View Poll Results: Why isn't the defense any good?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's Linehan's fault!!!

2 7.14%
  • It's Steven Jackson's fault!!!

3 10.71%
  • Haslett just hasn't been a good DC since he left Pittsburgh

4 14.29%
  • The players just aren't that good

12 42.86%
  • The color blue clashes with Haslett's fieryness, dimishing his ability to reach full Fiery Potential

7 25.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: Let's Begin Now...

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    So, you're saying the Patriots buckled down and shut them out when it counted, right? And their second string pretty much held them to 100 yds the rest of the game. They held the Ravens to less yards in the game than we did in some quarters. I still don't see how that made them look terrible?

As for the Cowboys? I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that they had a god-awful defense for the past five years? I wasn't aware that mediocre running backs have looked like hall of famers against their defense for god knows how long. I wasn't aware that the Cowboys have been unable to put any pressure on opposing QBs for the past decade. Oh that's must be the difference- it was one preseason game that they looked bad in. It's been the better part of a decade that we have been laughing stocks on defense and continued that lovely trend last night.
    Didnt our starting defense step up when it mattered? I could have sworn they held the Titans starting offense to 3 points. Go watch it again if you don't agree with that. After that is a bunch of second and third string guys manning the d. By the way we started the game with a second string lb,second stringcorner and a 2nd string safety. Our starting d gave up a WHOPPING 3 POINTS YOUR RIGHT THE SEASON IS OVER!

Just Fix It

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Didnt our starting defense step up when it mattered? I could have sworn they held the Titans starting offense to 3 points. Go watch it again if you don't agree with that. After that is a bunch of second and third string guys manning the d. By the way we started the game with a second string lb,second stringcorner and a 2nd string safety. Our starting d gave up a WHOPPING 3 POINTS YOUR RIGHT THE SEASON IS OVER!
    I'm sorry, you're trying to compare the defensive effort of a team that gave up 200 net yards, forced 3 turnovers, and controlled TOP to one that gave up almost 500 net yards, with no turnovers, and were pretty much run on at will, right? You do realize that in the brief time that our starters were in there, they had given up almost 100 yds rushing, right?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

So, you're saying the Patriots buckled down and shut them out when it counted, right?
    But here's the catch: It didn't count. That little prefix should mean everything the next four weeks. PREseason. It doesn't count. At least wait until we lose a regular season game before you get upset?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    But here's the catch: It didn't count. That little prefix should mean everything the next four weeks. PREseason. It doesn't count.
    But teams still try, even though it doesn't count, right?

And if they do indeed try, then I would think the effort is lacking due to numerous reasons. None of which would I think to be good reasons.

I'm sorry, you're trying to compare the defensive effort of a team that gave up 200 net yards, forced 3 turnovers, and controlled TOP to one that gave up almost 500 net yards, with no turnovers, and were pretty much run on at will, right? You do realize that in the brief time that our starters were in there, they had given up almost 100 yds rushing, right?
    We had 8 starters in there not 11, 3 of our guys were backups. I'm sure in your eyes not having spoon and Atogwe makes no difference though. So is it the points or the yds that matter? If a team gives up 100 yds rushing and only 3 points in a qtr is that terrible? Or do they have a chance to right the ship through the other 3 qtrs and possibly win the game? Or do you think that our 8 starters and 3 second stringers had they played four qtrs would have given up 400 yds rushing? If I'm looking at a 3-3 tie on the road I would say we still have a chance woudlnt you? I'm not saying all of this was good but it is pre-season. If they do it in week one of the regular season where wins and losses matter than I will complain. Hard for me to complain when most of the vets dont even want to be on the field in pre-season. I watched the Redskins play the Bills and Portis had a goal line carry on I think 3rd and goal from like the two. When he took the handoff and got stuffed I thought to myself he didnt even try to fight for that. Even Joe Thiesman mentioned that if it was the regular season Portis would have stuffed that in the endzone. Because of fear of getting hurt he was taking it easy. Don't believe me watch the game youll see it too. He then got another carry and had an easier route to the endzone. I mean what does Portis have to prove in the pre-season. L.T. doesnt even suit up for pre-season. I just think some of you are taking way to much out of a pre-season game. Surprised you guys dont whine if the d gives up a big play in practice because thats what pre-season football is "PRACTICE". Let me know if the Titans get a trophy at the end of pre-season or if their running game is ranked #1 after pre-season is over. No trophy and no stat records for the pre-season, it must be very important. I'll tell you what is important, STAYING HELATHY.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    But teams still try, even though it doesn't count, right?

And if they do indeed try, then I would think the effort is lacking due to numerous reasons. None of which would I think to be good reasons.

Not really the Falcons went for it on a 4thand 10 from the twenty and could have tied the score and go to overtime. If they were trying they would have kicked the fg and sent it to ot. They just threw it into the endzone and called a day getting out of their healthy.
    Just Fix It

moloch41 Guest

We had 8 starters in there not 11, 3 of our guys were backups. I'm sure in your eyes not having spoon and Atogwe makes no difference though. So is it the points or the yds that matter? If a team gives up 100 yds rushing and only 3 points in a qtr is that terrible? Or do they have a chance to right the ship through the other 3 qtrs and possibly win the game? Or do you think that our 8 starters and 3 second stringers had they played four qtrs would have given up 400 yds rushing?
    Considering the second halves that the Rams defenses have played under Haslett- I'm going to go with the 400 yds. And you can only give up so many yards until you start giving up scores. You can't keep letting them get inside your 20 and possibly hope to keep them out every time.

If they do it in week one of the regular season where wins and losses matter than I will complain.
    Me thinks that as your listening to Linny give his postgame press conference after Week One is over- once again talking about how he knows things are wrong on defense and how they're going to work on them- you'll be jumping on the Moloch bandwagon. I watched the first team Eagles offense the other night and they looked pretty good. McNabb has something to prove and Westbrook is always a player. And from watching Deshaun Jackson run routes- I don't think we have anyone in the slot that can cover him. We certainly don't have anyone that can cover Westbrook. Fortunately, you can go on with your life after it's over- I still have to go into work the next day and deal with countless Eagle fans who are already talking crap.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Not really the Falcons went for it on a 4thand 10 from the twenty and could have tied the score and go to overtime. If they were trying they would have kicked the fg and sent it to ot. They just threw it into the endzone and called a day getting out of their healthy.
    That is a coaching decision. It has nothing to do with players putting forth effort or giving it their all on the field. My apologies for not being clear with my question. I used the term "teams" meaning players on the field.

I seriously doubt you are going to tell me that the coaches instruct the players to not try. So, once again, given that they do indeed try, there are numerous problems with the effort.

Looking at the quotes from Linehan, in Howard Balzer's article, the head coach seems to be highly concerned and at a loss as to how to correct the ongoing problems.

theodus69 Guest

It's not over.................But at this point, It ain't looking good, I think that is safe to say. And if you feel like it's alright , Have you been here the last couple of years?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

the last two seasons coupled with what looked more of the same last night might have had something to do with it too...
    one that gave up almost 500 net yards, with no turnovers, and were pretty much run on at will?
    I think the fact that it looked like a complete continuation of last season is a great source of concern.
    Yet, last season we allowed how many one-hundred yard rushers?

One?

Was it one?

It was one, wasn't it?

The defense actually did comparably better against the run last year than in any season since 2001. So to suggest that anything you saw from fifteen minutes is an amalgamation- a cumulative rollover- of what we saw last season is unfounded.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Yet, last season we allowed how many one-hundred yard rushers?

One?

Was it one?

It was one, wasn't it?

The defense actually did comparably better against the run last year than in any season since 2001. So to suggest that anything you saw from fifteen minutes is an amalgamation- a cumulative rollover- of what we saw last season is unfounded.
    I don't know, looks like a trend starting to me. We were 10 yds away from giving up 4 consecutive 100 yd rushing games- fortunatley, we only gave up two.

Starting from Week 13

Vs Falcons- 435 total net yds (94 yds rushing from Norwood + 324 yds passing from Harrington and Redman)

Vs Bengals- 370 total net yds (92 yds rushing from Johnson + 189 yds passing from Palmer)

Vs Steelers- 425 total net yds (123 yds rushing from Davenport + 261 yds, 3TDs from Big Ben)

Vs Cardinals- 422 total net yds (102 yds rushing from James + 300 yds, 3TDs passing from Warner)

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch
    You do realize that in the brief time that our starters were in there, they had given up almost 100 yds rushing, right?
    I believe most of the starters were pulled at the end of the 1st quarter; at which point, the Titans only had 82 yards total (17 passing, 71 rushing, -6 sack).
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I believe most of the starters were pulled at the end of the 1st quarter; at which point, the Titans only had 82 yards total (17 passing, 71 rushing, -6 sack).
    71 yds rushing in the first quarter alone is good? Usually defenses don't get better as the game goes along. They get beaten down and tired.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

71 yds rushing in the first quarter alone is good? Usually defenses don't get better as the game goes along. They get beaten down and tired.
    I'm not saying it is good. I'm simply introducing actual numbers to the discussion.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm not saying it is good. I'm simply introducing actual numbers to the discussion.
    I mean, at that rate, with defenses getting worn down by running games and offenses gaining confidence, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the starters would have given up the same amount of yards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast