throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Letters to Gordo

Mike R.: Gordo,
    Do you think Jonathan Wade will make a contribution for the Rams this season? If so, where do you see him getting the most playing time -- special teams or corner?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Jeff Gordon: Barring injuries, Wade is a No. 4 cornerback going into camp. He is raw. But he can fly, so Job One, for him, is to star on special teams -- and knock off some of the veterans on the depth chart.

sean: last year look liked holt slowed a step, is it my imagination, or was his knee btohering him that much

Jeff Gordon: Holt WAS hurt last year, so I seriously doubt that he lost a step at his age. He is a fitness guy with a lot of pride. Like Bruce, he will excel for a long, long time -- unless something debilitating happens to him.

sean: does jimmy kenedy make a difference this year?

Jeff Gordon: In another answer, I pointed out the depth at DT. Carriker is already a starter and Glover is a great change-of-pace guy in the middle. Wroten has a big upside. So there is competition for time. And Carriker is taking the nosetackle role -- or some variation of that -- which Jimmy wasn't great at.

sean: does john alston make a difference this year?

Jeff Gordon: Linehan mentioned that he has a chance, given his potential to help special teams. Haslett will configure this "D" according to the strengths of the players -- and my 1380 radio partner Jeff Vernetti notes that Jim did like Alston's abiliy to provide pressure. He is an interesting athlete.

sean: of our new additions through F/A (bennet, mcmichael, hall, or dante), who makes the biggest difference in our team?

Jeff Gordon: Tough question. I'd say a tie between McMichael and Bennett, two big targets for the red zone. They are Linehan-type guys. They will help him install his offense. DE Hall is being counted on to apply pass pressure and KR Hall is supposed to fix the return problem. All four will help, but I'll vote for the two offensive guys.

sean: bartell or the third round rookie as our nickleback this year? maybe butler? does one of those 3 replace tye or brown as the starter?

Jeff Gordon: Butler seems permanently locked into the Linehan Doghouse, so he isn't a factor. Wade could grow into the gig, once he picks up the D. Bartell is handy utility guy who could secure his spot on special teams. But there will be a LOT of corners in camp, so this race is hard to handicap.

sean: a few years ago we were one of the fastest teams in the nfl (on offense and defense), we were all about speed ball, what happened? were fast, but were not bullets anymore. philosophy change, or age?

Jeff Gordon: Martz was all about the speed. Linehan is more conventional; he likes size. If Mad Mike was still running the team, he would have added more speed. So this is both age and philosophy.

sean: will leonard little ever slow down?

Jeff Gordon: They all slow down at some point. Little has already had his valleys in production. But he is a freakish athlete, so the Rams were smart to lock him in to another deal.

Josh: At this point in time, who do you see making the roster as the third QB?

Thanks.

Jeff Gordon: Nobody at Rams Park believes Fitzpatrick is in any danger in this point. He seems ideal for the gig -- he is smart and mobile.

sean: if we win the superbowl this year, and we have the 32nd ranked defense, do u think people will still cry for defense?

Jeff Gordon: Linehan will never win a World Championship with a 32nd ranked defense. He is not wired that way. He will never try to just outscore people. He is way more conventional -- ball control, field position, all that stuff.

panther19845: Do you think seattle is still the favorite in the nfc west ,The Rams offense looks strong, and the defense was upgraded with hall,and Carriker, Also don,t forget Dante hall which means good field position

Jeff Gordon: Seattle succeeded despite myriad injuries last year, so it's hard to pick against them. The Big Red, Niners and Rams are all a threat to break through. But until we see it, it's tough to believe it. Holmgren knows what he is doing in Seattle.

Robert: How do the Rams feel about the development of their high draft choices over the past few years? Barron, OJ and Incognito seem solid, but what about Bartell? Hill and Klop should be productive, but what about Wroten and Alston? Is Alston going to be a small WIL or an Adrian Wilson type safety? If these guys pan out we have a great nucleus going forward, but I think we could be in trouble if not.

Jeff Gordon: As I mentioned earlier, there is still hope for Alston (as a pass rusher and teams guy) and Wroten. Klopfenstein was a great choice. Hill is gine. Bartell is handy, because he is versatile.

Flash: Who do you think will get the starting spot for LOLB Draft or Chiller.

Jeff Gordon: They love Chillar, which surprises some media types. I'd say it's his to lose. But they also have some expectations for Draft.

carlos: Mark Bulger in his last year of his contract, and there have been no offerings or contract extensions. Is there a posibility that he ends up a free agent by the end of the season?

Jeff Gordon: Linehan's M.O. has been to re-up key players before they become free agents. I assume that will happen here, as long as Bulger comes out with his new weapons and makes this offense click. Marc is a smart QB and a tough guy. He could have a lot of years left in this offense, which offers more protection than the Air Martz scheme.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Letters to Gordo

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post

carlos: Mark Bulger in his last year of his contract, and there have been no offerings or contract extensions. Is there a posibility that he ends up a free agent by the end of the season?

Jeff Gordon: Linehan's M.O. has been to re-up key players before they become free agents. I assume that will happen here, as long as Bulger comes out with his new weapons and makes this offense click. Marc is a smart QB and a tough guy. He could have a lot of years left in this offense, which offers more protection than the Air Martz scheme.
    JG's response to this question has me puzzled abit. JG assumes Bulger will be taken care of before he becomes a free agent. But "BUT" as long as Bulger comes out with his new offensive weapons and makes the offense click? IMHO Bulger doesn't have anything to prove. It took MB a few games to adjust to the new Linehan style of offense last season but that can be said for the entire offensive unit. MB had an awesome 2006 and 2007 will be even better after having a full season to digest this new system. So basically I'm disagreeing with JG on this one. Bulger is our man and we need to get him locked in now!:r