r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Lewis Puts Pressure On Null

Lewis puts pressure on Null

BY BILL COATS
    Monday, August 30, 2010

Tempted as he might be to play the me-vs.-him game in his tussle with Keith Null for the Rams' No. 3 quarterback job, Thaddeus Lewis resists.

"I don't worry about things you can't control," Lewis explained. "And I can't control what Keith, Sam (Bradford) or A.J. (Feeley) is doing. I can only control what Thaddeus is doing."

And what Lewis, an undrafted rookie out of Duke, is doing is putting some heat on Null, the Rams' sixth-round draft pick a year ago who because of injuries wound up starting the final four games of the 2009 season.

"That's a good battle going on," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "We're going to need another game to let it play out. I thought Thad did a nice job to help himself" in the Rams' 36-35 victory at New England on Thursday.

Entering in the second half in relief of Bradford, the 6-foot, 219-pound Lewis directed a 15-play, 76-yard march that took 9 minutes, 19 seconds off the clock and culminated with a 20-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Brandon Gibson.

Lewis hit on six of seven passes for 45 yards and also scrambled for a 9-yard gain during the drive, which extended the Rams' lead to 27-14.

After the Patriots rallied for a 28-27 lead, Lewis was intercepted by safety Brandon McGowan, who raced 38 yards to the Rams' 10-yard line. Three plays later, the Pats were in the end zone again and up 35-27.

But Lewis didn't waste any time feeling sorry for himself.

"Not at all. Playing this game for all these years at the quarterback position, things like that are going to happen," he said. "It's important how you respond to it. I had to pull myself together and pull the offense together and try to get another drive going."

On the ensuing possession, Lewis went four for four for 46 yards in an 11-play, 73-yard drive that trimmed the New England edge to 35-33.

"I felt like I bounced back and helped the team take it down and get another score," Lewis said. "I felt good about that, how I responded from the interception. You can't get down. You've got to have a short memory at this position."

Null earned some points, too, for running the 2-minute offense effectively on the game's last series. Josh Brown's 37-yard, last-play field goal won it for the Rams.

After three preseason games, Lewis has completed 16 of 20 passes for 166 yards, with one interception, one touchdown and a passer-rating of 97.1. Null is 10 of 27 for 101 yards, with no TDs or interceptions, and a passer rating of 37.0.

Both Lewis and Null are expected to see significant action Thursday night, when the Rams close their preseason schedule against Baltimore at the Edward Jones Dome.

Despite the personal stakes, Lewis insisted that he wasn't heaping any extra significance on the game.

"I look at it as another opportunity," he said. "You've got to get better. Look at the mistakes you made the week before and make sure you don't make those same mistakes.

"Every day it's a fight. I think I did some good things (at New England), and hopefully I did help myself. But you never know about these situations. You've just got to go out there and play to the best of your ability every time you get a chance."

Rams cut three

With the deadline approaching to trim the 80-man training camp rosters to 75, the Rams released cornerback Marcus Brown, guard Joe Gibbs and running back Jamie McCoy.

Wide receiver Donnie Avery, who suffered a torn ligament vs. the Patriots, will be placed on injured reserve, meaning one other cut must be made by Tuesday's deadline. Rosters must be cut to 53 by Saturday.

injury update

Safety Kevin Payne (knee) and wide receiver Jordan Kent (nausea) left practice early Sunday. Others still sidelined were Feeley (thumb), safety James Butler (knee), tight end Daniel Fells (knee), guard John Greco (chest), defensive ends James Hall (hip) and George Selvie (leg), and linebacker David Vobora (hamstring).

The knee injury that tackle Phil Trautwein sustained Tuesday at practice has been diagnosed as a torn ligament. He'll be sidelined six to eight weeks, Spagnuolo said, and could wind up on injured reserve.

Springfield Rams is offline Registered User

Re: Lewis Puts Pressure On Null

Pressure busts pipes, and hopefully Null's are about to bust. Sick of having this guy on the team.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield Rams View Post
    Pressure busts pipes, and hopefully Null's are about to bust. Sick of having this guy on the team.

I don't mind him getting pushed in camp but I don't get the dislike of Null.

He was a rookie qb in over his head but it seemed to me he gave 110%.

Two seasoned qbs couldn't get an offense going behind that line last year let a lone a newbie. In fact put last year's line out there against the Pats and I doubt Bradford would have had such a great game.

Trust me I think Bradford will be great and Null will always be a backup but I do like routing for the guy.

Besides... who wants a qb named Thaddeus.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I really like both these guys. Null is absolutely fearless and Lewis can make things happen with both his arm and feet. I think Null has more potential and upside, but if I needed a win today, I'd be more comfortable with Lewis. Which one to keep will probably be a tough decision for the coaches.

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

Lewis offers us an option that the other two three QB's do not: the threat of running. We could use him situationally, such as in short yardage situations.

Null is cool, but he's the same type of QB that Feely is.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Got have my respect for Null after taking all those beatings in our terrible offense and coming from a division II team to immediately translate to NFL gameplay as well as not throwing Ryan Leaf tantrums (seeing that he was coached by him)

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I really like Null, would rather have him on the team as our 3rd string. Kid took a beating last year and gave it his all every play. That said, I am very impressed by Lewis this preseason, if he gets cut he should not have a problem finding a job.