Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The Life Cycle of the (non) Story

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Life Cycle of the (non) Story

1. Rob Ryan is fired.

2. Rams blogger writes story titled "Should the Rams Pursue Rob Ryan as DC?" The only facts that are in this story are (a) the Rams don't currently have a DC, (b) Rob Ryan does not currently have a job, and (c) Jeff Fisher has a connection to Rob's father.

3. Twitter and message boards start buzzing... "Should the Rams hire Rob Ryan." Thousands of fans with no inside information whatsoever discuss and debate the topic.

4. The Post-Dispatch, recognizing the buzz, writes an article that states "Itís believed that the Rams have had at least some internal discussion about reaching out to recently fired Dallas defensive coordinator Rob Ryan." This is a perfect device. While it seems like a report, its really not. "Its believed" - by who? And how does the PD know? "Internal discussion" - among which Rams officials? What was discussed (was it merely someone saying "hey, do you think we should reach out to Ryan," and Jeff Fisher saying "No.")? And again, how does the PD know what is being being discussed internally (or, do they merely "believe" it was discussed?)

5. Twitter and message boards escalate the buzz. "Rams reached out to Rob Ryan," they'll say, paraphrasing the vague statement of the PD.

6. Perhaps, someone will actually have the opportunity to ask Jeff Fisher or Les Snead about it. However, even if they deny the "interest," people will still wonder if its a smokescreen. After all, "everyone is talking about it," so there must be some truth to it, right?

7. The Rams will hire a DC other than Ryan or Ryan will accept a job with another team. The story will then seemingly die.

8. If Rob Ryan does a particularly good or bad job, or if the Rams' DC does, during the 2013, someone will ask "why didn't we hire Rob Ryan?" or comment that "its a good thing we decided against hiring Rob Ryan."

Welcome to the "information age."
    lostsoul likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: The Life Cycle of the (non) Story

I find the PD spends far too much time addressing fans, in particular Bernie, and far too little time actually reporting and doing quality stories.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Uumm, the point of a writer is to grab your attention... Which they did, you read the articles, right? Well their job is done. And the PD is suppose to address the fans. Who else are they suppose to address, the Rams FO?
    Last edited by Fastcat; -01-11-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Uumm, the point of a writer is to grab your attention...
    No, that's not a full job description. In fact, its a minor part of the job. The primary job function, in my opinion, is to uncover and report facts.

Which they did, you read the articles, right?
    I skimmed its contents after Nick posted it here.

Well their job is done. And the PD is suppose to address the fans. Who else are they suppose to address, the Rams FO?
    They should be speaking to the fans, but not letting internet trolls dictate their agenda.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I find the PD spends far too much time addressing fans, in particular Bernie, and far too little time actually reporting and doing quality stories.
    Additionally, I find the Pope to be particularly Catholic. And I find that with few, if any, exceptions species under the general title of "Bear" tend to relieve themselves in a forested area.

Sorry. That's my smart-arse way of saying.....Berg, I couldn't agree with you more.
    laram0 and berg8309 like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

This is all part of the media's desire to "one-up" their colleagues by "scooping" a story. We've seen it time and again both in sports and in life where reporters or talking heads report something carelessly and prematurely and it turns out to be wrong. Someone needs to tell these guys that Joe Q. Public doesn't care nor remember "who breaks a story" unless it's some monumental event. They DO CARE if the story is right!

The Ryan story may turn out to be accurate, but at this point, it's another example of shoddy reporting and substantiating innuendo.
    AvengerRam likes this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Additionally, I find the Pope to be particularly Catholic. And I find that with few, if any, exceptions species under the general title of "Bear" tend to relieve themselves in a forested area.

Sorry. That's my smart-arse way of saying.....Berg, I couldn't agree with you more.
    is this were the defecation hits the rotary oscillator? Man I love that movie.

gap

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I remember a few years back when someone was posting gossip that supposedly came from billy devaney.

Even though it was not coming from the media it's kinda the same thing in my opinion.

Whether it's the media or the water cooler, people are always talking about what they think they might know.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    1. Rob Ryan is fired.

2. Rams blogger writes story titled "Should the Rams Pursue Rob Ryan as DC?" The only facts that are in this story are (a) the Rams don't currently have a DC, (b) Rob Ryan does not currently have a job, and (c) Jeff Fisher has a connection to Rob's father.

3. Twitter and message boards start buzzing... "Should the Rams hire Rob Ryan." Thousands of fans with no inside information whatsoever discuss and debate the topic.

4. The Post-Dispatch, recognizing the buzz, writes an article that states "It’s believed that the Rams have had at least some internal discussion about reaching out to recently fired Dallas defensive coordinator Rob Ryan." This is a perfect device. While it seems like a report, its really not. "Its believed" - by who? And how does the PD know? "Internal discussion" - among which Rams officials? What was discussed (was it merely someone saying "hey, do you think we should reach out to Ryan," and Jeff Fisher saying "No.")? And again, how does the PD know what is being being discussed internally (or, do they merely "believe" it was discussed?)

5. Twitter and message boards escalate the buzz. "Rams reached out to Rob Ryan," they'll say, paraphrasing the vague statement of the PD.

6. Perhaps, someone will actually have the opportunity to ask Jeff Fisher or Les Snead about it. However, even if they deny the "interest," people will still wonder if its a smokescreen. After all, "everyone is talking about it," so there must be some truth to it, right?

7. The Rams will hire a DC other than Ryan or Ryan will accept a job with another team. The story will then seemingly die.

8. If Rob Ryan does a particularly good or bad job, or if the Rams' DC does, during the 2013, someone will ask "why didn't we hire Rob Ryan?" or comment that "its a good thing we decided against hiring Rob Ryan."

Welcome to the "information age."
    So, if the Rams end up hiring Robbie what will the headline of your event-related post be?

It wouldn't change anything. Whether or not Ryan is hired by the Rams, this is one of the worst examples of "reporting" ever.
    bradwill likes this.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    It wouldn't change anything. Whether or not Ryan is hired by the Rams, this is one of the worst examples of "reporting" ever.
    'worst example of "reporting EVER." Even worse than 'Dewey Beats Truman.' NOT! Why is it unacceptable that the media are speculating about Ryan's hiring? I'd be pleased if we hired him because we might get the Weight Watchers blimp to fly over our tailgate. Media are paid to speculate (it's called getting ahead of the story)!

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam

'worst example of "reporting EVER." Even worse than 'Dewey Beats Truman.' NOT! Why is it unacceptable that the media are speculating about Ryan's hiring? I'd be pleased if we hired him because we might get the Weight Watchers blimp to fly over our tailgate. Media are paid to speculate (it's called getting ahead of the story)!
    Guess you skipped the "one of the" part.

As for the notion that the media is "paid to speculate," you are just plain wrong. The media's job is to research, investigate, analyze, and report. A chicken pecking on a list of names and teams can "speculate" (aka guess). That's not "getting ahead of the story," its making up stories (and hoping for a blind squirrel outcome).

richtree is offline Registered User

This is the TMZ nation that has ruined our media......

I can't even watch sports-center because there isn't even highlights .....

I think it is funny when the same story is being projected on multiple teams all reported in the same fictitious fashion that AV spoke of...

Unless Rob Ryan is playing Left Guard I don't think we should consider him, nor is he actually being considered.....

NFC West is a bad@ss division -- no times for knuckleheadz

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

What does this story have to do with the Rams?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    What does this story have to do with the Rams?
    It says "Rams" in it multiple times ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast