Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Like Warner, If Faulk's Not Faulk, A Clean Break Is Needed

And so, my friends, I fear we find outselves in somewhat familiar territory.

A star player who helped the Rams win their only Super Bowl is potentially at a point of decline and it is questionable whether he can ever play at a level close to what we remember from 1999-2001.

Behind him is a young, promising player who many feel is ready to step in and take over.

If Faulk knee is not healed, and he can't be the feature back, the best thing for the Rams is to let him go and move on. Steven Jackson has the potential to be a feature back as a rookie. Even if he's not and never will be Marshall Faulk, if Marshall can't be either, he shouldn't be played because of nostalgia.

Its the nature of the beast. Great players don't last forever.

Aries51 is offline Registered User

Re: Like Warner, If Faulk's Not Faulk, A Clean Break Is Needed

Alot of people might be quick to anger and denial after reading the above post,but Marshall is at the tail end of his career.The key word is IF.If Marshall can continue to be healthy and productive he can still strike fear into opposing defenses.Plus he may still be valuble as a third down back and receiver for a couple of more years.The great thing about Marshall Faulk is the fact that IF Marshall Faulk is no longer playing like Marshall Faulk,he alone will most likely be the first to recognize this and step down.Marshall has a lot of pride and he has said himself that if he doesnt feel he can help the team anymore he would retire.Lets just hope that we can get another year or two out of him while Jackson develops.
    Last edited by Aries51; -07-10-2004 at 10:52 PM.
    ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I thought that the FO should have offered KW a position as a coach. If nothing else, his on field experience and mannerisms would have helped somewhat. Since he moved on, another team gets the benifits....but we will survive.
    Faulk, however, is just plain dangerous. He knows what to do, when and how t o do it, better than anyone in the league. We can't afford to let him go to another team, instead, we should be finding a way to keep him on staff...

RamMyrow is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Behind him is a young, promising player who many feel is ready to step in and take over.
    Steven Jackson is young and promising, but to say he is ready to take the reins is a little premature in my opinion. Steven Jackson is a power back, but Faulk is/was much more than a running back. As we all know Faulk can run, catch, block, and keep defenses honest anytime he is on the field. Jackson is...well...a rookie. He needs to be much more than a power back to replace Faulk.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Smile Re: Like Warner, If Faulk's Not Faulk, A Clean Break Is Needed

You're right Myrow, Jackson is a power back, but he also does the other things quite well. He blocks well and he catches passes. He has some large, sure hands and he is not a fumbler, much like Faulk. He also has a great stiff arm. The only thing that worries me, if Faulk can't go and Gordon doesn't step up, is how fast can Jackson learn the intricate Rams offense. He needs to be a quick study so he can contribute at a high level. Rookie RBs can play in this league, but the Rams offense does have a high learning curve.

:ramlogo:

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If Faulk knee is not healed, and he can't be the feature back, the best thing for the Rams is to let him go and move on. Steven Jackson has the potential to be a feature back as a rookie. Even if he's not and never will be Marshall Faulk, if Marshall can't be either, he shouldn't be played because of nostalgia.
    I agree that we shouldn't be playing a subpar Faulk for nostalgia purposes alone, but I would rather try to restructure his contract to fit his new role so that we could keep him as a situational back before just letting him go or trading him. If Marshall realizes he's on the decline, perhaps he'd be willing to help the team out by freeing up some cap space and hanging around in very restricted roles so he can help develop Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFamily
    I thought that the FO should have offered KW a position as a coach. If nothing else, his on field experience and mannerisms would have helped somewhat. Since he moved on, another team gets the benifits....but we will survive.
    If Kurt was unwilling to be a back-up quarterback, I have serious questions about whether he would have even considered an offer to be a coach. The situation with Kurt Warner is he still thinks he's a starting QB capable of playing at an elite level in this league (and he very well could be right). As a back-up QB to Bulger, he'd at least have a shot at seeing the field. As a coach, he'd never put the pads and jersey on again. I just don't see him accepting that offer right now since he still believes he's starter material.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    You're right Myrow, Jackson is a power back, but he also does the other things quite well. He blocks well and he catches passes. He has some large, sure hands and he is not a fumbler, much like Faulk. He also has a great stiff arm. The only thing that worries me, if Faulk can't go and Gordon doesn't step up, is how fast can Jackson learn the intricate Rams offense. He needs to be a quick study so he can contribute at a high level. Rookie RBs can play in this league, but the Rams offense does have a high learning curve.
    Very good points, Ferter. There are more similarities between Faulk and Jackson than one might think just by glancing at them. And yes, the Rams offense is fairly difficult to learn. Look how hard it is for offensive linemen to get a good feel for the offense. Turley and Wohlabaugh had problems stepping in last season and they're seasoned vets. Jackson's inability to attend some of the functions because of the CBA's rules about graduation is only going to hinder how effective he'll be for the Rams in 2004.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by RamMyrow
    Steven Jackson is young and promising, but to say he is ready to take the reins is a little premature in my opinion. Steven Jackson is a power back
    Actually, Jackson ran a 4.45 40 on grass during his workouts, and ran faster on turf. He's more than just a power back.

As we all know Faulk can run, catch, block, and keep defenses honest anytime he is on the field.
    One of the reasons Jackson was taken is that he was considered as good a receiver and blocker as any back in the draft.

Jackson is...well...a rookie. He needs to be much more than a power back to replace Faulk.
    Actually, Running Back is probably the position that rookies can step in and play with the greatest amount of success. There is no shortage of examples of RBs who came in and made an impact as rookies.

The funny thing is that we're already starting to see the same kind of "he's no [former star]" analysis as we see with Bulger and Warner.

That's really not the point. Jackson may never be a Marshall Faulk, just as Bulger may never be a Kurt Warner. But the team needs to play the guys who are the best players RIGHT NOW. Not the guys who WERE the best players.

If Faulk is healthy, he's still the man. No question. But if he's not, Jackson should be given a chance to show what he can do.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

It's true great players don't last forever. Tackles, turf, and age will take their toll. Marshall isn't young for a running back, but he has still has some moves and probably a few years left in the tank if he is played correctly, provided he can overcome his injuries.

The Rams made a good move in picking up Jackson. Multiple running backs with the ability to run, catch and block is good. Good for the Rams.

Avenger, you are pushing the extremes yet again with this concept of needing a clean break from Faulk. This is different from the Warner situation because a team can utilize more than one RB. Just like WRs, there can be many RBs used. Now QBs are a different story. You can only have one starting QB.

I hope Faulk stays healthy and struts his stuff for the Rams this year.
    :ramlogo: :ramlogo: :ramlogo:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That is true to a point, but I question whether Faulk would ever be used as a mere role player.

That is true to a point, but I question whether Faulk would ever be used as a mere role player.
    What do you mean by "mere role player"? What role are you talking about? Do you think that Martz will limit Faulk to say only play in short yardage situations for example? Or maybe Faulk will only be put out in a receiver role?

You don't think this is possible for whom? For Martz or for Faulk? Who is the limiting person in changing Faulk's role on the team?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Martz has never really platooned RBs, and Faulk is used to being a feature back. So, I have my doubts that Faulk or Martz would be comfortable with a system in which Faulk is anything but the feature back.

The funny thing is that we're already starting to see the same kind of "he's no [former star]" analysis as we see with Bulger and Warner.

That's really not the point. Jackson may never be a Marshall Faulk, just as Bulger may never be a Kurt Warner. But the team needs to play the guys who are the best players RIGHT NOW. Not the guys who WERE the best players.
    Good point. And even if Jackson never becomes as dangerous as Marshall Faulk, he can still be very efficient and productive enough for this team to win and for him to be a playmaker for us. The idea that players like Bulger or Jackson have to be equally as good as their predecessors is somewhat ridiculous, IMO.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Good point. And even if Jackson never becomes as dangerous as Marshall Faulk, he can still be very efficient and productive enough for this team to win and for him to be a playmaker for us. The idea that players like Bulger or Jackson have to be equally as good as their predecessors is somewhat ridiculous, IMO.
    Nick, I understand what you're saying and I agree. However, I think for those that require the heir apparent to match the production of the predecessor, they do so because the predecessor won a SuperBowl. I know you mentioned Bulger and Jackson, but I would throw Martz in there as well.
    Last edited by HUbison; -07-12-2004 at 02:50 PM. Reason: grammar, grammar, grammar
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Nick, I understand what you're saying and I agree. However, I think for those that require the heir apparent to match the production of the predecessor, they do so because the predecessor won a SuperBowl. I know you mentioned Bulger and Jackson, but I would throw Martz in there as well.
    Hmm, good point. For me, as long as the heir apparent can be productive enough to win, I don't think there's a reason to necessarily match the efficiency of the person before them. Winning is winning. If you can pass for 3,600 yards and 25 TDs and win a Super Bowl, so be it. Warner passed for 4,830 yards in 2001 but that made no difference in the end because the Rams lost the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, Brady and his 2843 passing yards, less than what Bledsoe did the year before, walked away with a ring.

Martz has never really platooned RBs, and Faulk is used to being a feature back. So, I have my doubts that Faulk or Martz would be comfortable with a system in which Faulk is anything but the feature back.
    I love how you make me look words up. Who uses the word "platooned" in a sentence? lol... well you do. And after reading the definition, you did a fine job of applying the word. Apparently it is a football word.

Now I can't claim to know what Martz will do, because he surprises me all the time. And I can't claim much Ram history, so I'll have to take your word that Martz does not platoon RBs; however, in my opinion, Faulk has not been much of a "feature back" in the last season. Faulk was on the sidelines quite a bit and Gordon and Harris got a fair amount of handoffs. I actually don't see much difference in using Faulk and Jackson, versus Faulk, Gordon and Harris.

Martz may have a problem with platooning RBs, you may be right on with that thought, but I think Faulk would play whatever role he can to contribute to the team. Faulk seems to be a team player, a competitive team player, mind you. He does want to run the ball himself, but I think he would be happy to play a more limited role if it could extend his time in the NFL. Faulk showed interest in mentoring and coaching last season. I think he is already moving away from the "feature back" mentality. These are just my opinions. I may be way off base.

In the end Martz is the guy calling the plays. I am sure he can take Faulk out of the game as easily as he did Warner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast