general counsel Guest

Lets put the win in perspective, what happens next

What does this win mean? It means we are right in the hunt for the nfc west title and still have a real shot to have an elite season. We now have a huge tiebreaker advantage against seattle, and if we can beat them at home, we in effect have an enormous benefit as we will win the west in the event of a tie. Its also a division win, which i believe helps conference record and tiebreaker wise for both home field and other playoff positioning.

Its not just the huge road win against a quality team, its how we came back and won. There is no quit in this team and we will only continue to improve if we can stay healthy.

At this point, the real key is not to rest on our laurels, but to be able to carry the fourth quarter and OT performance into the next two games, tampa at home and miami on the road, two games that we have to win. 5-2 at the break is very competitive. I would absolutely hate to see us give it back with a subpar performance that leads to a loss against the two inferior teams coming up.

The new orleans loss eliminates any margain for error at this point, given the tough games ahead. We cant afford to lose any more games to teams that we are better than, for 100% sure at home, if we want a shot at home field through the playoffs.

Good health, better defense, and continued improvement by the offense and we are still a 12-4 team, maybe even 13-3 if we get a break.

Can you imagine the odds of winning in seattle with a minus three turnover ratio? We really need to do a better job pressuring the passer, tackling and creating turnovers, but for tonight, lets enjoy one of the greatest comebacks in rams history.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Re: Lets put the win in perspective, what happens next

I'll tell you whats next in my opinion. The schedule looks no where near as tough as it once did. Cards, Whiners, Bucs, so far have only 3 wins between them. Carolina looks no where near the team that shocked the NFC last year.
    Seattle still will take alot of heart and good football to beat. Philly is the team to beat in the NFC . Pats? well we all know about them? Jets are really playing tough. Green Bay lost Mckensie and they have had problems vs us with him in the lineup. Dolphins and Bills dont pose a threat in my eyes.

So what next? I think the Rams riding high off this game could really start to make a dent. We have a young and old team and that is a scary combination. Veterans coaching the young players on the feild and young players bringing that college level excitement to the game whoa look out the Rams are for real.
    Last edited by LaRamsFanLongTime; -10-11-2004 at 03:07 AM.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

PandaRam is offline Registered User

Well I think todays win against the hawks sets up a huge re-match in week 10 (November 14th) Let me explain... Right now our Rams are 3-2, while our NFC West division rivals are 3-1. In week 6 we play Tampa while Seattle plays New England, which means in all likely-hood St.Louis will be 4-2 and Seattle will be 3-2. In week 7 We play another weak opponent in the Miami dolphins, Seattle also plays a weak opponent: The Arizona Cardinals... again in all likelyhood both teams will probably win... which means the Rams will be 5-2 and Seattle will be 4-2. In week 8 the Rams have a BYE Week.. and the Seahawks have a game against the Carolina Panthers. I personally dont like the Seattle Seahawks (as if you didnt know already ) so I dont think they'll win this game.. of course i could be wrong. Lets just say for the sake of time that im rite and the Seahawks do lose... this means that Seattle's record is now 4-3. In week 9 the Rams have a huge test against the defending Superbowl champs and currently undeafeted New England Patriots while the Seahawks have another easy win against the 49-ers... Now I'm a HUGE Rams fan but honestly i dont really know if they can pull off a win against the Pats. Hopefully they can, and if they do it'll be awesome! but im thinking that its most likely gonna be a loss... which means that the Rams record will drop to 5-3 and the Seahawks record will be... yep u guessed it 5-3. This of course sets up the Huge division re-match in week 10 which i first mentioned! So... my prediction for the next 4 weeks are that the rams will go 2-1 and the hawks will go 2-2 setting up the HUGE NFC West division re-match in St.Louis on November 14! Let me know what ya think!
    :ramlogo: GO RAMS GO! I'm saying Loud and Proud up here in Vancouver B.C, Canada (just north of Seattle) This city is Hawks town rite now... but im workin hard to make it Pro-Rams! :ramlogo:

DSG
    DSG is offline Registered User

Rams

Its quite possible with the emergence of McDonald,Curtis and Jackson the Rams offense could come close to the rams offense of a couple years ago,,,they will score points..where I have a huge concern is the defense.They did play better the 2nd half but they seem so weak and vunerable to a strong offensive opponent...I think the Rams are just going to have to outscore their opponents to win this season.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Yep, McDonald and Curtis bring a bit of the "who are you going to cover" aspect back to this offense. I am a little shocked that we can't get more passes to Holt though, double-teamed or not...and too bad Ike only got 78 ...I thought with the overtime he might get his 100 again. I think it's smart to send the young guys deep, because they have more speed than "Isaac Holt". (Isn't it funny that announcers still get them confused.)

Hopefully a turning point for our "D"...at least some momentum.

WOW, what a game. Sit back down Seattle, it's not quite your time.

Did we use McDonald on that OT kickoff return? I think we did. I've been asking for that all year. Harris is a joke on KR's.

elAcky Guest

Here's my assessment

Arlen Harris should not be KRing for any team in the NFL.... he has no role on this team.

Pass defense
    Either we get ourselves a close down CB (both butler and Groce are constantly exposed) or we improve our blitzing and pass rush or better still both... boy were we lucky that the Seahawk receivers can't catch a ball.... D Lewis (suppossed pass rush expert) and Pinkett provide no pass rush abilities that i can see.

Run defense
    Again, the DL is a shambles.. I can't EVER remember Pinkett or Lewis stopping or holding up a RB at he line of scrimage rather that wrapping around there legs with the RB 3 yards further downfield. Our LB seldom hit the wholes preferring the RB to gain 3 or 4 yards before making contact... Pisa in particular, continuosly overruns the plays and gets caught up with blockers. He has to learn discipline and how to shed guys that are 50lb heavier.

Archuleta clearly looks like an injured warrior.. Aeneas looks what he is (old).. Coady should look at another franchise.. in summary, we knew that we would not have the league leading defensive backfield, but with the lack of help from the DL, its starting to be embarrassing.

on the poistive side, our OL really showed some grit.. Grant williams improved as the game went on... but he is not the same caliber as Turley in pass rush duties. Tercero looks pretty solid - maybe our first draftee to make it permanently on the line since Pace... On that note, Pace didn't look anywhere near as dominate as in the past.

I guess your right... looks as though we will need to keep the Defense off the field if we are going to have any hope of making a run this year

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Arlen Harris should not be KRing for any team in the NFL.... he has no role on this team.
    Well typically NFL teams like to keep 3 RBs on their roster. But I agree when you say Harris shouldn't be returning kickoffs, nor should Steven Jackson. I think we should put Garrett back there. They say he's the fastest person on the team, let's see it. Just hold onto the ball.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Maybe they'll give Groce a shot once Fisher comes back from injury.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Hell, line McDonald up back there with someone. He showed he's capable as a return man.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!