Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linehan bashing

Rambos is offline Registered User

Linehan bashing

I have been reading some takes lately that Linehan does not have a clue. He only signs players he has coached in the past. Which is a common practice in the NFL coaching ranks; look at the Lions Mike Martz and his love affair with his old players, Furry, Harris and McDonald, to name a few.

We hired Tony Softli from the Panther, and we have Draft and Spoon on our team. Itís not just Linehan, itís a recurring theme, and players themselves want to have the comfort of knowing what their roll and work environment will be like for the next few years prior to signing with a team.

Not sure why Linehan is getting ripped for acquiring players he feels comfortable with. Guys like Randy McMichael and now Owens. As far as Randy goes, is there anyone that does not feel he is a big upgrade over what we had on the roster? Randy McMichael is he because Linehan is here.

When Linehan hired friend ďcoachĒ Al Roberts he once again was ripped for hiring someone from his past. As it turns out our ST are the best thing we have going after one game. Yeah itís only one game. But one game is all many fans these days need to predict this yearís outcome.

Iíve been in manage for years, from my experience the first thing you do when coming into a new organization with issues, is to identify leaders among the staff retain them and look at your network to bring in people that you have worked with in the past. You donít hire someone because you can; you hire them because you know they can get the job done.

The first thing I read from some fans when we lost big O was, I wonder if
    Adam Timmerman can come in and help. Hmmm sounds like something Linehan would get ripped for saying.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan bashing

I, for one, cannot understand the negativity after just one game. All the negativity on the board makes it difficult for me to come here and enjoy reading the posts ...

I am a football fan. Not a coach, not a player (anymore). I have no reason to doubt the moves that these coaches make. I might have some gripes, but it'll take many many more losses before I just all riled up about it.

I am personally more concerned with getting excited about playing the ***** this weekend. I cannot believe all the negativity when a big rival is coming in ...

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I too feel we need to move on to next week. Week 1 don't mean squat. Let's beat the whiners like M.V. beat his dogs. Let's get this ball rolling in the over position. Squashing everything in sight!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think the perception is based, to a large degree, on a number of moves that many fans viewed as "head scratchers," including:

• Signing Will Witherspoon and then making him a MLB.
    • Talking about using 3-4 formations, then never doing it.
    • Hiring of "friends" of the coach.
    • Spending bulk of free agent money on a WR and TE.
    • Drafting a RB/FB in the second round with bigger needs on defense.
    • Trading for players with injury history (J.Hall, D.Hall) while failing to pull the trigger on others (K.Jenkins, S.Rice).
    • Unexpected cuts (J.Alston, M.Hedgecock) in favor of retaining unproductive players (D.Byrd).
    Some of these criticisms are valid, some are not, some are mere hindsight, but they all add to the perception of a first time head coach with a big question mark on his forehead.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    I, for one, cannot understand the negativity after just one game. All the negativity on the board makes it difficult for me to come here and enjoy reading the posts ...

I am a football fan. Not a coach, not a player (anymore). I have no reason to doubt the moves that these coaches make. I might have some gripes, but it'll take many many more losses before I just all riled up about it.

I am personally more concerned with getting excited about playing the ***** this weekend. I cannot believe all the negativity when a big rival is coming in ...
    you can't understand the negativity ,did you watch the game ? with all due respect if we did our jobs that poorly we would be pounding the pavement looking for work this week.I think theres more reason to gripe now than in the middle of the season, this team said don't worry we are ready to go,they should be as excited as we are about the first game and should preform as such,now if there is a letdown in the middle of the season that I can understand,its a long season and that will happen but not the first game.This is a hugh game on Sunday for more reasons than a win.this team needs to let everyone know that last week was just a bad week and this team is still together and will win the next 15 games.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Well if it don't change , He's gonna have an "L" on his forehead!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Some of these criticisms are valid, some are not, some are mere hindsight, but they all add to the perception of a first time head coach with a big question mark on his forehead.
    This is how I view some of the issues that add up to Linehan looking as if heís clueless. I may be naive or overly positive, but I just donít think the new Rams staff is clueless. One year one game is just not enough time. By the end of the year, it should be clear if we are going backwards.

If we donít make the playoff this year, next year he will be on the hot seat.

Signing Will Witherspoon and then making him a MLB.
    IMO that is not the "head scratcher," Can you tell me why we let London get out of town in the first place? It would be sweet if we had Spoon on the outside and London in the middle. Maybe in the third year of rebuilding this neglected defense we can get a bigger MLB, but until then heís the best we have. Heck one of those first round picks used on three DT that are not here could have been that bigger MLB.

Talking about using 3-4 formations, then never doing it.
    That would be nice but we are away from that with our personnel. No fault of the new staff.
    That would be nice but we do not have the personnel. No fault of the new staff.

Hiring of "friends" of the coach.
    Did we not have a great first week of ST. Again its not hiring a "friend" to fill a job. The question is can he fire him IF he does not get it done. MM sure could hire them but he could not fire them.

Spending bulk of free agent money on a WR and TE.
    We lost two WR in Curtis and McDonald and Bruce is not getting any younger, not a bad move. We have not had a TE in years, as Martz did not use one. All we had was two young guys.

Drafting a RB/FB in the second round with bigger needs on defense.
    This has been debated to death, still only time will tellÖIím not sure itís as bad as the Trung pick, only time will tell.

Trading for players with injury history (J.Hall, D.Hall) while failing to pull the trigger on others (K.Jenkins, S.Rice).
    This comes down to value and or risk for reward, for a 5th for both these guys Hall and Hall. Vs Rice three million and fat boys big contract, that would be a big "head scratcher," if one of those guys got hurt. D Hall has already paid off in the first game, looks well worth the 5th used on him.

Unexpected cuts (J.Alston, M.Hedgecock) in favor of retaining unproductive players (D.Byrd).
    Alston got beat out; maybe he should have not been drafted in the first place. Hedgecock, was a fan favorite. That one I will take the wait and see approach to see how Owens plays, I want to see what he brings to the table.

Itís only been One-year two off-seasons and one game. It just seems Linehan gets no credit even when some moves have paid off early, ST coach, D Hall, and AC at NT.

I have not seen one post saying we have finally found our ST coach. Keep up the good work coach.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-12-2007 at 03:23 PM.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I agree with Rambos on this one, for sure..

I think many fans in here over-estimated the health of the Rams when Linehan took over. The feeling that this team was just a couple of moves away from the Superbowl just wasn't true. Our O-Line was mediocre, our D-Line was total cr*p, our LB's were poor, ......our, oh hell, our entire defense was garbage. Our special teams play was embarassing, and most of our key offensive players were getting old.

You can't fix all of that in one or two years. There's simply not enough cap space to keep all your key guys like Bulger, Jackson, Holt and Bruce, and then sign your top draft picks AND fill all your other problem areas in one or two years. You need a year or two just to figure out who's staying and who's going from the group you inherited, then you need to go out and find and replace guys you can afford. ...and there just aren't that many great turnaround players just standing on the street corner waiting for the Rams to pick them up. It took years of bad drafts and bad management decisions (like letting L. Fletcher go) to get into the state we're in, so don't expect it to be fixed in one or two years.

Let's see how the year progresses a little further before we light the pitchforks.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    This is how I view some of the issues that add up to Linehan looking as if heís clueless. I may be naive or overly positive, but I just donít think the new Rams staff is clueless. One year one game is just not enough time. By the end of the year, it should be clear if we are going backwards.

If we donít make the playoff this year, next year he will be on the hot seat.

IMO that is not the "head scratcher," Can you tell me why we let London get out of town in the first place? It would be sweet if we had Spoon on the outside and London in the middle. Maybe in the third year of rebuilding this neglected defense we can get a bigger MLB, but until then heís the best we have. Heck one of those first round picks used on three DT that are not here could have been that bigger MLB.

That would be nice but we do not have the personnel. No fault of the new staff.

Did we not have a great first week of ST. Again its not hiring a "friend" to fill a job. The question is can he fire him IF he does not get it done. MM sure could hire them but he could not fire them.

We lost two WR in Curtis and McDonald and Bruce is not getting any younger, not a bad move. We have not had a TE in years, as Martz did not use one. All we had was two young guys.

This has been debated to death, still only time will tellÖIím not sure itís as bad as the Trung pick, only time will tell.

This comes down to value and or risk for reward, for a 5th for both these guys Hall and Hall. Vs Rice three million and fat boys big contract, that would be a big "head scratcher," if one of those guys got hurt. D Hall has already paid off in the first game, looks well worth the 5th used on him.

Alston got beat out; maybe he should have not been drafted in the first place. Hedgecock, was a fan favorite. That one I will take the wait and see approach to see how Owens plays, I want to see what he brings to the table.

Itís only been One-year two off-seasons and one game. It just seems Linehan gets no credit even when some moves have paid off early, ST coach, D Hall, and AC at NT.

I have not seen one post saying we have finally found our ST coach. Keep up the good work coach.
    Great post, I agree completely. Very good breakdown of the situation Rambos.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Second half adjustments. Make some!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think the perception is based, to a large degree, on a number of moves that many fans viewed as "head scratchers," including:

• Signing Will Witherspoon and then making him a MLB.
    • Talking about using 3-4 formations, then never doing it.
    • Hiring of "friends" of the coach.
    • Spending bulk of free agent money on a WR and TE.
    • Drafting a RB/FB in the second round with bigger needs on defense.
    • Trading for players with injury history (J.Hall, D.Hall) while failing to pull the trigger on others (K.Jenkins, S.Rice).
    • Unexpected cuts (J.Alston, M.Hedgecock) in favor of retaining unproductive players (D.Byrd).
    Also:
    • Drafting two tight ends on the first day of the draft last season when we needed defense.
    • Trading away the starting defensive end mid-season in 2006.
    • Trying to get by with Jimmy Kennedy at nose tackle.
    • Dedicating so much effort to acquire pass-catching tight ends and then not using them much in the 2006 season or the 2007 preseason.
    • Questionable gametime decisions.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Also:
    • Drafting two tight ends on the first day of the draft last season when we needed defense.
    • Dedicating so much effort to acquire pass-catching tight ends and then not using them much in the 2006 season or the 2007 preseason.
    Also:
    • Not playing SJ in pre-season. I don't care who you are SJ, LT, LJ Manning... you NEED to beat the rust off in the off-season
    • Allowing his players to get out of hand, off-field
    • Not being able to change a game-plan mid-game
    • Lack of leadership; HUGE
    • No answers for the fans, so why would we have any faith?

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

His game plan was too predictable on the offensive side of the ball. Spread the field man. We've got the best route runners in the league and that makes up for the lack of speed we once had. Bruce, Holt, McMicheal, Bennette, Looker and hagans. Once we learn how to fully utilize their skill it'll totally be a different story. Everyone in the league knows that SJ is special and if he's shut down like he was on sunday then we need to get creative in the passing game.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Also:
    You're kidding right? Trading Hargrove was bad? It was actually good considering he's now suspended this year for 4 games from the Bills, and was a distraction to our team.

So he tried Kennedy at NT, he also got a draft pick for him from the Broncos who cut him. He saw a problem and fixed it.

The TE thing you can't judge after one game we will see what happens with McMichael. Linehan even said the plan was to use him as a blocking TE and then when Pace went down it became even more important for him to block. Also it was clear last year that Klop wasn't entirely ready to be a complete TE, so did you ever think that's why Linehan didn't use him much.

You're really reaching for things to pile on Linehan about. Sure he's made some mistakes, some of the playcalling has been horrible, but he's also done some good things like I stated.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Second half adjustments. Make some!

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

As far as the week one game goes, im starting to wonder if its as simple as Linehan, Olsen and Bulger just being on different pages offensively. To me Scott is clearly pursing large players who can stay back and protect Marc in the pocket but can also be called upon for some short yardage packages on passing plays. Not a bad strategy considering the current dreadful condition of our offensive line. Hence the trade of Owens who is actually larger than Hedgecock and is also known for being the superior receiver. Olsen on the other hand clearly doesn't seem to know how to utilize such weapons, demonstrated by his complete lack of involving any of our tight ends until the final quarter of last weeks game. He clearly needs to learn how to spread out the opponents defenses and execute a much less predictable game plan. Also the release of Alston was probably more Hasslets decision than Linehans. Yes I know that Scott has a say, but the point that i'm trying to make is that all of these coaches have been involved in these decisions that everyone seems to already be labeling disastrous. (So regardless to say, theres plenty of blame to go around.) Our seasons not over yet, all these moves made by Linehand and company still need a few more weeks to play out until we can truly pass judgment on how really bad or good they are. Only time will tell. Heres hoping.
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -09-12-2007 at 07:01 PM.

Also:
    ∑ It was too hot at camp
    ∑ They got our pants wrong in Madden 08 (White)
    ∑ He cut Denzel Washington son
    ∑ He cut Bruce only to bring him back at a cap friendly rate
    ∑ The beer at the stadium was not cold enough
    ∑ Gas prices are out of control

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast