RamWraith is offline Registered User

Linehan continues to shuffle his staff

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Friday, Feb. 15 2008

The revamping of Rams coach Scott Linehanís staff continues. Linehan confirmed
    Friday that tight ends coach Judd Garrett is being replaced by Jim Chaney, the
    Ramsí assistant offensive line coach the past two seasons.
    Bob Saunders, the son of newly named offensive coordinator Al Saunders, will
    fill Garrettís spot on the staff as an offensive assistant. New offensive line
    coach Steve Loney wonít have a designated assistant next season.
    Garrett, 40, came to the Rams in 2006 after six years as an assistant with the
    Miami Dolphins and three years with the New Orleans Saints. He was an NCAA
    Division I-AA All-America running back at Princeton.
    His wife, Kathy, was an All-America soccer player at Princeton. She died Aug.
    19, 2007, after a brief illness at age 38. The couple had four children, ages 9
    to 15.
    Linehan said Garrett needed time "to get everything together with his family.
    That was something I felt strongly about personally." Garrett had a year
    remaining on his contract, which the team will honor, Linehan said.
    "Itís a hard thing, because he requires some more time at home," Linehan said.
    "You want the best for everybody in these situations. In his position, itís not
    the best thing for him to be away from his family. . . .
    "I told him he wasnít going to have a coaching position. We couldíve reassigned
    him to work somewhere in the organization, but as I thought about it, I thought
    the best thing would be to let him know that weíll take care of the contract so
    he has that and can take the year to kind of get things squared away. Heís free
    to look for another job, although I donít know if at this time that would be
    the best thing."
    Garrett is the seventh member of Linehanís 19-man staff to be fired or to leave
    in the wake of the Ramsí 3-13 season, their worst record since moving to St.
    Louis in 1995.
    Chaney, 46, also joined the Rams in 2006, his first NFL job after 21 years in
    college coaching, including nine seasons as offensive coordinator at Purdue.
    Bob Saunders, 31, has worked for his father as an offensive assistant for six
    years, four in Kansas City and then two in Washington.
    The only opening remaining on Linehanís staff is for an assistant strength and
    conditioning coach.

moloch41 Guest

Re: Linehan continues to shuffle his staff

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    The only opening remaining on Linehanís staff is for an assistant strength and conditioning coach.
    Did they hire a defensive backs coach?

bigredman Guest

That was a very classy and thoughtful move by Linehan and the Ram's front office toward Garrett. It is that type of compassion that is so often lost in the corporate or sport world, and it makes me proud to be a Rams fan.

Good luck to you Mr. Garrett. My best wishes to you and your children, and I hope you come back the Ram family when you can.

Drummerman1011 Guest

ya ron milus, hired from within for secondary coach.

LinkBacks (?)