Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Cool Re: Like Warner, If Faulk's Not Faulk, A Clean Break Is Needed

Who uses the word "platooned" in a sentence?
    Managers of Baseball teams.....

:ramlogo:

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Like Warner, If Faulk's Not Faulk, A Clean Break Is Needed

I just Knew I was missing some things by not watching baseball, and vocabulary must be one of those things. :tongue:
    Last edited by UtterBlitz; -07-13-2004 at 08:06 AM. Reason: brain not working this early in the AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Its good to have a good vocabulary because then people think you are good at making good points using good words in a good way.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Its good to have a good vocabulary because then people think you are good at making good points using good words in a good way.
    This is one of the gooder (if not the goodest) posts of the day.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I think running back by committee is a little more common phrase than platooning, but I'll add that one to the list.

I have no problem cutting a running back like Faulk if he becomes unproductive. Start phasing in the rookie if he loses a step this year.

It was a little different scenario with KW, as a QB isn't exactly over the hill at 32/33. Some are even in their prime in their early 30's. An earlier post mentioned KW being a coach... That would have never happened this year, however, I could see him being on the Rams coaching staff in a few years. That would be awesome.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I don't like the running back by committee approach. Backs have their best games when they are consistently fed the ball. If Faulk shows significant decline this season, which I don't expect, he should at least play the role of a third-down back.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Lets hope Steven Jackson becomes a productive back for us this season and not a bust like a lot of RB's that get selected in the first round.

Everyone seems to think the rumours re Faulks knee are true and he will not contribute

I thought Platoon was a good film but whats it got to do with football

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but at OSU wasn't there a pretty significant difference between Jackson's yards-per-carry numbers if he had more than 20 touches in a game. Wasn't his ypc about 1.5 yards more in games where he had at least 20 touches or something close to that? Faulk will have to retire before SJ will see attempts like that.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but at OSU wasn't there a pretty significant difference between Jackson's yards-per-carry numbers if he had more than 20 touches in a game. Wasn't his ypc about 1.5 yards more in games where he had at least 20 touches or something close to that? Faulk will have to retire before SJ will see attempts like that.
    I think I saw something like that, yeah. It seemed to suggest that he didn't really get going until later in the game. I dunno, we'll just have to see. I'm optimistic about Jackson, but with so many teams passing on him in the draft, I'm going to reserve my feelings either way until I hear some stuff out of camp and preseason.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Martz has never really platooned RBs, and Faulk is used to being a feature back. So, I have my doubts that Faulk or Martz would be comfortable with a system in which Faulk is anything but the feature back.
    Maybe it's time to make an adjustment. Martz has never "platooned" backs because it was never necessary. Faulk has never been anything but a feature back because he has always been able to carry the entire load. If Faulk can still play, he will continue to be a serious threat to opposing defenses, but with his recent health problems it makes no sense to ride him until he burns out or gets injured again.

I would hope both guys could sit down, look at the situation in realistic terms and come to an agreemant on what is best for all concerned. Getting Jackson in the mix seems like the logical thing to do. To what extent he would be involved with the offense is the question. I'm sure it will all hinge on what Faulk's condition actually is and how much of his role he would be willing to give up. He's proud, but he's also a consumate team player.

This issue is huge because I think so much of the Rams success will depend on the effectiveness of the running game.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Maybe it's time to make an adjustment. Martz has never "platooned" backs because it was never necessary. Faulk has never been anything but a feature back because he has always been able to carry the entire load. If Faulk can still play, he will continue to be a serious threat to opposing defenses, but with his recent health problems it makes no sense to ride him until he burns out or gets injured again.

I would hope both guys could sit down, look at the situation in realistic terms and come to an agreemant on what is best for all concerned. Getting Jackson in the mix seems like the logical thing to do. To what extent he would be involved with the offense is the question. I'm sure it will all hinge on what Faulk's condition actually is and how much of his role he would be willing to give up. He's proud, but he's also a consumate team player.

This issue is huge because I think so much of the Rams success will depend on the effectiveness of the running game.
    Great post.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12