Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Letters to Gordo: Fans call for Martz's head

“How many times is Martz going to shrug off his stupidity and say, ‘that was a coaching mistake, we'll fix that’, or we know what went wrong, ‘we'll fix it . . . ’ FIX IT ALREADY MARTZ! I'm tired of hearing the excuses!
    Yea, this never ending mantra is what's most disturbing to me about Martz. How many of us could go into the boss's office week after week and say, "that was my mistake" or "we'll fix that" before some drastic action is taken? It just gets to the point where you have to say maybe you don't have the ability to fix it.

I'm not calling for his head, not in the middle of the season, but Martz has to get his house in order, NOW.
    I can take losing if the team plays hard and looks prepared, but losing because of mistakes, sloppy play, lack of preparation and an uninspired attitude is wearing very thin.

We all know Martz has a great W/L record, but he's 10-10 in his last 20 games which is obviously not great. This is a defining time in Martz' tenure as the Rams head coach and he needs to step up to the plate and deliver. I believe he can do it, but will he?

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I never made it past high school ball, but laps are always good motivators. First, they get/keep you in shape. Second, they're mind-numbingly boring so usually, players do what they have to to stay out of doing them. Lastly, it's embarrassing. If you're doing laps, everyone knows you screwed up.

As far as the 3 Super Bowl expectation, it's not really that out of line. The post said "since 1999" so one SB's already in the bag. The second, should have been won in most people's estimation. The third one is the stretch in expectation but hardly unrealistic or lofty if you agree with points 1 and 2. "If" the Rams had won those first two, an additional SB appearance in one of the remaining four seasons since 1999 would have almost been expected wouldn't it?
    Mok, IMO, to ever expect a SB is to expect too much. There are 32 teams in this league and any of them could win the SB. The right play at the right time....or wrong play at the right time...may be the difference between the trophy and an offseason filled with shouldas.

I just don't see how we can ever expect a SB. Our one SB was only 1 yard away from being taken from us. If Proehl hadn't made the catch in the NFC Championship......or what if Harrison didn't take out Green's knee? Anything could have made that year different. The talent differential is too small in this league to ever expect a SB, IMHO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

3. I don't think we need to run the ball thirty times, but twenty wouldn't be bad.
    YES YES YES! Hell even 19 times would be nice. We have 4 RB's on this team and we can't run the ball with any consistency.

With Sapaia moving to TE this week, I hope that Martz plans on doing some gridiron grinding this week. If SJ is hurt start Marshall, if he can't get it done then put in Harris. We have to be able to pound the ball if we want to succeed.

Should he have made them run wind sprints or something?
    Coach RAMMAN would.

TX, the D will be alright if and only if Marmie is aggressive in his play calling.:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    I don't really think that one play hurt us all that much and I've been one of Martz's biggest supporters on the Internet. However, some things are glaring that haven't been fixed on his watch.

1. Special Teams have been a killer for 5 years now.
    2. The Defense just doesn't really scare anyone. Ever under Martz.
    3. I don't think we need to run the ball thirty times, but twenty wouldn't be bad.

He's starting to even frustrate me.
    Wow, this very surprising. The times, they are a changin'!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Hey, one thing about me is that I've never been one to sugar coat things. If they stink, I'll say it. If they shine, I'll say it.

However, I've given Martz some free passes in the last few years but something is glaring now. An article in the LA Times that I saw on the Rampagers list is enlightening. The Rams can't throw underneath anymore. It's all downfield and those are tough to come by in the NFL. The running game will solve that but it has to be established and so how does Martz establish one? It's tough to change a Tigers stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Hey, one thing about me is that I've never been one to sugar coat things. If they stink, I'll say it. If they shine, I'll say it.

However, I've given Martz some free passes in the last few years but something is glaring now. An article in the LA Times that I saw on the Rampagers list is enlightening. The Rams can't throw underneath anymore. It's all downfield and those are tough to come by in the NFL. The running game will solve that but it has to be established and so how does Martz establish one? It's tough to change a Tigers stripes.
    This is where I think Faulk is being grossly underutilized.

the brent is offline Registered User

One of those original quotes echoed something I have been saying for quite some time, Martz, while an excellent OC may not have what it takes to be a head coach.
    Hubison, I read your stuff often here and certainly respect your opinion, but I think that on this topic you are in denial. And I also believe that speed and hands have always been a part of traditional football; though the forward pass was an innovation, the lateral has always been a part of the game. There are no skills necessary for Martz's game plan that cannot translate into success with other more conventional styles. Those that believe that Martz's players could not play in different, more conventional schemes need to remember that they all at one time did, be it college or pro. Sad to say that I think history may prove another quote true from that list that a number of years of talent have been wasted.
    SUFFERING IN SEATTLE

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Screw us, who cares what we think? I certainly hope Martz doesn't.
    I understand what you are leading to with this statement. The fans should not influence decisions, however, the fans are what supports the team.

The fans are the paying customer. So, it is important what the fans think to the extent of continued support of the team. Will the fans support a losing team? Should they?

I certainly will not continue to pay to see pathetic play from football players who are not only earning millions but are supposed to be the best in the world at what they do. Not at these prices!!

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    So then motivation is not the responsibility of Martz?
    Oh I just can not stand this. It is one of my pet peeves. Why in the heck should Martz need to motivate highly paid individuals to do their jobs? Is there no self-motivation or self-pride to be the best they can be and earn the millions they are being paid?

My answer is: It is not Martz' responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by brent
    Hubison, I read your stuff often here and certainly respect your opinion, but I think that on this topic you are in denial.
    First, thank you. I appreciate your compliment and enjoy your thoughts as well. I've often wondered what it must be like for you living behind enemy lines. It's easy to live in Missouri and be a Ram fan, but for you in Seattle...well, my hats off to you.

Second, it is quite possible I'm in denial.....it's certainly happened before.
    Those that believe that Martz's players could not play in different, more conventional schemes need to remember that they all at one time did, be it college or pro.
    Each member of this offense could do quite well in another offense, no question. However, I don't think this offense as it stands personnel-wise could do well in a more conventional offense. For example, Holt, Bruce, Curtis, and McDonald are all the same basic player......a deep threat receiver. The only possession short range receiver would be Looker. I don't see a conservative attack being able to truly utilize 4 deep threats. But this is just my opinion and nothing more.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by ferter
    I certainly will not continue to pay to see pathetic play from football players who are not only earning millions but are supposed to be the best in the world at what they do. Not at these prices!!
    But there are people that will. Look at the Cards. The Bidwells haven't had a winning team since when.....the Civil War, the Polk administration? But, they seem to stay afloat. I think you know what I'm saying though. I don't want a coach or FO that bends a knee to the ramblings of fans. We don't know how to coach a team or run an organization like the Rams.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Is there no self-motivation or self-pride to be the best they can be and earn the millions they are being paid?
    I agree with you wholeheartedly, but the fact is that some people aren't self-motivators. And that is what coaches are paid in part the millions they are paid. To sort out the wheat from the chaff. And to keep the message on point.

Run laps? Hold meetings? If someone has cost you a game? Why give them another chance to cost you another one? Fire them. Unemployment is a great equalizer.

Oh I just can not stand this. It is one of my pet peeves. Why in the heck should Martz need to motivate highly paid individuals to do their jobs? Is there no self-motivation or self-pride to be the best they can be and earn the millions they are being paid?

My answer is: It is not Martz' responsibility.
    I think you know my viewpoint here as well. IMO, part of the definition of a professional is self-motivation. If these players can't motivate themselves to play ball, they need to find another occupation. I guess my point is why would people blame Martz for player motivation when that shouldn't even be in his job description. That's a personnel problem, not a coaching problem.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

I don’t think there is any reason to make changes in the middle of the year for any NFL team. But if at the end of the year he is setting at 8-8 then I would strongly consider the more conventional coach over the shock and aw coach.

I was just thinking about this its hard for any player to perform mentally at 100% for an extended period of time. Even great player like Little can have games were he is not into it 100% mentally. Everyone always talks about how Martz's offense is the most complicated and how we go into games with more plays then any other team. I don’t know do you think that the players all though they may or may not say that they like it have a hard time mentally preparing for a game trying to think about all the offensive plays in the game plan? Do you think there could be some hesitation instead of reacting right away on what they are supposed to be doing?

Baltimore the year they won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer as their QB there offense was less then conventional. It was really bland they would just asked the offense not to turn the ball over, try to move the chains, run time off the clock with the run game, and then let the defense do the rest. They had a very good defense that year. It was like a chess match they would move the ball a little then their defense would stop them. They would move the ball a little more and then the defense would stop them. This would continue until before you knew it they were in scoring position.

Baltimores approach is a 180 from Mike Martz approach. Their style was blander then what I would want as far as a conventional type coach. I still would settle for a little less defense then they had if I had a little better offense that could come back when down. But they did some little things that helped them win. Using the clock and keeping your defense well rested. Minimizing mistakes on offense and generating turnovers on defense. Their defense would limit the opponent’s time of possession by stopping the run. Every player had a clear understanding of what his role was and it didn’t vary that much from week to week. They were used to average scoring games and games that are close. Therefore they didn’t get emotional highs and lows. It was not a Jackal and Hyde experience through out the game they were just playing football and plugging away at it.

I agree with Hub about this offense being tailored around Martz style. We have been unable to run the ball effectively because we are not winning the battle in the trenches. Jacksons last game he had 10 rushes for 17 yards. Since we have been unable to run the ball they are rushing only four and still applying pressure because of the battle in the trenches. Then they drop more people into coverage, which causes the underneath to be covered as well. The one aspect that Martz probably does better then any coach is he can stretch the field with his long routes. It wouldn’t be easy for another offensive coordinator to impose his very own style on this team because of our personnel. We protected our QB good last game but we could not get a push in the running game. This reason is by no means an endorsement one-way or the other for Martz. Its just something that needs considered if we do bring someone else in. They are not going to step in and the players respond to their new style right away it may take a while.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -10-06-2005 at 12:10 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12