Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Re: Limbaugh, Checketts join in bid for Rams ..

Here is what concerns me. Checketts already has a professional hockey team. And if you guys are correct in saying he will be the "face" of ownership, how much time can he really give us? Owning one team I can imagine would be enough issues, but managing two? Makes me worry that we won't get the proper attention that we really need.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    Like BRM said having Limbaugh in any way associated with the Rams is like having T.O. in the locker room - or worse. He is a drug addict and a raving lunatic.

If Limbaugh buys the Rams I'm outta here...
    okay... bye bye... :waves:

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    Here is what concerns me. Checketts already has a professional hockey team. And if you guys are correct in saying he will be the "face" of ownership, how much time can he really give us? Owning one team I can imagine would be enough issues, but managing two? Makes me worry that we won't get the proper attention that we really need.
    Personally I think this is a good thing. I like my owners to care and be involved but not constantly sticking their hands in everything.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

You know what guys? If you would stop following the Rams because Rush Limbaugh would be part of the group of investors that owns the team, then good riddance. You weren't a real fan to begin with. I can understand being upset if your a liberal, but to say you would actually stop rooting for the team??? Ridiculous!

He wouldn't be the owner. He wouldn't be making any football decisions at all. All he would be doing is supporting the team financially.

Yes, he's a biggot. Yes, he's a Republican (GASP!!! The Boogymen!!). But he isn't going to stop his career in radio to run the Rams. He will have ZERO input when it comes to the day to day operations of the team. He isn't going to make the team wear red. He isn't going to make us run all of our plays to the far right.

My only concern at all would be that potential free agents wouldn't want to play for us because Limbaugh's name would be associated with the team.

And one more thing. Stop the references to Adolf Hitler. When you do that, your just showing how ignorant you truly are.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

I just want the Rams to play good football. With that said, high-profile owners generally suck.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I've wondered a little about that as well. And maybe I'm just being an anti-hockite (since we're content to throw around silly nomenclature these days), but if I'm owning a NHL team and a NFL team, I'm putting more time into the bigger money maker; which is to say the NFL team. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    I just want the Rams to play good football. With that said, high-profile owners generally suck.
    Hmm, I don't know that I'd classify Dave Checketts as high profile exactly.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ventesette is offline Registered User

He's not going to be the GM, he'll be part of the ownership team. He seems good at choosing people to run his teams (I have no idea how he is with the Blues, but the Knicks were in the finals and fell apart when he left) and keeping his nose out of their business. He is also not dumb enough to ignore an NFL franchise for a hockey team. He knows where the $$ is.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    My only concern at all would be that potential free agents wouldn't want to play for us because Limbaugh's name would be associated with the team.
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it's a baseless concern, but you never know what a players mindset is, especially in these intensely emotional times.

I'm a conservative, but I don't care for Limbaugh and wouldn't want him anywhere near the Rams. We have enough problems and distractions.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it's a baseless concern, but you never know what a players mindset is, especially in these intensely emotional times.

I'm a conservative, but I don't care for Limbaugh and wouldn't want him anywhere near the Rams. We have enough problems and distractions.
    I don't think it is baseless at all. I mentioned this earlier in the thread. His polarizing comments could easily split the team, as well as turn potential monster free agents off.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

I might be wrong, but I don't think most NFL players care who signs the checks, just as long as the checks will cash.

Of course, it's not like Free Agents are beating a path to sign for the Rams as it is.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I might be wrong, but I don't think most NFL players care who signs the checks, just as long as the checks will cash.

Of course, it's not like Free Agents are beating a path to sign for the Rams as it is.
    OK, then let me ask you this. IF by some chance you are wrong, can you see how the problem of free agents not beating a path to play for the Rams could be made worse?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

WhinerFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fatlibertarian View Post
    Also.. I think he said McNabb wasn't playing good at the time. I don't believe he was the only one of that opinion, as a lot of Eagle fans were all over McNabb as well. It's sports analysis and I would venture to guess they've all been wrong before and will be wrong again. Limbaugh, in his short tenure was no different. It's just that people hate Limbaugh so much they were looking for any reason to go after him.
    Actually, he said that Donovan McNabb was not a very talented quarterback (with no "at this time" included) and that he was being hyped because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed. McNabb continued the season to go 12-4, and the next year went to the superbowl.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Perhaps you're right for the most part HUb, but in a situation where a player is weighing options, it could be a factor IMO.

WhinerFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    Some of the most confident, toughest, and most successful people involved in the NFL can also be the most controversial a-holes. I believe the term is called "Alpha-male".

Rush is a quintessential alpha-male.
    Rush Limbaugh is not an alpha-male. If he is, you may call me Adonis, from now on. Being an opinionated a-hole is not a prerequisite for being an alpha, nor is it a defining characteristic. Please, go to your local comic shop and ask someone their opinion of the latest Star Trek movie. Now tell me if you would consider them an alpha-male.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast