Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Let's discuss Richie Incognito

1. The Rams appear to have some nice prospects at OG. Greco, Schuenig, couple of Angus like UFAs.

2. How many sacks was Richie responsible for and how many penalties did he get flagged for? I recall some numbers like 6 1/2 and 14. What are the real numbers and are they considered okay or bad?

3. Isn't he going to be an UFA after the season?

Considering all the above, when someone who knows stuff can provide some stats, is there still a place, this year and after, for Richie on the Rams that couldn't be ably filled by someone else, with a cooler head.

Honestly, can't say I am against him. Just thinking about it after reading another post were it was stated he's a very good player. Is he?

And let's hear the good with the bad. He's a Ram, one of ours. So let's tread a bit soft just in case anyone on the team reads this.

Semper Fi!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Let's discuss Richie Incognito

Run blocking: above average
    Pass blocking: average
    Self-control: below average

I think the Rams, by only giving him a one year deal as a RFA, have made it clear that he's got to prove himself now to earn a long term deal. Otherwise, I like Greco as a prospect to take his job.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Yeay, Go Richieeeee!

The Cog has my FULL support ... for now. I look forward to having a new, mature, improved RI in our OL, proving and vindicating himself as a starter as soon as pre-season begins. Okay, as soon as the regular season begins.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

One thing to keep in mind when evaluating the Cog is to remember that the Rams are transitioning to a power-type of run team. And with the Rams looking to run the ball maybe upwards of 60% or so, I believe that this fits the skills of a guy like Richie to a "T".

In watching him play it is quite obvious that he is much better plowing into the defense than retreating into a pass blocking stance. As far as his self-control issues are concerned a lot of his 15 yard penalties have come while trying to stick up for teamates and the like. Not condoning his actions and I firmly believe he needs to cool it a bit; but, much like an enforcer in hockey, everyone hates him unless he's on your team!!

Besides, I'm not all that sure that the coaches are that upset with the personal foul penalties as much as they are about the foolish offsides ones like he and Barron commit seemingly ad infinitum.

WHAT SAY YE?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

It's all up to Richie. He's going to get a fair shot to prove himself with a clean slate and a supportive coach. Here are some comments from Spags:

New Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo, the former Giants defensive coordinator, also is an unabashed Incognito fan.

"He's the kind of offensive lineman you want to have; tough and physical," Spagnuolo said. "He could play on the New York Giants' offensive line. ... He's that type of guy, and you know I've got a lot of respect for their offensive line."

Despite the controversy that swirled about him, Incognito was in the lineup for all but one game last season (he missed the finale because of illness). He returns to right guard this year, and Spagnuolo is expecting plenty from him. He noted that Incognito has been a weight-room star during the offseason conditioning program.

Spagnuolo also stressed that he "came in with the mind-set that anything that was in the past was in the past. It was a clean slate. Now, let's find out what they can do."

For Incognito, that means maintaining his fire and passion while avoiding outbursts or misdeeds that cost the team, Spagnuolo explained. "It's tough enough to win in this league," he said, "without going backward."

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Richie is exactly the type of offensive lineman the Rams need to build around. A big, nasty run blocking type to open holes for Jackson. I love his passion and I love the attitude he brings to the field. Some self control is needed, but its refreshing to see a guy out there playing the game the way it should be.

The guy has all the potential in the world and also has good speed for an offensive lineman. If he can watch the pointless penalties I think he could be one of the best guards in the NFL.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I like him, but can see both sides of the argument.

I do believe, however, that having Jason bookends is really going to help his play AND his attitude. I think he could have become a little frustrated in the lack of support in running plays from Barron and Lecky, and in Barron's basic lack of intensity.

Also, both Jasons seem to be a little more of kick-ass and take names type guys than he has been used to, and maybe their being in his face a bit will help him control himself, and Spags will instill in him the "team first" attitude so that he will see how much it hurts the team when he goes off.

Let's hope anyway...
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

39thebeast is offline Registered User

The kid has everything he needs to be an extremely successful lineman, but he has never been able to put it all together. Its good to be nasty and tenacious, but he has to keep that under control if we want this team to be successful. He will be flanked by better players this year in Brown and Smith, so that should help him in pass protection. All he has to do is be the beastly run blocker we expect him to be or i'll be perfectly content with Grecco moving forward

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

In regards to Richie's penalties that are a result of being an enforcer defending his team mates...........I like the mental picture I get of the two Jasons doing the same, all three enforcing at the same time. Kinda imposing is it not. Brown is a bit of a mualer. Smith I am sure is tough. If they're all flagged, only one is enforced right? And Greco has a bit of an edge too, all big tough guys. Where is a Ken Norton when you want to see some real entertainment.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -06-19-2009 at 12:18 AM.
    Semper Fi!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I try to refrain from responding to Incognito threads seriously, because I realize I am extremely biased when it comes to him. He was one of my favorite players to watch here at Nebraska, and I was elated when the Rams drafted him, almost as much as when they picked Wistrom.

So, I can only say so much. Let him go and the Rams will regret it. Sure, Greco has shown he can be a starter, but it is nice to have some real depth for once. Just because someone shows promise doesn't mean they should be plugged into the starting lineup ASAP. Keep Incognito for his tenacity and bone-crushing run-blocking - keep Greco for insurance or, if anything, as a replacement for Bell.

If the Rams let Cogs go... wherever he lands in the NFL, he will be a starter. I can guarantee you that - and I'd rather have him starting for the Rams than any other team.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

dude is a freak! just what we need! only downside is his temper. we can utilize him to add depth to our line. if kept on check i like this guy. I would steroid him up and put him on defensive line, he might bite someone's ear off!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Incognito has all the tools that Spags likes and wants on his team. Our entire offensive line is going to have a different attitude under Spags and his run first approach. COGS is going to be a great fit in 2009!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Cogs was a (media)-marked man from day 1 in the NFL. The media loved the fact that a guy named "Incognito" had made such a splash by getting kicked out of two different D-1 programs. So now, every penalty gets magnified. Don't get me wrong, he hasn't helped himself much. With the 4 penalties against Arizona a couple of years ago and the Redskins 34-yarder, oops, I mean 49-yard FG situation last year, Cogs is being watched on the field. And though a lot of this is media driven, he does need to increase his self-discipline, no doubt.

However, the stories that always get glossed over are the Haslett quotes saying Cogs was the best O-lineman last year, Spags seemingly agreeing with that statement, the quotes from opposing D-linemen who are consciously aware of Cogs. Folks, those are good things. As well, all the game film that shows one of the best 2nd-level playmaking Guards in the game today.

I don't think he's a great pass blocker. I think he is a solid 1st level run blocker. However, I can't think of a O-lineman in the game today that A) gets to the 2nd level as quick, and B) in as bad a mood as Cogs.

If Spags is serious about building a blood-and-guts running game, Cogs has to be a part of it.

However,
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rams#1 Guest

richie is the type of guy that we need on the line. granted his control is sketchy.. perhaps we could swap sides and let him take out his rage and be a DT??

idrd is offline Registered User

How the heck can any of you that actually claim to know about football say we have some legitimate Guards who can beat out Cogs ??? Honestly, Greco is not bad but the kid has played ina total of about what? 3 games and the last one was against, besides us, the Rams, the worst run defense in the NFL. Greco has shown my nothing to warrant he is a starter outside of replacing an injured player, period.

Schuening, BIG equates to he is a good player ?????????????????? Schuening has done nothing and will probably be gone after this year.

Setterstrom again, outside of being the poster boy for injuries, the kid played 3 games in 06 about one or two in 07 none in 08 and again, this equates to be good enough to replace Richie Incognito ??????????????

Why do you think we are bringing more beef in folks? Let me give you a hint, its not because we are stacked at the OG position. There is no one on this board that wants to see Greco, Schuening or Setterstrom as our starting guards and play all season, believe me, no one wants to see that.

We could have King Kong at center and Schuening , Greco and Setterstrom would get Mark Killed again.

None of them are bad players but in the same equation, none of them are starting quality players either. If Loney was not the Oline coach, Setterstrom would not even be here anymore.

As far as why the Rams offered Incognito a one year contract ?????????? Because he was a RFA and RFA did not move or even budge around the league this year. Rams are banking on 2010 an uncapped year and guess what ? Incognito will be a RFA again if that happens but this time if the Rams only offer a one year deal another team will scoop him up with a multi year contract due to next year drafts picks will be a dime a dozen if its uncapped. The teams could trade any draft pick and pay players whatever they feel like paying them, this year that was not possible.

As far as sacks allowed ? The NFL teams do not keep counts, the NFL teams do not put up who was repsonsible for sacks, the NFL teams take that sack number from an outside agency. Know who owns that agency? The associated press. In laymens terms, the announcers and media count the sacks and label who was responsible for them, not the team. The team only counts total sacks.

If you believe the source that counts the individual sacks then Nick Leckey was an all Pro Center and only gave up 2 sacks all season. We all know better then that. They also have Orlando only giving up, I believe, 2, love Orlando but he gave up way more then that. Announcers and media have no clue of who was to block who on different plays. I counted at least a dozen times last year where the TE was to pick up the stunting player or the blitzing player comeing thru a hole and completely woooofed the block. That sack should go to the TE or RB, they never do. Heck, Jackson was responsible for at least 3 sacks last year due to his no blocking skills, look at his total, ZERO allowed, no why? They do not compute sacks for RBs or TEs, know why they do not? because the media just pencils in what hole the D player came thru and charges the Olineman. They have no clue if the Olineman pulled out of the hole, it was the Olinemans job to help to his right, it was the Olinemans job to help to his left. They have no clue, just a pencil and 5 names of the Olineman.

The individual sack total for Olineman is a farce. The OT for the Buffalo Bills SUPPOSEDLY gave up something like 12 sacks last year, he went to the pro bowl.

When asked how he thought he got to the pro bowl by giving up that many sacks he laughed at the media and told them," Hey, you guys count name the person who gave up the sacks, not my team or position coach so you are going to have to answer that question" Look up the sack total for Jason Peter if you do not believe me, its a joke.

So please, cut the crap with the sack responsibility, its been blown out the window a loooooong time ago. Richie Incognito, by far, was our best Olineman last year, like him or do not like him, its fact. Jackson got most ypc thru the hole between Cogs and Baron.

For those that want to see Greco , and others, because Setterstrom and Schuening, IMO, will not be here in 2010, you may get your wish if the Rams try the RFA one year deal again on Cogs or Baron because if its an uncapped year, all spending limits are off for the teams and the Rams do not have the money to compete.

If the NFLPA and the owners come to an agreement? Then Cogs will be an unrestricted free agent and the Rams will not be able to match offers given tohim. I think this will be Bulgers last year, regardless if he is decent. I honestly believe if it was not for the huge cap hit, Bulger would be history already.

We are going to be close on the Cap next year if they come to an agreement and if its uncapped, we will be outbid badly for players by the large money teams in huge markets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast