over, move on to San Diego after the bye.
    Agreed. We want more miracle wins, but lets face it there has to be outright wins and this should have been one. Our defense was too soft and giving them a win would be an outright insult. Hopefully a week off will help us realize that and if we get a lead we will protect it!

San Diego will be a good barometer to measure how much we want the playoffs.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Varg6 is offline Registered User

That is unacceptable. How dare you say that about your own team. I'm ashamed that you're a Rams fan too, because no Rams fan I know acts like that. I hope you rethink what you said and apologize, that is absurd.
    Last edited by Nick; -10-16-2006 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Edited out the quote of bruce4life's post

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Bruce,

I really do not think there is call for your remarks.

You could have made your point just as well had you not included the first sentence. Or at least used different verbage.

Were were all quite disappointed with the outcome and agree it should never have come down such a situation but there is no need to be rude in an open forum.

Let us circle the proverbial wagons and prepare for the next game.

RnD

GO RAMS!!

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Let the specualtion begin!!

What is this garbage. Shame on you. I'm disappointed you posted this. Maybe it's time for you to move on from here.
    Last edited by Nick; -10-17-2006 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Edited out the quote of bruce4life's post
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Damn right rb, no place for that on our forums. Or anywhere else for that matter........................