AJD45 is offline Registered User

Linehan to call his own plays

"Linehan, who will call his own plays in St. Louis, last played a Rams team in 2003 ..."

This was found many paragraphs down in one of the myriad Post-Dispatch articles. Yes, mentioned just in passing is, to me, one of the most significant aspects to Linehan's hiring: once again, we get a guy intent on being both a head coach and offensive coordinator at the same time.

After watching Martz struggle so mightily with this, I can't believe it is not getting any attention from the press. Martz's double-duty to was the root cause of his most embarrassing faults: the ridiculous time-outs, comical replay challenges, etc. Because he was so focused on the offense, he couldn't manage the game.

Now Linehan apparently will attempt it -- something he has never done. Wearing both hats means he will have to be that much better at each to compensate for the lost time he can devote to each. I'm not saying that he will fail for sure because of this -- others have done it successfully -- but the leap of faith here is something that should be at the top of the list of topics going forward.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Linehan to call his own plays

You make it sound like Mike Martz was the only Head Coach in the league calling his own plays. In fact, several do, including Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren and Jon Gruden. There is no reason to presume that Linehan will be unable to do so.

Give the guy a chance.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Also, didn't belichick take over the offensive play calling duties this season after his OC left? I heard that was his plan and he is a defensive minded coach or has served most of his career on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm not concerned about Linehan calling the plays. He was a very good division II QB at the U of I and he has been calling plays for much of his coaching career. Personally, I think he is quite skilled at playcalling. Something he was born to do, if you will.

MM was born to call plays, too -- it's when he tried to be a head coach at the same time that he ran into trouble.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AJD45
    MM was born to call plays, too -- it's when he tried to be a head coach at the same time that he ran into trouble.
    The only thing that is truly troubling is your lack of understanding.

Rookie is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

I dont mind so much calling his own plays especcially before he gets a o-coordinator on the same page as him. Hopefully he will like others have people in the booth monitoring the replay and be able to make sound reccomendations on challenges. Man it is going to be nice to have a few timeouts and challenges available at the end of the halfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    The only thing that is truly troubling is your lack of understanding.
    I do lack understanding, but only about your foundation for this post. Bizarre. Did I give offense somehow? I'm not "anti-Linehan" or anything, just voicing a valid (IMHO) concern. Or should we just not mention we're bringing in a new coach that's going to try the exact same thing at which the old guy failed??

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I named three successful Head Coaches who all call their own plays. Martz was also a successful Head Coach, if you measure success by winning percentage and playoff appearances.

Still, each person is an individual. You know what they say... The World don't move, to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right for some...

Ah beautiful, a Diff'rent Strokes reference... :up:

You named three, another was mentioned, that would be 4/32 head coaches that also call the offensive plays -- 12.5% -- in other words, an elite few. I'm not saying Linehan CAN'T POSSIBLY be among this elite and succeed, I'm just saying it's a really big assumption going on that he will when it seems to me the odds are tough against it, especially after watching an offensive genius like Martz struggle with it. Note I never said Martz was "unsuccessful" overall, just that he had trouble with wearing the two hats at the same time. And now we're risking the same thing again.

maineram is offline Registered User

I'll wait to see how things go before deciding it's a success or failure. He had mentioned that while in Miami, things started to click on offense when he came down from the booth to see things from a different perspective. He then sent some assistants up in the booth, and things worked pretty good.
    Yes I know, it is entirely different now being the HC as appose to the OC in Miami. See me in week 4.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Yodude is offline Registered User

I'm not saying that he will fail for sure because of this
    ....in case anyone has trouble reading....take a crack at it again.

The guys isn't saying the sky is falling, just expressing something he's concerned about based on experience gained from Martz's tenure here.

What the hell are you striving for here, a bunch of mindless drones who all have the same opinion?
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster