RamWraith is offline Registered User

Linehan, Bulger spar over key interception

By Bill Coats
    09/26/2007 6:06 pm

An interesting give-and-take is taking place between coach Scott Linehan and quarterback Marc Bulger over what arguably was the most crucial play Sunday in the Rams’ 24-3 loss at Tampa Bay – a third-quarter interception in the end zone thrown by Bulger. The Rams trailed only 10-0 at the time.

On first and goal from the Bucs 10-yard line, Bulger checked out of a running play into a pass for Drew Bennett, a 6-5 wide receiver. Bennett got behind cornerback Phillip Buchanon and headed for the back corner of the end zone. But Bulger’s pass was short, and the 5-11 Buchanon snared it.

In the locker room afterward, Bulger said he and Bennett “weren’t on the same page.” He said he thought Bennett was going to turn and come back for the ball instead of running a “fade” route.

On Monday, coach Scott Linehan rebutted Bulger’s explanation. “If that’s the case, we’re not doing a good enough job of coaching it, because it was a fade,” Linehan said. “I’m sure Marc would tell you that if he had to do it all over again, he’d throw it higher.”

Bulger returned serve Wednesday, re-emphasizing his original stance. “I promise you, we were just on the wrong page,” he said. “If I was aiming for the back cone, where (Bennett) was headed, the ball wouldn’t have been on a line drive. I know for a fact I wouldn’t have missed by 5 yards. It was just miscommunication.”

Tackle/guard Jeremy Parquet was wearing one of the widest smiles Wednesday at Rams Park. The 6-6, 321-pound Parquet, who was among the final training camp cuts, was re-signed Tuesday.

“I’m real excited . . . real excited,” Parquet said. The spate of injuries that has struck the offensive line prompted the team to summon Parquet. He said he’d been workout twice a day “just trying to stay in shape,” and had received a call from the Saints. “Other than that, not much interest,” he said.

As for returning to a team that already had cut him, Parquet didn’t hesitate. “It’s the NFL. It’s about timing and opportunity,” he said. “When somebody gives you a chance, you’ve got to take it.”

Notes & quotes:

>>T Orlando Pace made a brief appearance in the locker room Wednesday, his surgically repaired right shoulder in a sling. Pace didn’t speak with reporters.

>>LB Pisa Tinoisamoa (ankle) was full-go at practice and should be back in the lineup Sunday at Dallas.

>>RG Richie Incognito (ankle) got in his most work since he was hurt in mid-August. He’s questionable for this week.

>>Claude Terrell apparently is the leading candidate to take over for Mark Setterstrom (knee) at LG. Setterstrom is done for the year after going down Sunday.

>>Rams vs. Cowboys is Fox’s top game this week and will be shown to about half the country. Joe Buck and Troy Aikman will be behind the mikes.

All for now . . .

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Linehan, Bulger spar over key interception

Wow, that's a rather sensationalized headline.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Totally agree, Nick.

Typical tabloid "what gossipy story should I write about today" piece this time from Coats .

supachump is offline Registered User

sounds like Bulger and Linehan agree. Miscommunication. Nothing else. Tabloid!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Dare I bring it up again??? Preseason, Preseason, Preseason...... Bennet should have had more plays on the field with Bulger during the preseason!!!

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Dare I bring it up again??? Preseason, Preseason, Preseason...... Bennet should have had more plays on the field with Bulger during the preseason!!!

"
    If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?
    Just thought we might revisit that and substitute "pre-season" where A. I. says "practice"
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    THANK YOU!!!!

(Oh, and by the way... that was the founder of SLAP who posted the above quoted post.)

live4ramin is offline Registered User

If that interception was a line drive then I'm crazy. Wait! Never mind.

For Bulger ten yards is a bomb.
    I'm the guy that walks up after the argument's started.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    For Bulger ten yards is a bomb.
    I guess that equates to having less than three seconds to drop back, make reads and get rid of the ball. It's safe to say we're not dealing with normal circumstances these days.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

That pass was a definite fade. A rainbow which was intended for the "coffin corner". A play in every teams playbook. But the pass was so bad Bulger trys to claim it was a line drive.

Rediculous.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -09-27-2007 at 03:19 PM.
    I'm the guy that walks up after the argument's started.

Rambos is offline Registered User

That pass was a definite fade. A rainbow which was intended for the "coffin corner". A play in every teams playbook. But the pass was so bad Bulger trys to claim it was a line drive.

Rediculous.
    I saw Benett on the sideline with his hands, trying to show where he was going, too me it looked like miscommunication. Par for the course sad to say.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

You know, after reading alot of threads lately I'm not sure what dissappoints me more, the collapsing Rams or the collapsing fans. I just get so tired of this "what have you done for me lately" attitude. I read a post on here where someone was saying we should get rid of Wilkins and Leonard Little, Wilkins because he's old and Little because he hasn't done anything in three games. OH MY GOD NOT THREE GAMES!

Seriously..

Ok, yeah, Bulger had a bad day, you know what? It happens, deal with it and move on. It's going to take a hell of alot more than one bad game for me to start saying Bulger sucks, and it should take a hell of alot more than that for anyone who actually bothers to consider their arguments logically. While we're at it, why don't we just get rid of Bruce and Holt too? I mean in 3 games they haven't caught 15 touch downs or anything, so clearly they suck.

Christ...

Kane is offline Registered User

Whenever results are poor, things will get a bit tense. People will disagree on minor points and the media will sensationalise it. Storm in a tea cup.

I do think that the lack of time spent playing the starting offense in preseason is coming back tp bite us. Linehan said he wasn't concerned taht they hadn't scored pre-season: He should have been.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    Whenever results are poor, things will get a bit tense. People will disagree on minor points and the media will sensationalise it. Storm in a tea cup.

I do think that the lack of time spent playing the starting offense in preseason is coming back tp bite us. Linehan said he wasn't concerned taht they hadn't scored pre-season: He should have been.

Agreed, Kane, it is a bit like the proverbial Tempest in a Teacup, but it could escalate to a full fledged swamping of the ship if things don't at least show signs of improvement.

I say let's hoist the sea-anchor so as to reduce drag and show the doubters what we can do when we unfurl the sails and run with the wind!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!