Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Joey is offline Registered User

Re: Limbaugh, Checketts join in bid for Rams ..

Hopefully Limbaugh's next endeavor into the NFL will turn out better than his last... when he said skin color and the Eagles defense dictated McNabbs success which he didnt deserve.

Limbaugh resigns from NFL show

In the wake of his controversial statements regarding Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, Rush Limbaugh has resigned from his position on ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown pregame show.
    ESPN has accepted the resignation.
    "My comments this past Sunday were directed at the media and were not racially motivated," Limbaugh said in a statement issued late Wednesday night. "I offered an opinion. This opinion has caused discomfort to the crew, which I regret.
    "I love NFL Sunday Countdown and do not want to be a distraction to the great work done by all who work on it.
    "Therefore, I have decided to resign. I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of the show and wish all the best to those who make it happen."
    George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports, issued the following response:
    "We accept his resignation and regret the circumstances surrounding this. We believe that he took the appropriate action to resolve this matter expeditiously."
    The comments referenced by Limbaugh came during Sunday's pregame show when the conservative talk show host offered the opinion that McNabb wasn't as good as the media perceived him to be.
    "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."
    Negative reaction did not come immediately. But on Tuesday, McNabb told the Philadelphia Daily News: "It's sad that you've got to go to skin color. I thought we were through with that whole deal."

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by WhinerFan View Post
    Rush Limbaugh is not an alpha-male. If he is, you may call me Adonis, from now on. Being an opinionated a-hole is not a prerequisite for being an alpha, nor is it a defining characteristic. Please, go to your local comic shop and ask someone their opinion of the latest Star Trek movie. Now tell me if you would consider them an alpha-male.
    not a very good analogy at all.

I hated the new Star Trek movie. Does that make me an opinionated a-hole?

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I've wondered a little about that as well. And maybe I'm just being an anti-hockite (since we're content to throw around silly nomenclature these days), but if I'm owning a NHL team and a NFL team, I'm putting more time into the bigger money maker; which is to say the NFL team. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.
    Hu, Checketts isn't that hands on type of guy, at least he isn't as far as the Blues are concerned. He hired John Davidson to run the team, a classy, quality guy who knows and has played the sport. Checketts is the type of guy to hire say someone like a Bill Parcels or Tony Dungy to run the team and report to him with their needs. How cool would that be to have some "football" people in the front office.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Did you know that Dave Checketts is a Mormon!?!?!!?

Let's discuss/debate the relevance of that for the next week, shall we?

WhinerFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    not a very good analogy at all.

I hated the new Star Trek movie. Does that make me an opinionated a-hole?
    I do not know if you are or not, but the point was (and I may not have gotten this across very well) that anybody can have strong opinions, even those people none of us would ever dream of describing as alpha-males. The premise was that the people hanging out at a comics shop are not typically the most dashing, or physically imposing people in the world, and yet they can be just as opinionated as Rush (and yes, some of them are sure to be a-holes as well). I picked the Star Trek movie because it was the first thing that came to mind that everyone would know.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I don't care who owns the organization as long as they are willing to do whatever it takes to win.
    You play to win the game. Plain and simple. The owners do not play the games, and I could see Checketts Limbaugh and homeboy already here in place actually spending money. The blues always put together a formidible team and the Nuggets have been solid for years now so why would the Rams not put together a squad to at least compete year in and year out...

Limbaugh would at least stir things up.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Let's discuss/debate the relevance of that for the next week, shall we?
    I guess if you can handle multiple wives, two pro teams should be a piece of cake.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Hopefully Limbaugh's next endeavor into the NFL will turn out better than his last... when he said skin color and the Eagles defense dictated McNabbs success which he didnt deserve.

Limbaugh resigns from NFL show

In the wake of his controversial statements regarding Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, Rush Limbaugh has resigned from his position on ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown pregame show.
    ESPN has accepted the resignation.
    "My comments this past Sunday were directed at the media and were not racially motivated," Limbaugh said in a statement issued late Wednesday night. "I offered an opinion. This opinion has caused discomfort to the crew, which I regret.
    "I love NFL Sunday Countdown and do not want to be a distraction to the great work done by all who work on it.
    "Therefore, I have decided to resign. I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of the show and wish all the best to those who make it happen."
    George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports, issued the following response:
    "We accept his resignation and regret the circumstances surrounding this. We believe that he took the appropriate action to resolve this matter expeditiously."
    The comments referenced by Limbaugh came during Sunday's pregame show when the conservative talk show host offered the opinion that McNabb wasn't as good as the media perceived him to be.
    "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."
    Negative reaction did not come immediately. But on Tuesday, McNabb told the Philadelphia Daily News: "It's sad that you've got to go to skin color. I thought we were through with that whole deal."
    Off topic: Why was Limbaugh so harshly critisized for these statements? When McNabb made racial comments all week long before the Philly-Atlanta NFC championship game the next year, he was given a free pass.

Mcnabb is a celebrated player, yet Limbaugh is hated. I would argue that McNabb is at least as bigoted as Limbaugh, yet I bet none of you would be threatening to abandon the team if it was announced that Donovan would be suiting up for us next week.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

STOP IT. Everyone stop with the Limbaugh is this, that, and the other. The Rams are notorious for having owners that aren't necessarily "the norm". Whether you like him or not, it's irrelevant. He's going to be PART owner of this team. PART being the operative word. Nothing you, me, or even Avenger can do about it. This ownership group will get the votes because 1. Most like Kronke 2. They'll keep the team in STL allowing Jacksonville to move to L.A. We might as well face the facts that he's going to be the owner and live with it.

I as a moderator don't want to have to close, edit, silence, shut people up, or revert back to my BlackTrout moderating days montoring every stinking thread about Limbaugh. I don't have the time anymore. Do us mods a favor, shut up about it and accept it.

BTW, Scott when you brought up that "Joey" thread, it took me back to a time when those battles between the whiners fans and us were quite fun. Dez remembers Joey.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -10-06-2009 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Nothing you, me, or even Avenger can do about it.
    Well... that's not exactly true.

I guess this is the right time and place to announce that I have put a bid in to buy the Rams and move them to Orlando.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will also note that I am a pro-choice, anti-tariff, pro-capital punishment, Satan-worshiping, Jewish Druid (or Jewid, as we call ourselves), with sixteen wives and an affinity for the teachings of Karl Marx, Groucho Marx and late-80s pop star Richard Marx.

Wish me luck!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

If these threads keep popping up, Limbaugh could supplant Bulger as the most polarizing figure on ClanRam. Who would have thought??

Pop! Pop! Pop! Pop! Pop! Pop!

The sound of the heads of the "Society of Liberals Against Bulger" ("SLAB") exploding upon the announcement that Rush Limbaugh, if he becomes a co-owner, would immediately trade Marc.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports, issued the following response: "We accept his resignation and regret the circumstances surrounding this. We believe that he took the appropriate action to resolve this matter expeditiously."
    Hmm, so he wasn't fired, but rather resigned.
    I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."
    Well now that is just odd. Because it appears some are under the impression Limbaugh was fired (which he wasn't) for saying things like "McNabb is a bad QB" or "McNabb is not talented" (which isn't what he said). Hmm, I wonder what else about this topic may be a little off.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AV
    Quote Originally Posted by tx
    The Rams are notorious for having owners that aren't necessarily "the norm".
    Forget "the norm"; AV says our next one will be "the Morm"!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Is it really so far out to think that players would be less likely to sign with the Rams with a crazy rascist at the wheel? Would Donovan McNabb sign with Limbaugh's team? For the record I am firmly against so called 'affirmative action' (apparently widely accepted by liberals in the US, much to my disgust) which is just rascism in different clothes, but that doesn't make old school 'standard' rascism or whatever you want to call it any better or more justified.

If he bought the Rams how long until he shouts abuse (racial, political, religious or otherwise) at the opposing teams' players? How long until he does it against one of our players who rubs him the wrong way (wrong skin color, doesn't believe in God, is gay or a million other little things that will trigger this wacko)? We all know he can't keep his mouth shut for 10 seconds and doesn't think before he speaks, that's what he's doing for a living (very successfully too - he's probably the world's most successful troll). I don't see how it would help us but I see lots of ways in which it could be detrimental.

Like signing Vick or T.O getting Limbaugh involved in any way with the Rams adds media drama we don't need - only worse I would imagine. It's not strictly about politics (though being European I am obviously on the left compared to Limbaugh - the only people over here who are not are wearing swastikas). I wouldn't want some left-wing communist nutcase taking over either, the key word here being 'nutcase'. I have no idea what political opinions our current owners hold, because they keep it to themselves. They can be as left- or right-wing as they please as long as they know to shut up instead of putting their feet in their mouthes and creating problems for everybody.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast