general counsel is offline Registered User

Lets see what we do with the cash

In order to evaluate the releases of Pace and (soon to be) Holt, we will need to evaluate what the Rams do with the cash savings. If the money is used to put money in the owner's pockets, i for one am going to scream bloody murder. To save that their cap numbers are too high is a function of what else you intend to do with the money. In Pace's case, i dont understand the decision because i think we are now locked into an offensive tackle at #2 and that player will cost more than pace and have to play as a rookie. I am more sympathetic on releasing holt, but i acknowledge that i am more personally involved with Pace, who is one of my all time favorite Rams and given that i have always been a huge Ike fan, Torry has never been one of my favorites.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: Lets see what we do with the cash

I cannot see Chip pocketing the money that the team saves on Pace and possibly Holt. This would go against everything that they have been saying since the end of last year.

I'm going to stay optomistic and say that we will be amazed at who the Rams bring in, Free Agent & draft, to improve this team !!

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

in fairness i dont think anything Chip etc...have done so far has been to "line his pockets"... im not gonna presume this is any different.

i was hoping OP would stay for one more year atleast but we`ll see how it pans out without him...

sometimes the bitterest pill to swallow is the best pill for us...

general counsel is offline Registered User

Just out of curiousity, what did we do with the cash that we saved last year by cutting Isaac Bruce? Answer. Nothing productive. I will give the benefit of the doubt to the new regime (even though its the same ownership) and hope that they will do a better job.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Why dont the Rams draft Aaron Curry at number 2 pick and then grab an OT in the second round? Because releasing Pace means that a rookie will have to come in and start from week 1, which is a bit risky. However, I dont see it being a bad idea either, because Jake Long came in and started day 1 and now he looks good. But releasing Pace to me not only means that we plan to go young, it also could mean that we are getting OT with our first pick. And releasing Pace definitely means that we have some funds to spare to help us get an excellent or good FA at a position of great need, whether it be WR, DT, CB, or OT.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    In order to evaluate the releases of Pace and (soon to be) Holt, we will need to evaluate what the Rams do with the cash savings.
    Well, they'll use at least part of it to sign their rookies, because the Rams will need more than what they currently have in cap space to sign those guys. So a move on Pace and/or Holt really HAD to be made. I would also assume that part of the freed up cap space could help us sign Karney, Butler, and possibly Frerotte if he returns.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    In Pace's case, i dont understand the decision because i think we are now locked into an offensive tackle at #2 and that player will cost more than pace and have to play as a rookie.
    He'll cost more total yes, but he certainly won't cost more against the cap than Pace would have.

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maineram View Post
    I cannot see Chip pocketing the money that the team saves on Pace and possibly Holt. This would go against everything that they have been saying since the end of last year.

I'm going to stay optomistic and say that we will be amazed at who the Rams bring in, Free Agent & draft, to improve this team !!

Maineram -
    We've always spent as much money as we possibly could. I don't see what changes this. Our aggressiveness so far this offseason kind of shows that we'll do more of the same. Why would an owner pocket the money anyway? This isn't baseball...