Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    idrd is offline Registered User

Re: Let's discuss Richie Incognito

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Cogs was a (media)-marked man from day 1 in the NFL. The media loved the fact that a guy named "Incognito" had made such a splash by getting kicked out of two different D-1 programs. So now, every penalty gets magnified. Don't get me wrong, he hasn't helped himself much. With the 4 penalties against Arizona a couple of years ago and the Redskins 34-yarder, oops, I mean 49-yard FG situation last year, Cogs is being watched on the field. And though a lot of this is media driven, he does need to increase his self-discipline, no doubt.

However, the stories that always get glossed over are the Haslett quotes saying Cogs was the best O-lineman last year, Spags seemingly agreeing with that statement, the quotes from opposing D-linemen who are consciously aware of Cogs. Folks, those are good things. As well, all the game film that shows one of the best 2nd-level playmaking Guards in the game today.

I don't think he's a great pass blocker. I think he is a solid 1st level run blocker. However, I can't think of a O-lineman in the game today that A) gets to the 2nd level as quick, and B) in as bad a mood as Cogs.

If Spags is serious about building a blood-and-guts running game, Cogs has to be a part of it.

However,
    The only reason Cogs is being watched is because outside of him in recent years, no one single Olineman that plays with the Rams had any fire or attitude. Look at San Diego, Baltimore, even Atlanta where their entire Olines play with attitude. They rarely draw penalties like Cogs does, know why? because the whole dammmm unit plays the same, mean , nasty, and in your face, Cogs style.

Sure the kid is a marked man,its like bringing a pit bull to dog show for minature collies. Which dog will stand out in that show folks ????

Now, bring a Pit bull to a show with other Pit Bull, German Shepards, Rotweilers (sp) and the pit bull will be just like the other dogs and will not stand out. Does anyone see the point I am trying to make here ?

We got 1 Olineman that plays with passion, al beit so, sometimes a little too much passion for the fans but he is playing with 4 Olineman that needs to have their friggin pulse checked at the end of each quarter, or ones that were that way. We will see how the other 4 dogs play in the show this year. If they up there tempo, flags on Cogs will go down noticably.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Warren Sapp hates em..

I like em

Immaturity issues are understandable, but theres something about the way the guy plays the game (a few cleats to the body when he gets the chance type-of-guy) that makes opponents remember him..seems cocky & outspoken but could turn it into a good thing...think about this, nobody on the team is this way, so as long as he can do a good job & keep it down on the penalties he's fine with me...He reminds me of a class clown who was loud & crazy but the other students liked em & the teachers loved em...Hell he sounds like ME..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If Ritchie really wants to be the "enforcer" or "sheriff" he needs to learn that overt shoving after the whistle results in "enforcement" of 15 yd penalties against the Rams' offense. Perhaps Ritchie should spend a little quality time with Conrad Dobler (since he lives in the area), and learn the art of "stealth enforcement." A vicious bite delivered whilst still in the pile draws far less attention than shoving an opposing player after the whistle. It is also considerably more painful while providing the added bonus of compelling infuriated opponents to commit unsportsman like acts after the whistle in full view of everyone. Have any of you ever seen an instance where a player is knocked to the ground after the whistle, a flag is thrown, and then subsequently picked up after the ref is informed by the guilty party that he was bitten? No .. of course not. Ritchie just needs to expand his repertoire ..

If Conrad Dobler played in todays game he would be ejected every game, so throw that scenario out the window. As I said, bring a Pit Bull to a party for Daschunds and tell me what you see.

Its as simple as the nose on our face folks and Spags went into it briefly. You cannot make a full roster full of choir boys. You would not have a team.

The game is a violent sport, period. When you have an offensive line with 2 Dashunds, a large,older Saint Bernard, a golden retriever and a Pit Bull and you throw them out in the yard to play with the ball, The Pit Bull wins

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Being called the best OLer on The '08 Rams is faint praise indeed.

I don't put much credence in either Spags' or Haslett's public statements. They both sound like motivational confidence-boosting ploys for an immature player. No way do I believe that Incognito's level of play genuinely puts him on the same level as Snee or Seubert, the actual starting guards for The Giants.I doubt Spags does,either.

In short, he's near the top of my list of Rams who need to actually show that he isn't a weak link.

Maybe he has the potential & deserves, like Barron & Bell, a chance to show it with a better unit around him. But he did allow a lot of sacks and committed a lot of sloppy penalties, the vast majority of which had nothing to do with being tough or nasty or the team's enforcer.

Ah the old sack count again. Please explain why Lecky was only credited with 2 for the entire year. I will wait. Also, if Jason Peter supposedly had over 11, how does he make the Pro Bowl. Again, I will wait.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by idrd View Post
    Ah the old sack count again. Please explain why Lecky was only credited with 2 for the entire year. I will wait. Also, if Jason Peter supposedly had over 11, how does he make the Pro Bowl. Again, I will wait.
    Forget about the sack count, he needs to get his head straight, knock off the boneheaded penalties and if he's going to be a "nasty" player, don't get caught. Spags has already made it clear that the mistakes are going to stop, or else. I hope Richie is up to the task because I love his game when he's not costing the team 15 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Forget about the sack count, he needs to get his head straight, knock off the boneheaded penalties and if he's going to be a "nasty" player, don't get caught. Spags has already made it clear that the mistakes are going to stop, or else. I hope Richie is up to the task because I love his game when he's not costing the team 15 yards.
    Not getting caught would be a big improvement ..

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Not getting caught would be a big improvement ..
    Which is what Dobler was famous for.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by idrd View Post
    Well, whether Leckey deserved more blame for those sacks or not, they happened.Leckey is gone so I guess the Rams braintrust wasn't unaware of his status as a weak link. But who but the man himself is to blame for the 5 false starts and 3 holds and the 3 other infractions that accounted for another 40+ plus yds in lost territory?

Imo, that's a lot of across-the-board statistical smoke for there to be no worrisome fire. Far more than the NYG guards or any other top drawer OGs I can think of. I'm sure you are right that Leckey's performance affected Incognito's ability to maintain his but he was undisciplined and wildly inconsistent off his own bat,imo.

It'll take a wiser man than me to explain why Peters got PB honors. Maybe Donnie Jones or Phillip Rivers might have some ideas.Apparently, The Bills weren't impressed by it. LOL

As with all the frustratingly inconsistent Rams over the last few years, I'm looking forward to an answer to the Cogs mystery & really hope you are right.

I just have a bad feeling about him. The mental discipline problems , the knee injury, and the number of other options now on the roster who may bring just a more consistent team-oriented and mature contribution make me think he is questionable as a longterm part of the new era.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -06-21-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I just have a bad feeling about him. The mental discipline problems , the knee injury, and the number of other options now on the roster who may bring just a more consistent team-oriented and mature contribution make me think he is questionable as a longterm part of the new era.
    I am hoping Ritchie will respond to the coaching change along with his hopefully having gained a bit more maturity through all the turmoil of the last two seasons. If not, he won't be around for long. Spags has clearly shown he isn't afraid to make changes ..

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Which is what Dobler was famous for.
    To my knowledge he was never flagged for biting .. sure he was caught and flagged for some other stuff -- punching, kicking, gouging, even spitting -- but never for biting .. It's not easy to spot a biter, it's much easier to spot the bitee retaliating.

Conrad Dobler, Guard, St. Louis Cardinals & New Orleans Saints & Buffalo Bills (1972-1981)
    Dobler, in an ESPN poll, was named the dirtiest professional athlete of all time. He spent the week prior to a game building up his hatred over the opponent. Among Dobler’s principal offenses were biting, gouging, punching, kicking, and grabbing the face mask. In 1974, he used a cast on his broken left hand as a weapon. Dobler punched Pittsburgh’s Mean Joe Greene in the solar plexus and kicked the Rams’ Merlin Olsen in the head. He spit in the face of Eagles’ safety Bill Bradley as he lay injured on the ground. When Giants defensive tackle Jim Pietrzak wished him good luck in the playoffs, he punched him. He bit one tackle so many times that the player requested a rabies shot. Dobler swore that he would never intentionally blind someone, only blur their vision.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Here is an idea:

Incognito is a very aggressive player with a serious temper issue. How about move him from from the offensive line to the defense. There is Killer attitude can be put to use--certainly he is large enough has skills as a run blocker that might be converted into a pass rusher.

Am thinking of middle LB to NT. Personally, looking at the depth thus far on the Rams D, I like the idea of a 4/3. Just don't see the Rams able to run the 3/4 yet

RebelYell is offline Registered User

He's been kicked off two teams and has done some really dumb things on the Rams that could have gotten him kicked off. Until the guy shows he can be counted on in the heat of the moment, his personality is a liability.

Jim Thomas was asked about moving Incognito to center and the response was roughly "you can call our line assignments when you are in a heated argument with everyone on the defensive line all game long." If you can't focus on the job and take this stuff personally, you will be a problem when the game is on the line. That was shown very clearly last year when he almost cost the Rams the game.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I am hoping Richie will respond to the coaching change along with his hopefully having gained a bit more maturity through all the turmoil of the last two seasons. If not, he won't be around for long. Spags has clearly shown he isn't afraid to make changes...

And that my friends, sums up best, IMO, the entire thread.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The proof is in the pudding, as they say.

If Incognito was as good as at least one person thinks he is, the Rams would have at least tried to lock him up long term. They didn't. Instead, they gave him a one-year deal.

That says it all, as far as I'm concerned.

At the end of the year, hopefully signing RI will be a priority as a result of is play in 2009. If not, I'm fine with going forward with Greco.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast