Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linebackers!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Linebackers!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Can anyone remember when Jeff Fisher ran the defense a long time ago? lack of depth and injuries caused him to cobble together the EAGLE defensive scheme, 2 DT and 5 LBs--cute, but marginally affective.

Point is your Line backers are useless with out a strong Frontline D. I played left DT, got my share of plays

but the glory belongs to the LBs--a good defensive front, holds the lanes and pressures the QB allowing LBs to make the plays. Have 2 solid DTs & a NG, the 3-4 is a thing of beauty--power, speed, re-action, and a freeir hand to a variety of secondary coverages. WHY nearly every NFL team if they have the talant wants to run the 3-4.

Sadly, might as well suitup the cheerleaders and put them in the line the way the Rams front is playing--would be the same result
    And yet the Rams defensive linemen are in many cases making more tackles than the linebackers. This time, our top four tacklers were WW, Long, Carriker, and Tye Hill (never a good sign when your corner is near the top of the list). James Hall was near the top of the list both weeks before. Seems to me that our linemen are about the only guys on the D making any plays at all.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    And yet the Rams defensive linemen are in many cases making more tackles than the linebackers. This time, our top four tacklers were WW, Long, Carriker, and Tye Hill (never a good sign when your corner is near the top of the list). James Hall was near the top of the list both weeks before. Seems to me that our linemen are about the only guys on the D making any plays at all.
    Even a blind dog can find his food dish every now and then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Defensive line players are throw backs to caveman days. Uuk, Iick, Thunk and Thud make great names for Defensive tackles and Nose Guards...granted no self respecting parent would name their kid, Uuk, Ick or etc, but there is one common factor that links Defensive line with their cavemen breathern...being just plain MEAN...throw in fearless but concentrate on MEAN and you can't go wrong.

Where was this meaness in the previous 2 games? When I played, I sought to destroy the opponents QB at every opportunity--or anyone not wearing the same uniform, even if they didn't have the ball or not at times.

That is the spirit the Rams defensive line ought to have--hate your opponent. EVERY GAME, not just one or 2 games. Its that killer instinct the Rams front don't have

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ben56 View Post
    Anthony Schlegel is still available and Abdul Hodge is on someones practice squad. The Rams could get either or both and improve the LB corps immediatly.
    I find that hard to believe given the fact that they're available. Schlegel hasn't done anything since entering the league, and Hodge is limited with knee problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    and why they let Brian Chillar go when he was obviously better than Draft and his replacement.
    Chillar was a solid two-down player who could have been kept, but it's worth noting that he's not even a starter in Green Bay right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    As much as I like Pisa and know that he is a warrior, he is only a shell of himself and should not be out there; but that's how thin we are at LB.
    I tend to agree. I love Pisa's heart and fire, but he's just not bringing it on the field. I'm one of the few who thinks Witherspoon is a fine MLB when the blockers are kept off of him, but I can't help but wonder if we'd be better off shifting him to WLB and replacing him with a real thumper inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    We have so many needs we need to address next year in the draft and the free agency.

We better nail it next season.
    Let's be realistic. It's going to take more than one offseason to fix this team.

Now I don't follow USC as much...but I THINK he is a MLB right...?
    Some are saying he could be a better pro than Seattle's Lofa Tatupu.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Nick, if we play like crap all year long, wouldn't that entitle us to draft Rey from USC? I mean, we obviously need some tackling to take place on our defense. Why not him??

Wouldn't this be another wise step to rebuilding this team? Culberson is a good player and so is Witherspoon. Pisa is lacking a bit....so whey not have Rey replace him?

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

If we still have the same coaching staff, the draft will be a disaster.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGirlRamsFan View Post
    If we still have the same coaching staff, the draft will be a disaster.
    Now now, I wouldnt go that far. Long has been impressive. Avery has been good. Burton has shown signs of life.

King got injured. I don't know why Greco isn't starting.

If you ask me, we did good this year. And if Devaney stays, I say we have teh same results next year. Maybe even better if Faulk comes in and has something to say.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

For the record, I am all for the Maulauga pick up. Him and Spoon on the field together will be nice regardless of who you call MIKE, SAM, or WILL. However, I would love to see.....

....some actual rationale to the "Spoon is not a MLB" platitude.

I'll wait.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    For the record, I am all for the Maulauga pick up. Him and Spoon on the field together will be nice regardless of who you call MIKE, SAM, or WILL. However, I would love to see.....

....some actual rationale to the "Spoon is not a MLB" platitude.

I'll wait.
    Where's that dead horse when we need him?

Nick, if we play like crap all year long, wouldn't that entitle us to draft Rey from USC? I mean, we obviously need some tackling to take place on our defense. Why not him??
    It depends on where we pick. For instance, the value is not there to take a linebacker with the first pick, if that's what we end up having.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It depends on where we pick. For instance, the value is not there to take a linebacker with the first pick, if that's what we end up having.

If I had to guess, I'm going to go in the top 3!!!

Ben56 is offline Registered User

I find that hard to believe given the fact that they're available. Schlegel hasn't done anything since entering the league, and Hodge is limited with knee problems.

Chillar was a solid two-down player who could have been kept, but it's worth noting that he's not even a starter in Green Bay right now.

I tend to agree. I love Pisa's heart and fire, but he's just not bringing it on the field. I'm one of the few who thinks Witherspoon is a fine MLB when the blockers are kept off of him, but I can't help but wonder if we'd be better off shifting him to WLB and replacing him with a real thumper inside.

Let's be realistic. It's going to take more than one offseason to fix this team.

Some are saying he could be a better pro than Seattle's Lofa Tatupu.
    Here's how picking up Schlegel makes the D immediatly better. On run downs that puts Schlegel, Spoon and Tin on the field at the same time. Schlegel put up some decent numbers in Cincy (I believe he had some injuries there) and was replaced when starters got healthy. New DC and new LB coach meant he was cut. On passing downs Schlegel comes off and you leave Spoon and Tin on the field. We got a safety wearing the radio helmet anyway. Schlegel is good against the run, fills holes, and effectively takes on blockers. Sounds good to me.

Chillar may not be starting but he got equal or more snaps than Poppinga last night. He would be an improvement over Culberson/ Draft.

Your statement that Spoon is good when blockers are kept off of him is the exact reason he isnt suited for MLB. He struggles to shed blockers and isnt particularly effective at taking on lead blockers. Put him weakside and let him run to make plays. It would also be easier for him to blitz from the outside.

Of course its going to take more than one off season to fix what's wrong with the Rams, but adding some linebackers (what have the Rams got to lose) might make the team on the field this year better.

If the Rams cant stop the run they will always be playing from behind which will limit the Rams ability to establish the run and make the best use of Steven Jackson.

Its a quick fix that might make this year less horrible.

Sounds good to me.
    But not to anyone else, as Schlegel hasn't gotten so much as a sniff since being released in May. Thanks but no thanks.

Chillar may not be starting but he got equal or more snaps than Poppinga last night. He would be an improvement over Culberson/ Draft.
    A new thread was started regarding Chillar, so my comments on him are there.

Your statement that Spoon is good when blockers are kept off of him is the exact reason he isnt suited for MLB.
    Yet Witherspoon has had career years in his first two years with the Rams as a MLB.

Like all talented players, Witherspoon is going to need some help if he's going to have success. That means keeping blockers off of him so he can move around and make plays. Even bigger more physical MIKE linebackers need help in this area.

Of course its going to take more than one off season to fix what's wrong with the Rams, but adding some linebackers (what have the Rams got to lose) might make the team on the field this year better.
    I don't believe adding the ones you've named will.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

At this point, i think Jamie Duncan would help this group...

Ben56 is offline Registered User

But not to anyone else, as Schlegel hasn't gotten so much as a sniff since being released in May. Thanks but no thanks.

A new thread was started regarding Chillar, so my comments on him are there.

Yet Witherspoon has had career years in his first two years with the Rams as a MLB.

Like all talented players, Witherspoon is going to need some help if he's going to have success. That means keeping blockers off of him so he can move around and make plays. Even bigger more physical MIKE linebackers need help in this area.

I don't believe adding the ones you've named will.
    Could it hurt to add another LB. I mean honestly could it get worst than giving up 200 yds per on the ground? The LBs are not making plays. At this point I'm willing to try anybody.

Mikes Witherspoons size will always struggle with runs that come right at them. Vilma and others do. Move him to WLB and get someone else in there at the Mike. BTW. In terms of numbers of tackles, LBs who play on bad D's always get tons of tackles. Tim McGarigle set a record for most tackles in a season his senior year, but his teams defense was dead last against the run. Tackles numbers dont add up to plays made.

Having said that there is no doubt that Witherspoon is the teams best LB and the best playmaker in the front seven on D. I still think there is a net gain to be made by bringing someone else in to play the middle and moving Spoon outside.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast