general counsel is offline Registered User

Lets discuss The Tackle

I was sitting in the end zone in a box on the opposite side of the field where the Tackle happened. From my vantage point, it didnt look like he got that close to getting in. He looked like he was on the 2 yard line or so, but never right at the goal line. It was clear to me that he stretched for the goal line after he was already down. That being said, i was of course a nervous wreck because i couldnt really be sure. In fact, it took me a minute after the confetti hit the field to be certain that no one was reviewing the play. I began crying like a baby as soon as it ended-it was a 30 plus year wait for me to see our first title.

It was a terrific tackle in the sense that Jones' positioning was sound and his fundementals were perfect.

What are your memories of the tackle? How close did it look on tv?

As an aside, the play i will NEVER forget on that last drive was the impossible escape mcnair made and the thrown down to around the 10 with two or three rams having him sacked around midfield, including kevin carter who just missed him.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Lets discuss The Tackle

Mike Jones couldn't have played that play any better.

The ball carrier looked closer than 1 yard from the television angle.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

probably the most clutch play in superbowl history. The reason I put it ahead of Tyrees catch is because it was a on the last play of the game and was difference between winning or losing the superbowl. Tyree's catch might be the best play, but I think that this is the most clutch

general counsel is offline Registered User

It was certainly the difference between winning and overtime!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    It was certainly the difference between winning and overtime!

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    That's the best point of all. Nothing bugs me more than when I hear someone say the Titans lost by 1 yard. :x No, they lost by a yard and SEVEN POINTS.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

RealRam is offline Registered User

It was a terrific tackle in the sense that Jones' positioning was sound and his fundamentals were perfect. -- General Counsel

Among many other examples used by coaches to either teach or improve their players on how to tacke (I'd say at any level), that TACKLE by Mike Jones has to be one of the best available to review ... over and over and over. Forever!

What a way to put the final note on an exciting Super Bowl!

Frankly, I cannot remember exactly what I thought during the live broacast of that final play. That is, whether Dyson had reached far enough or not. I suppose I bought into the immediate celebration too soon and didn't allow myself the possibility of doubt.

However, once the tackle is replayed, there is definite room and reason to ... at least "want" to see it a couple more times (each time) to sort of enjoy it further -- knowing of course that it will always be safe. :-)

Yes, it depends on the angle.

For a second, for a second's worth of Ramanguish, it does seem that the tip of the ball from the outstretched arm of Dyson **Gasp!** touches the plain of the end zone. Uh, oh ... 'are the refs going to review it?'

But Kevin was truly and fully tackled way before (in the trained eyes of the officials to notice): his knee, leg, rump, elbow, and shoulder -- in that order I think -- had clearly touched the turf before he attempted to get the pigskin over the line. Anyway, that's in 20/20 hindsight and, again, "after further review".

...Nonetheless, 'whew!'

An article right after the game, about The Tackle:

St. Louis Post-Dispatch / Writer Stu Durando

"The first arm clutched Kevin Dyson's waist and slowed his movement. The second gripped his lower leg and locked him in place.

"As the Tennessee receiver eyed the end zone from two yards out, Rams linebacker Mike Jones dragged him to the ground. No amount of reaching for the goal line could negate the perfect tackle that saved Super Bowl XXXIV for the Rams.

"A converted running back, who made his name this season by scoring three touchdowns on fumble and interceptions returns, perfectly executed the defensive play of the game as time ran out."
    :l

And in the words of LB Mike Jones himself (as told then to Vahe Gregorian NFL Insider).

Then came Super Bowl XXXIV, when Jones made national headlines with one of the most memorable defensive plays in NFL history. He preserved the Rams' 23-16 victory over Tennessee with a game-ending tackle of Kevin Dyson at the Rams' one-yard line.

For Jones, the moments that preceded that dramatic play are both vivid and happily blurred. We join him in progress, just before a 73-yard touchdown reception by Isaac Bruce put the Rams ahead with 1:54 to play.

"I was sitting on the bench trying to get rested when I saw the ball thrown up in the air and Isaac make the catch. My teammates must have thought I was crazy because they were jumping up and down and I just sat there and watched it like any other play.'

"I was already looking ahead, and I was thinking, 'I'd better get myself back together.' I didn't want to exert myself too much.'

"When our defense took the field, we had the Titans pinned inside their 20. I thought we would hold them three-and-out. All year, we stopped opponents that way on their last drive. But on third-and-seven, the Titans got a first down. After that, we'd do something good for a couple of plays, but then we'd get a penalty.'

"I was watching this happen and thinking, 'Man, isn't this game ever going to end?' On each snap, I kept thinking that we'd stop them. But they'd always seem to get a first down. It was like the Series from Hell.'

"No play was worse than the next-to-last one, when their quarterback, Steve McNair, scrambled around for what seemed like 25 seconds. We chased him all over the place, then he escaped.'

"I didn't really feel tired until after that play. Everyone felt it then. By this time, they were at our 10-yard line, and there were only five seconds left.'

"I knew there probably was time for only one more play. I was keying on the tight end, but when Dyson went in motion, we changed our call to what they probably wanted - man-for-man coverage. When Dyson motioned back out, we went back to the original call.'

"The tight end and Dyson both released upfield, with Dyson behind him in sort of a trail technique. They were hoping I'd follow the tight end, and they'd come back underneath with the wide receiver. But I saw him out of the corner of my eye. I didn't see the ball, but I saw his eyes get big so I knew the ball was coming.'

"At first, I thought I had him for a kill shot. I thought I had a better angle than I actually did. And I underestimated how fast he is. Running backs usually run that route, and they aren't as fast as receivers. But I think I surprised him, too. He didn't know how close I was. If he had seen me sooner, I think he would have changed his angle.'

"I knew as soon as I hit him that he wasn't going to get in, unless his upper body was six feet long. If it looked as if he was close to getting away, that was just because I hadn't brought my other arm around yet to wrap him up.'

"People have told me it was a textbook tackle. I don't know about that. But the one thing I've learned is you've got to get the guy down. First, you wrap. Second, you get him on the ground. After the play ended, I looked up and saw double zeroes on the clock.'

"I always thought I'd be turning back flips if my team won the Super Bowl. Instead, I acted more like a zombie. All I wanted to do was lie there and go to sleep.'

"When I got up, I felt like I was in a daze. It was like I closed my eyes one second, and when I opened them back up, everywhere I looked there was confetti falling to the ground."

Jones will always have a place among the greatest SB plays ever made. Ramrightly so! :bash:

The Tackle -- Thanks GC.

Re: Let's discuss The Tackle

As an aside, the play I will NEVER forget on that last drive was the impossible escape McNair made and the throw down to around the 10 with two or three Rams having him sacked around midfield, including Kevin Carter who just missed him. -- General Counsel
    That has to be 'The Great Escape' for Titans fans -- before they had to witness the next play!

Unbelievable. McNair looks and moves all over the place before he launches the pass; even Zgonina boxed him in against running north. Then Steve takes off to his right with DL Jay Williams in hot pursuit. HOT!

Kevin Carter joins in, meets Jay and they grab the QB for ... eeeeeee!!! ... The Sack!?! :O

To this day I think both Rams bumped each other right there at the very last instant just enough to prevent McNair from falling down. But Steve did make one titanic effort to scramble free, no doubt.

A beautiful stage set up for what was to be one of the all-time best tackles. Thank You Mike Jones!

Keenum is offline Registered User

Jones peeled off another guy because of the coverage scheme, and if he had peeled off a second too late, that would have been a TD.
    I've also heard that since our defense was so worn out and tired (remember, the Titans had a long drive before that, we scored in one play, then another long drive, sparking the famous "You want out of the game with 23 seconds left to go!?" quote) that the Titans would have leaned on going for 2 points and the WIN if they got that TD.
    Super heads up play by Jones.

stlramman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    Jones peeled off another guy because of the coverage scheme, and if he had peeled off a second too late, that would have been a TD.
    I've also heard that since our defense was so worn out and tired (remember, the Titans had a long drive before that, we scored in one play, then another long drive, sparking the famous "You want out of the game with 23 seconds left to go!?" quote) that the Titans would have leaned on going for 2 points and the WIN if they got that TD.
    And that is exactly what I was thinking before "The Tackle" If they had scored on that play the game was going to come down to a 2PT conversion to decide the Championship. The way Eddie George was running the ball in the 2nd Half and our Defense was obviously winded....Thank God Mike Jones made the greatest tackle in Super Bowl History and we didnt have to see if they went for the tie or win.

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post

Keenum, "Super heads up play by Jones" sums up the heroic feat ... superbly! :bash:

Here's another description of the play that matches yours:

The play

The Titans had just used their final timeout with six seconds remaining. With no more timeouts remaining and the ball on the Rams' 10 yard line, the Titans, trailing by a touchdown, had one last chance to try to tie the game.

The plan was to use Titans tight end Frank Wycheck, who would be running straight up the field on the right side, to lure Jones away from Dyson, who would slant left through the middle of the field. With Jones occupying Wycheck, quarterback Steve McNair would pass the ball to Dyson, who would be open from about five yards out for the score.

As the play started, everything appeared to be going as was planned. Jones ran with Wycheck up the field from the beginning of the play. ...However, as the pass was being delivered to Dyson, Jones, who was at the goal line, glanced over his left shoulder and noticed an open Dyson catching the ball. He switched directions and began to run towards the Titans receiver. Dyson ran directly toward the goal, but his legs were wrapped up by Jones with about two and a half yards left to the goal line.

Since he was being tackled by the legs, there was still the possibility Dyson could reach towards the end zone and get the ball above the goal line*. ...Both players went into a rolling motion of sorts as Dyson—his back in the air but nearly touching the ground, as his legs were on top of Jones—outstretched his hand with the football towards the goal line in the hopes of scoring the touchdown.

Though his reach was close, and the ball mere inches away from the end zone, it was still not enough to score. As the rolling motion came to an end, with Jones now on top of Dyson's legs, his shoulder had touched the ground and, therefore, the game was over.

Had Dyson scored and the extra point been made, it would have been the first Super Bowl to ever go into overtime. However, if the Titans had made a two-point conversion if the TD was made, then the Titans would have won 24-23, which would have made Super Bowl XXXIV the second Super Bowl to have a one-point margin of victory (the first being Super Bowl XXV).

Source: Wikipedia

*. - This is where I disagree with that view. When Jones finished wrapping Dyson, Kevin's left knee, actually foot and knee, then rump, etc., touch the turf. The man was down.

Technically, that's when the tackle was consumated.

The rest was super spectacular alright: both players rolling over, Titan receiver reaching for the goal line and all but no, he had been tackled. Terminated.

It happened too fast for many in the world to be able to see accurately (including yours truly) so I'm sure glad that the official standing on the right sideline, p-r-e-c-i-s-e-l-y over the goal line, saw it all and close enough to make the right call on that fantastic play.

:l One for the ages.
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-12-2008 at 02:09 AM. Reason: One for the ages

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-11-2008, 07:38 PM