RamWraith is offline Registered User

Lineahan on the Mic

From today at Rams Park:

Coach Scott Linehan

August 11, 2007
    (On the first preseason game)

“Just one announcement and I take responsibility for this so don’t get mad at me but we are going to have practice closed tomorrow. We are 50-50 whether we are going to be in or out for obvious reasons. It is supposed to be 100, 101 degrees tomorrow. I don’t know what that does to the index. It’s not quite as humid today as it has been so if the index is still there and it’s not extremely high we may go outdoors just for the conditioning and work outdoors and be able to get outdoors. We can’t chance that if it is high, that we move indoors. We don’t want to disappoint fans who are planning on coming and see that they can’t get in to the indoor. We will do it day-by-day this week, we are not going to do the entire week. Hopefully, there will be a break in the weather or the humidity goes down and we feel good about it. If we go out tomorrow, there is a pretty good chance we will stay out all week. That is our plan for right now.

On the injury front, one change from last night. WR Dominique Thompson did have two, I’m not sure if I would call them broken ribs, but they are displaced down in the lower right side from the hit that he was knocked out for a few plays. He actually went back in and played which showed his ability to handle that, which had to be extremely painful. I would say he will be at least a few weeks before he is going to be able to participate in any contact. RB Brian Leonard also bruised his lower rib cage. He should be fine. He should actually be able to full go tomorrow with a little discomfort. CB Jonathan Wade is cleared. We will do the neuropsych test, the standardized test that we do for people who get a little shaken up. It will be done tomorrow and if that clears he will be cleared. WR Dane Looker took a knee to his lower back. He is questionable as to how much he will do in the next couple practices. He should be ready to go next week. With the old injuries, obviously DT La’Roi (Glover) was held out. He took a little set back from pre-game warm up. He was planning on playing a series or two but he took a set back with his groin or hip flexor. I think WR Dante Hall will be much better this week. He had a good workout prior to the game. We just held him out based on not being 100 percent but he should be ready to go this next game. LB (Tim) McGarigle is improving. He is still probably going to be a game time decision next week but should be participating more in individual drills and we will see how he is by mid-week. T Ken Shackleford will do more drills. He has got a knee bruise that is somewhat painful but hopefully he will be ready. We are aiming for this week but it might be the next game. LB Raonall Smith has the shoulder that is fairly painful. It’s not anything serious, more of a contusion that shouldn’t keep him out this week. That is where we are at, nothing too serious but I think Dominique is the only change. Overall I thought it was a solid performance, great to get a win. It wasn’t a perfect game by any means when it comes to what you are looking for. I thought there were a lot more positives than negatives in this game. It gives us a good starting point as to where we want to be in the next three, prior to the opener.”

(On Jonathan Wade’s injury)

“He got kind of shaken up, bellrung. He was cleared actually game time, five, 10 minutes after he came out. He felt fine afterwards and showed no ill effects from it. He had a really nice play on the reverse tackle in the open field. He actually got a knee to the side of the neck.”

(On QB Ryan Fitzpatrick)

“He didn’t show up on the injury report. He mostly got the wind knocked out of him. He has a little bit of discomfort on the chest.”

(On LB Quinton Culberson)

“He is one of the many bright spots with the young players. I think what we have seen through camp and now in his first preseason game, the guy just shows up. He always seems to be around the ball. He had a great open-field play, a pass break-up. A legitimate NFL play when he broke up that pass and then showed up on some plays on defense, starts getting tackles. He really had a really good game in special teams. He is continuing to impress.”

(On LB Jon Alston)

“He is running around, 100 miles per hour, like he can because he has got that ability. Now that he is playing fast, which is different from a year ago, he is analyzing things. He is getting to the ball and getting around the ball. We have got to get him consistently getting the guy down. He will make a really nice open-field tackle like he did on the scramble. He got the guy down, and then he missed the check down out of the back field on the guy where he was able to make that play. But he has shown a lot of progress too. He is another guy along with Quinton who really have flash and show things on defense but they continue to impress on special teams.”

(On Dominique Thompson’s chances after injury)

“I think it is a set back for him for the next couple of weeks. He has just got to get himself back on the field as soon as he can and when he is cleared get back out there. I think it is going to give guys opportunities but it doesn’t dispel our feelings in him being a guy that going to be competing for that spot. He has done enough at this point where we feel really good about him if he were to be in that spot that he is competing for, that he would do a nice job. That is the unfortunate part about having one of these at this time in the camp. It doesn’t get him on the field but there is nothing you can do about it. You’ve just got to make the best of it”

(On the interception that was returned for a touchdown for the Vikings)

“Two bad plays happened there. We had a hot situation where we needed to break off a tight end and we didn’t. Then we had a situation where if that happens, we need to not throw the ball in that spot for obvious reasons. It was just poor execution of a blitz. We take pride in handling and it cost us points going our direction and gave them seven points. We can’t have that, that can’t happen.”

(On how many times Minnesota blitzed)

“A fair amount. I think it is the norm in preseason to get a number of blitzing downs. It wasn’t out of the ordinary.”

(On DT Claude Wroten)

“He played the most in the front. I think he showed he is a much improved player from a year ago. His minuses came in the run game. We graded pretty tough on those young players all across the board. Last year I don’t think Claude would have graded as high as he graded this game. He always shows up in the pass. He has a great get-off. He is a penetrating defensive tackle. Where he needs to continue to improve and has improved is playing the run. I think it was a good start for him yesterday.”

(On Wroten getting more snaps to spell DT La’Roi Glover)

“I think it is a great role for him. I have no reason to believe that it is going to not work.”

(On the top three draft picks, DT Adam Carriker, RB Brian Leonard, CB Jonathan Wade)

“The top three were highlights for me personally in evaluating our team. Adam did a tremendous job in there playing his first game live, where he had to play an interior position against a couple of Pro Bowl offensive linemen and he really held his own. I thought he did a great job. He actually graded out higher as a nose than he did as a three technique, which you might think differently. I thought he did a great job. You see what Brian brings to the table, a lot of versatility. I think he is a guy that shows that he can go in, in situations no matter if it is first down, third down, short yardage, goal-line, special teams and be a heck of a player for us. Jonathan Wade is the guy who, until he came out of the game, he really showed up. On the first play of the game on the kickoff team, he went down there and made a real sure tackle. He made a great tackle on a third down when they ran a crossing route, brought the guy down for a great play. On the play where he got hit and came out, he made a great open field tackle on a reverse. Those were the things that maybe there were some questions on - how sure of a tackler he would be. We knew he could run. I thought he really showed up as well. We were really pleased with a lot of the young guys, especially the first day draft picks.”

(On Leonard having great natural instincts)

“That is the first thing you notice as a runner. He has great instincts. He sees the hole and gets it done a different way than Steven Jackson or guys like that, but that’s not unusual. He is a guy who understands how to utilize what he does best, which is his great vision and running downhill. He makes a decision and he very really takes a loss of yards. He usually finishes runs with a couple extra (yards) and that is the sign of a really good back.”

(On the first team offense’s performance)

“I thought they played fine. I would have liked not to have the turnover at the end. They were very methodical and efficient and I felt we were going to go down and get a score on that second series. On the first series we were short on one third down and that was more a of a technique error than anything. There were a lot of good things in it other than not scoring. You would like to score every time you have the ball, but until the last turnover, I felt we were accomplishing a lot of things we would have to do against a defense like that. When we played them at the end of the season we got a lot of eight man fronts. We got a lot of good looks. The two good looks we got to throw the ball, we executed throws downfield. I think Torry (Holt) caught those two and the other ones the balls should be dropped down to the underneath zones and wait for them to come up before you start going downfield. Actually, Marc (Bulger) didn’t see the linebacker and it was a great play by him on that particular play, because he was scrambling and it kind of blocked his vision. It was an error we’d like not to have. I don’t like the turnovers we had on offense. One was the end of the half play. The other one was unfortunate, because we were in scoring position. The one was really a bad play, which we can’t have either.”

(On the second offensive line)

“That second offensive line has shown we have a lot better depth in our front. I thought they blocked very well. That was a very good couple series they had in the second quarter and showed that we can be physical with our offensive line, because of our bulk and size. We had a good mixture of guys that maybe fit in between some of these big guys, but we are a lot bigger and more physical up front.”

(On reading into the fact that Brett Romberg was the starter and not Andy McCollum)

“Not until after they started two games. We will start McCollum in this (next) game and do the rotation we did in this game. Based on Brett finishing the year as the starting center and Andy coming back off injury and not knowing where he was going to be, we decided that going into training camp. I think as we get into the preseason, especially after this game, I think there will be a clearer picture as to who is leading.”

(On the secondary)

“I thought they did very well. There were a couple of plays where Ronnie (CB Ron Bartell) could have been tighter in coverage and got the guy down. We have to work on some of our off coverage and open-field tackling. We missed a couple of opportunities to limit their gains. I like how Ronnie responded in the second quarter and made a couple of really nice plays and a nice tackle. He’s one of those guys who needs to continue to work. He is very comfortable when he is up in ‘bump and run,’ and when he is off he needs to be able to get guys down. I was really happy for the most part with their play and I thought the safeties played particularly well.”

(On if changing practice from outdoor to indoor creates havoc)

“It doesn’t create any problems because we practice here and have the opportunity to go indoors and everything is here. That’s the only problem with being somewhere else; not having the ability to get out of the heat, then it would become a problem. If we had to modify everything and do everything at night, we could not have the schedule that we have. We can maintain our schedule now and still give the players the time in between practices and not really have to adjust our schedule itself, because we have the ability to go indoors if it gets too hot.”

(On the special teams)

“We had a couple of pre-kick penalties. We had a couple of off sides, which we can’t have. I think we moved on that one field goal, but we overcame it. I am really happy with our coverage teams for the most part. Both kickers kicked very well. Donnie (Jones) had a very good game. (Kevin) Lovell did his job and actually kicked very well. I thought our coverage was good. I thought our return game showed that it is something that we really worked on that is going to be an improvement from where we were before. Minus Dante Hall, to have these young players find a couple of cracks in some returns, there was a lot of promise there and I was happy with the first start.”

(On WR Derek Stanley being a surprise)

“I don’t know if it was surprise. I think we have always felt that he has that ability. I think that the game not seeming too big for him was encouraging and he did a nice job of coming in and doing some returning and making some plays as a receiver. It was a heck of a heads up play on that one play. A lot of rookies would have just stopped right there and not kept playing. He just kept playing and it ended up being a completed pass. I wish they wouldn’t have blown it dead. That would have been a great touchdown to put in the books. He showed me something.”

(On that questionable play)

“My feeling initially was that the ball came up awful funny. It seemed like it might have bounced off of somebody or somebody’s hand. We were looking at the review. The officials were adamant that it hit the ground. There was a little doubt in my mind. I didn’t see it. I only saw how the ball came up. We got a pretty good look at the review, right before we were going to snap the ball. I had to get through five or six things in my pocket to find my red flag. That will never happen again. I think I threw everything. I’m surprised I didn’t rip my pants off. I don’t know if they have me on film on that one. I’d like to burn that copy. It was pretty embarrassing.”

(On what was in his pocket)

“You know, I had my wallet, my cell phone… actually had my pocket buttoned, because before the half, they said don’t throw the flag, so I buttoned it to make sure I didn’t throw the challenge flag. Usually, (Equipment Manager) Todd (Hewitt) takes it out, so I had it buttoned and didn’t unbutton it. The flag is usually out so you can grab it, but the flag had been tucked in and I didn’t check it. I need to make it part of my check list to make sure my flag isn’t tucked in too deep. It was a great situation and a really unique challenge. I’m not how many times you will see that. That is as close as they come on a big play.”

(On the differences between winning this year’s preseason opener versus last year’s)

“There are a lot of differences. It is a different year. It is just good to get any win and starting off with a win was the objective as well as evaluating our team. This is a new year and there is a whole different type of evaluation involved this particular season.”

(On the ruling involved in the questionable play)

“It is similar to the down-by-contact (rule). If the guy is down by contact they blow the whistle dead, but you could have returned it for a touchdown. They changed that rule now so you get the ball, but you don’t get the return. Once they call a play dead, its dead at the spot.”

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Lineahan on the Mic

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    (On that questionable play)

“My feeling initially was that the ball came up awful funny. It seemed like it might have bounced off of somebody or somebody’s hand. We were looking at the review. The officials were adamant that it hit the ground. There was a little doubt in my mind. I didn’t see it. I only saw how the ball came up. We got a pretty good look at the review, right before we were going to snap the ball. I had to get through five or six things in my pocket to find my red flag. That will never happen again. I think I threw everything. I’m surprised I didn’t rip my pants off. I don’t know if they have me on film on that one. I’d like to burn that copy. It was pretty embarrassing.”

(On what was in his pocket)

“You know, I had my wallet, my cell phone… actually had my pocket buttoned, because before the half, they said don’t throw the flag, so I buttoned it to make sure I didn’t throw the challenge flag. Usually, (Equipment Manager) Todd (Hewitt) takes it out, so I had it buttoned and didn’t unbutton it. The flag is usually out so you can grab it, but the flag had been tucked in and I didn’t check it. I need to make it part of my check list to make sure my flag isn’t tucked in too deep. It was a great situation and a really unique challenge. I’m not how many times you will see that. That is as close as they come on a big play.”
    LOL I was wondering what they were all laughing about on the sideline when he finally threw the flag.