r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Line Coach Helps Lure Players To Rams

Line coach helps lure players to Rams

BY STU DURANDO
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The allure of Jeff Fisher was unquestionable when it came time for Trevor Laws and William Hayes to determine their NFL futures. But a lesser-known coach had a significant, possibly equal, impact when it came to signing with the Rams.

The team's two newest defensive linemen cited the presence of line coach Mike Waufle as a determining factor in choosing St. Louis despite other offers.

"I know Coach Waufle can bring something out in me that hasn't been brought out yet, and I'm excited about that," said Hayes, who played the last four seasons for Tennessee. "I think he's one of the top coaches in the NFL, so it's a privilege just to get to work with him."

Hayes, a 6-foot-3, 272-pound defensive end, said he first learned of Waufle during his college days at Winston-Salem State. He said the combination of Fisher and Waufle prompted him to cancel a visit to Denver, along with other possibilities, and take the Rams' offer.

Laws, a 6-1, 304-pound tackle, picked up his education about Waufle from former Notre Dame teammate Justin Tuck, who played for the veteran coach with the New York Giants.

"The way he approaches the game, it's kind of a scientific methodology, and I like the way he approaches things," Laws said. "He comes at it in a way I can understand, talking about physics and how the body works, and it computes for me."

Both are attempting to take their careers to another level. Hayes played for Fisher with the Titans after he was a fourth-round pick in 2008. His best season was 2009 when he had 51 tackles and four sacks.

Injuries have been a problem the last two seasons, and he is recovering from a shoulder problem as the Rams go through two days of minicamp this week.

"I take pride in stopping the run and getting after the passer," Hayes said. "My last couple of years I've been injured, so I'm dedicating myself to the weight room and the training room for my teammates."

Laws has dedicated himself to the St. Louis scene since arriving in town last week. He attended Cardinals and Blues games before getting down to business at Rams Park.

He played in 56 games during his five seasons with Philadelphia but started only twice. Not to be deterred, he envisions himself pushing for a starting job.

His role changed with the Eagles in recent years, He was used largely in third-down situations in 2010, when he had four sacks, but was shifted to more running situations in 2011. He said St. Louis offered the prospect of a larger role.

"I felt they had a need at defensive tackle, and I hope I can get some more quality playing time," he said. "Right now the door is open for a starting job. I'll do whatever they ask of me and starting would be great."

Defense adjusting

Fisher was excited to hit the field for the first time with his new team. The Rams started working on basics of the run game and play-action to get things going, and Fisher said the offense was ahead of the defense because of the instability caused by the issues with Gregg Williams.

"I've been hearing stuff from a couple of different (coaches), but they're all speaking the same language," linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "The way it's being installed, you get bits and pieces from everyone."

Said Fisher, "It's gone smooth. The staff has done a great job adjusting."

Excused absence

Safety Darian Stewart was the only player missing from Tuesday's session. The 2011 starter had a reason that was a little out of the ordinary.

"He was taking an exam at school, and I understand he'll try to get back (today)," Fisher said. "But we understand that and we discussed that."

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Line Coach Helps Lure Players To Rams

I'm not sure how I feel about this DC by committee deal. I guess we'll see but I feel like the Rams would be better served having someone be THE guy on defense to make sure everyone was on the same page.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Personally, i am most worried about putting guys on the field that tackle and cover an awful lot better than what we have seen out of the rams in the past. I am not really worried about the coaching by committee issue, because i think that as a practical matter, its really fisher's show on defense. Ramping up materially on our defensive talent will be one of the two critical factors in improving our defense. The other key factor will be the ability of our offense to actually put together multiple first downs more than once in a blue moon so that our defense doesnt get completely worn down and run over in the second half. We were reasonbly competitive last year in the first half on defense, and we tended to get run out of the building after halftime (ie after the offense repeatedly went three and out and couldnt convert on third down).

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I believe its about time Mr Goodell gave the Rams some compensation, like a draft pick for all the inconvenience caused, allowing Williams to settle in with the Rams. Knowing full well he was about bring a poo storm to Williams. It's definitely thrown a spanner in the works, so compensation shouldn't be out of the question.?

ramsflow is offline Registered User

Yeah I agree its ridiculous that we get screwed over during the saints whole bountygate.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about this DC by committee deal. I guess we'll see but I feel like the Rams would be better served having someone be THE guy on defense to make sure everyone was on the same page.
    The GUY your looking for is Jeff Fisher or Jeff Fishers puppet, take your pick.