Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DPskywalker is offline Registered User

A Letter To Bill Devaney

Dear Sir,

For a brief moment, let's take on the mindset that it's the 2011 NFL draft, and we have the 22nd overall pick. While we're on the clock, Touchdown Jesus magically appears in our war room and gives us a guarantee that if we draft player X, who plays a major position of need for us, he will play at a Pro-Bowl caliber level for at least five years. Player X has some off the field issues, but he's a warrior on the field and a good teammate by all reports.

Do we draft player X? Of course we do...in a heartbeat.

I'm going to assume that we will have, much to my dismay, the 5th overall pick next year. According to the Draft Value Chart that many NFL teams use, the 5th picks of the 2nd and 3rd rounds are worth a total of 775 points (530 and 245, respectively). That total is slightly less than the value of the 22nd pick of the 1st round (780).

Player X, obviously, is Vincent Jackson. We can get him for 775 points, or somewhere between the value of the 22nd and 23rd overall pick. That's what the Chargers are asking for.

To assess whether or not a WR is good, I think he needs at least 5 years in the NFL. From 1990-2004, here are the WR's that were drafted between picks 22-29 of the NFL Draft:

Alexander Wright (1990), Reggie Rembert (1990), Randall Hill (1991), O.J McDuffie (1993), Thomas Lewis (1994), Derrick Alexander (1994), Eric Moulds (1996), Rae Carruth (1997), Marcus Nash (1998), R.J. Soward (2000), Freddie Mitchell (2001), Michael Jenkins (2004).

That's 12 players, and a total of 1 Pro-Bowl caliber player amongst them (Moulds, who is, ironically, very similar to Vincent Jackson).

For the equivalent of the 22nd pick, we're getting that guaranteed stud player that we'd otherwise have an 8.3% chance of landing at that spot.

Please consider this draft value-based data in assessing whether or not you should make one final push for Vincent Jackson.

Regards,

A Fan

PS - Nice job with the 2010 draft!

peramoure is offline Registered User

Re: A Letter To Bill Devaney

The guy had like 69 catches last year, wants 15 million bucks a year, and failed drug tests. Put that as an addendum.

thermobee is offline Registered User

You better have sent that letter already. If you havent... I think we should all put in our names to be added to this letter.

Quote Originally Posted by peramoure View Post
    The guy had like 69 catches last year, wants 15 million bucks a year, and failed drug tests. Put that as an addendum.
    Show me one quote that says that he wants 15mil/year

We are all very opinionated here, because we care and are sick of losing. I know some of us think we should stay away from VJ, so I thought "Maybe I'm wrong...maybe the 2nd and 3rd picks are more valuable."

I did the research to see, objectively, if the value pencils out. Based on the above data, i don't think there's any question.

The only deterrent I can think of is the possibility of him getting another DUI...which seems unlikely, but it's certainly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    You better have sent that letter already. If you havent... I think we should all put in our names to be added to this letter.
    A good friend of mine is his agent. I sent it to him.

Doubtful that he forwards it to Mr. Devaney, but I figured it was worth a try.

Probably better than 8.3% odds

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Rejected.

Salary and alcohol-fueled vehicle escapades aside, we actually use our 2nd and 3rd rounders for constructive picks. (As opposed to frittering them away on very long shot low floor gambles from round 4 on.) 2 good players are better than one.

This just posted on ESPN Rumor Central:

UPDATE: Forget about seeing Vincent Jackson in a Rams' uniform. Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch passed along word from league sources that the team is not pursuing the receiver.
    The Rams' interest from an on-field standpoint was unsurprising, given Jackson's abilities. However, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo has stamped the team with his "Four Pillars" idea, and given Jackson's off-field issues, he may not have been a great locker room fit.

Is there a 5th Pillar that states that the players must not be good at football?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DPskywalker View Post
    This just posted on ESPN Rumor Central:

UPDATE: Forget about seeing Vincent Jackson in a Rams' uniform. Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch passed along word from league sources that the team is not pursuing the receiver.
    The Rams' interest from an on-field standpoint was unsurprising, given Jackson's abilities. However, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo has stamped the team with his "Four Pillars" idea, and given Jackson's off-field issues, he may not have been a great locker room fit.

Is there a 5th Pillar that states that the players must not be good at football?
    I've never done this before, not even to DGR, but can someone please tell me how to ignore a poster?

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I'd prefer not to sign it, as I wasn't ever a fan of getting Jackson and didn't believe that he could turn our team around.

Quote Originally Posted by DPskywalker View Post
    We are all very opinionated here, because we care and are sick of losing. I know some of us think we should stay away from VJ, so I thought "Maybe I'm wrong...maybe the 2nd and 3rd picks are more valuable."

I did the research to see, objectively, if the value pencils out. Based on the above data, i don't think there's any question.

The only deterrent I can think of is the possibility of him getting another DUI...which seems unlikely, but it's certainly possible.
    I am not sure you did the research objectively, no offense. You make claims such as that you have a guaranteed 5 years of pro-bowl caliber production, which you don't. Football, more than any other sport it seems, is vulnerable to players suddenly falling off a cliff in terms of production. There is no guarantee of five years of pro-bowl production, at all.

Also, what makes you think a 2 time DUI offender is unlikely to get another? The fact he has already repeated doesn't bode well for him not doing it again. I'd say it's just as likely that he gets another DUI at this point as it is that he doesn't.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Dear DPSkywalker,

Thanks for your letter and concern about the team. Fan support is very important to this franchise so I wanted to take a minute and explain our thought process in passing on V-Jax.

The 2nd and 3rd round picks are not an excessive asking price by the Chargers but the hangup is V-Jax, so far, is only willing to sign a 6 million dollar one year deal.

Considering he will miss four games this is actually equivalent to almost 8 million dollars a year. Which is a bigger base salary then Fitzgerald, Andre Davis, Boldin, Ochocinco, Owens, Moss, Welker, Brandon Marshall, etc...

But I will concede we could use a number one receiver and 6 million is not too much to over pay for one.

The problem that makes the deal too risky is the 1 year deal. Two draft picks and $6 million only guarantees him in a Rams uniform for 13 games. After this season he would be a free agent, in probably a uncapped year, and his current actions imply he would be looking for the biggest pay check possible.

So we could be out 6 million dollars, two draft picks and still in need of a number one receiver.

So if you could actually draft a letter to V-Jax and convince him to sign a long term deal we may get back into the trade talks.

But most importantly I want to thank you for your vote of confidence on the job we are doing. Your belief we are one number one receiver away from being competitive shows you believe our rebuilding is almost complete.

See you at the games.

- Billy D

The whole time VJax's corner has claimed that he wants a multi year deal not a one year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I'd prefer not to sign it, as I wasn't ever a fan of getting Jackson and didn't believe that he could turn our team around.

I am not sure you did the research objectively, no offense. You make claims such as that you have a guaranteed 5 years of pro-bowl caliber production, which you don't. Football, more than any other sport it seems, is vulnerable to players suddenly falling off a cliff in terms of production. There is no guarantee of five years of pro-bowl production, at all.

Also, what makes you think a 2 time DUI offender is unlikely to get another? The fact he has already repeated doesn't bode well for him not doing it again. I'd say it's just as likely that he gets another DUI at this point as it is that he doesn't.

[QUOTE=RamsInfiniti;358514]I've never done this before, not even to DGR, but can someone please tell me how to ignore a poster?[/QUOTE

All players have the tendency to get injured. Health maintaining, he'll perform for at least five more years.

The reason I don't think he'll get another DUI is the same reason why I don't think Leonard Little will get another one or why I doubt Mike Vick will engage in dogfighting again.

I have a brilliant idea bow to ignore someone's posts. If you see my tag name, don't click on it!

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

The whole time VJax's corner has claimed that he wants a multi year deal not a one year contract.
    Rotoworld linked a story saying the Vikings wanted a long term deal with V-Jax but could only lock him up for a one year 6 million dollar deal.

It said if they could have got the long term deal they would have offered more to the Chargers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    Dear DPSkywalker,

Thanks for your letter and concern about the team. Fan support is very important to this franchise so I wanted to take a minute and explain our thought process in passing on V-Jax.

The 2nd and 3rd round picks are not an excessive asking price by the Chargers but the hangup is V-Jax, so far, is only willing to sign a 6 million dollar one year deal.

Considering he will miss four games this is actually equivalent to almost 8 million dollars a year. Which is a bigger base salary then Fitzgerald, Andre Davis, Boldin, Ochocinco, Owens, Moss, Welker, Brandon Marshall, etc...

But I will concede we could use a number one receiver and 6 million is not too much to over pay for one.

The problem that makes the deal too risky is the 1 year deal. Two draft picks and $6 million only guarantees him in a Rams uniform for 13 games. After this season he would be a free agent, in probably a uncapped year, and his current actions imply he would be looking for the biggest pay check possible.

So we could be out 6 million dollars, two draft picks and still in need of a number one receiver.

So if you could actually draft a letter to V-Jax and convince him to sign a long term deal we may get back into the trade talks.

But most importantly I want to thank you for your vote of confidence on the job we are doing. Your belief we are one number one receiver away from being competitive shows you believe our rebuilding is almost complete.

See you at the games.

- Billy D
    Thanks for the prompt reply, Billy D!

I definitely think we're one player away from being 2-0, and thus in sole possession of 1st place in our division.

I was under the impression that VJ wanted a multi-year deal, but you'd know over me.

One thing I think we're all overlooking is the a availability factor of players. Sure, for $8mm a year I'd rather have Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. Unfortunately, those guys are not available.

It's kind of like the picks that Chicago gave up for Cutler: steep price, but Pro Bowl ayers entering their primes are just seldom available.

Anyway, I hope you continue drafting well.

Salud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast