Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Linehan according to gordo, please post

Can someone will advanced techno skills please post gordos column currently on the post dispatch site regarding his pick of linehan. it is INCREDIBLY impressive and convincing. I strongly encourage everyone to read it and let us know what you think. The guy clearly knows his offense and he is definetely an up and coming leader in all facets of the game.

read it and sound off. Come on shaw, pull the tigger!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Linehan according to gordo, please post

Linehan stands out among the three finalists
    BY JEFF GORDON
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    Monday, Jan. 16 2006

With Rams president John Shaw hoping to nail down his head-coaching hire this
    week, it’s time for everybody to pick a favorite.

Do you want Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera? He grew into that
    responsibility under head coach Lovie Smith, who earned much respect in these
    parts for his work as Rams defensive coordinator.

Do you want Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron? He has head coaching
    experience, at Indiana University, and the endorsement of Trent Green -– who
    matured during Cameron’s run as Redskins quarterbacks coach.

Or do you want Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, apparently the
    frontrunner as Shaw and Jay Zygmunt make their final round of evaluations.

In this corner of cyberspace, we’ll pick Door No. 3 -– because Linehan seems to
    have many of Mike Martz’s positive traits.

And say what you want about Mad Mike, but the football was never dull on his
    watch.

Here is what we know about Linehan:

* Although he worked just one season under Dolphins coach Nick Saban, he
    learned much about building an organization and instilling discipline in a
    football operation. Saban is uncompromising.

It was no coincidence that the Dolphins won their final six games this season.
    It took awhile, but the team finally embraced Saban’s program.

When he visited Houston to interview for the Texans head coaching job, Linehan
    said the Dolphins coaching staff worked to improve the “culture and attitude of
    the team.”

The ’05 Texans had some of the same traits of the ’04 Dolphins after struggling
    through a nightmarish season. “Those are some of the things that are going to
    have to be addressed here and hopefully those would be some of the lessons I've
    been able to learn and maybe draw upon for this franchise,” Linehan said during
    his Texas visit.

The Rams need to address their “culture and attitude” after crumbling in Martz’
    s absence this season. Sloppiness pervaded every aspect of the operation.

* During the Dolphins turnaround, Linehan came down from the coaching box and
    coordinated the offense from the sideline. He became a hands-on leader. This
    gave him a valuable taste of sideline leadership.

Martz’s critics wondered if Mike ever made the full adjustment from
    play-calling in the booth to managing a team and game on the sidelines.

“How much it impacted us for the season, I don't know,” Linehan said. “I think
    sometimes more is made out of things like that than probably should be. But I
    think it was a good move. We were able to get on the same page more in what we
    were doing. The (other Dolphins assistant) coaches that moved up into the booth
    were excellent in those roles and enabled me to do that. We, as an offense,
    jelled and were able to kind of put together our personality and finish it up
    the right way.”

* As offensive coordinator of the Vikings, he had big weapons with quarterback
    Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss. And he made the most of them with aggressive
    play-calling; the Vikings offense ranked second, first and fourth in the NFL
    during Linehan’s three seasons there.

With Linehan as head coach, Rams Nation would not have to fret about its team
    becoming dull. Fans in Minnesota and Miami whined that Linehan was TOO daring
    -– taking too many shots downfield in the passing game, getting too creative in
    the red zone, calling too many trick plays, abandoning the run.

Given the resources he would have here, we’ll take those complaints as
    endorsements. It seems unlikely that he would hire a timid offensive
    coordinator when he becomes a head coach.

* By all accounts, Linehan is a rising star in the business. The Dolphins gave
    him a three-year, $2.55 million contract as offensive coordinator -– tripling
    the salary he made in Minnesota. In fact, Linehan made $100,000 more in the
    first year of that deal than Vikings head coach Mike Tice made the previous
    season.

The Dolphins did that because many teams sought Linehan once his Minnesota
    contract expired.

Tice offered a strong recommendation on Linehan. “He will be a head coach at
    some level, college or pro; that's up to him,” he said.

Linehan has no head coaching experience. But he apparently impressed Shaw with
    his vision of how to build an organization, coaching staff and team.

If he hired the right defensive and offensive coordinators -– and if he got the
    proper support from Shaw and Zygmunt -– Linehan could be an excellent hire.

Perhaps the “Greatest Show of Turf” could be rebuilt for a second run.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

This one GC?

Linehan stands out among the three finalists

BY JEFF GORDON
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    01/16/2006

With Rams president John Shaw hoping to nail down his head-coaching hire this week, it’s time for everybody to pick a favorite.

Do you want Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera? He grew into that responsibility under head coach Lovie Smith, who earned much respect in these parts for his work as Rams defensive coordinator.

Do you want Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron? He has head coaching experience, at Indiana University, and the endorsement of Trent Green -– who matured during Cameron’s run as Redskins quarterbacks coach.

Or do you want Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, apparently the frontrunner as Shaw and Jay Zygmunt make their final round of evaluations.

In this corner of cyberspace, we’ll pick Door No. 3 -– because Linehan seems to have many of Mike Martz’s positive traits.

And say what you want about Mad Mike, but the football was never dull on his watch.

Here is what we know about Linehan:

* Although he worked just one season under Dolphins coach Nick Saban, he learned much about building an organization and instilling discipline in a football operation. Saban is uncompromising.

It was no coincidence that the Dolphins won their final six games this season. It took awhile, but the team finally embraced Saban’s program.

When he visited Houston to interview for the Texans head coaching job, Linehan said the Dolphins coaching staff worked to improve the “culture and attitude of the team.”

The ’05 Texans had some of the same traits of the ’04 Dolphins after struggling through a nightmarish season. “Those are some of the things that are going to have to be addressed here and hopefully those would be some of the lessons I've been able to learn and maybe draw upon for this franchise,” Linehan said during his Texas visit.

The Rams need to address their “culture and attitude” after crumbling in Martz’s absence this season. Sloppiness pervaded every aspect of the operation.

* During the Dolphins turnaround, Linehan came down from the coaching box and coordinated the offense from the sideline. He became a hands-on leader. This gave him a valuable taste of sideline leadership.

Martz’s critics wondered if Mike ever made the full adjustment from play-calling in the booth to managing a team and game on the sidelines.

“How much it impacted us for the season, I don't know,” Linehan said. “I think sometimes more is made out of things like that than probably should be. But I think it was a good move. We were able to get on the same page more in what we were doing. The (other Dolphins assistant) coaches that moved up into the booth were excellent in those roles and enabled me to do that. We, as an offense, jelled and were able to kind of put together our personality and finish it up the right way.”

* As offensive coordinator of the Vikings, he had big weapons with quarterback Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss. And he made the most of them with aggressive play-calling; the Vikings offense ranked second, first and fourth in the NFL during Linehan’s three seasons there.

With Linehan as head coach, Rams Nation would not have to fret about its team becoming dull. Fans in Minnesota and Miami whined that Linehan was TOO daring -– taking too many shots downfield in the passing game, getting too creative in the red zone, calling too many trick plays, abandoning the run.

Given the resources he would have here, we’ll take those complaints as endorsements. It seems unlikely that he would hire a timid offensive coordinator when he becomes a head coach.

* By all accounts, Linehan is a rising star in the business. The Dolphins gave him a three-year, $2.55 million contract as offensive coordinator -– tripling the salary he made in Minnesota. In fact, Linehan made $100,000 more in the first year of that deal than Vikings head coach Mike Tice made the previous season.

The Dolphins did that because many teams sought Linehan once his Minnesota contract expired.

Tice offered a strong recommendation on Linehan. “He will be a head coach at some level, college or pro; that's up to him,” he said.

Linehan has no head coaching experience. But he apparently impressed Shaw with his vision of how to build an organization, coaching staff and team.

If he hired the right defensive and offensive coordinators -– and if he got the proper support from Shaw and Zygmunt -– Linehan could be an excellent hire.

Perhaps the “Greatest Show of Turf” could be rebuilt for a second run.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Read it twice everyone it's that good LOL
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

With Linehan as head coach, Rams Nation would not have to fret about its team
    becoming dull. Fans in Minnesota and Miami whined that Linehan was TOO daring
    -– taking too many shots downfield in the passing game, getting too creative in
    the red zone, calling too many trick plays, abandoning the run.
    Thats my only worry. I've had enough of abandoning the running game. I've had enough of this attacking passing game. For just one season, I want an attacking running game. I want Steven Jackson to have a 30 carry game. I want to see this team control the tempo. Come out with guns blazing, but slide into a running attack to milk time and keep the lead. Thats what I want to see from this offense.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

general counsel is offline Registered User

terrific article, thanks for posting guys. Its great to have friends whose technological skills exceed those of bill gates.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

chiguy is offline Registered User

Sloppiness pervaded every aspect of the operation.
    Wow, that one sentence just about sums up all of my frustration with Mike Martz.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

He did have Ricky Williams in Miami, so he should be able to use our boy SJ effectively. Similar style RB's.

It could turn out to be a bad idea if we just get "Martz 2" in Linehan, but as long as he builds that "culture and atittude", hopefully we will get the discipline of blocking and tackling back.

Again, I'm hoping the Saban/Belichik connection translates down to Linehan.

majorram is offline Registered User

great read, interesting, I think we know who will be the next coach of the Rams and that will be Linehan....

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy
    Wow, that one sentence just about sums up all of my frustration with Mike Martz.
    you should not quote out of context.

The Rams need to address their “culture and attitude” after crumbling in Martz’
    s absence this season. Sloppiness pervaded every aspect of the operation.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Of the candidates, I am most impressed with Linehan.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    Thats my only worry. I've had enough of abandoning the running game. I've had enough of this attacking passing game. For just one season, I want an attacking running game. I want Steven Jackson to have a 30 carry game. I want to see this team control the tempo. Come out with guns blazing, but slide into a running attack to milk time and keep the lead. Thats what I want to see from this offense.
    First it is run, run, run. Then it's come out with guns blazing and milk the game with the run.

So, which is it? To me, it doesn't sound like you really know what you want. Thank God you won't be the coach.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

I read this last night, and it warmed me to the idea of Linehan. It looks like he is the choice anyway. I just hope that he gets a lights out DC that will stay with us over the long haul.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I like the idea of Linehan as HC that way the offence wont be discarded like it would with a defensive HC now all we need is the right DC to rebuild the D and lets get the ST special again

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Of the candidates, I am most impressed with Linehan.

First it is run, run, run. Then it's come out with guns blazing and milk the game with the run.

So, which is it? To me, it doesn't sound like you really know what you want. Thank God you won't be the coach.

My statement may have been hard to understand. The answer to your question is this. My preferred gameplan is to come out the first few drives passing the football. Try to take a few shots downfield, and mix in a few draws. Then, as the first quarter wears on, slide more into a running game. With our offensive talent, we should be able to gain a lead early in the game and just milk the clock for the remaining part of the game. The offense that we have seen the past few years has followed an ovbious trend.

Run
    Pass
    Pass
    Punt

or

Pass
    Run
    Pass
    Punt

I dont want to see an offensive gameplan like that ever again.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

supachump is offline Registered User

I love those exciting "milk the clock" games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast