AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Linehan the Control Freak is Just What the Rams Need

Control.

If there is one word that describes the Linehan Rams, it is control.

That one word describes Head Coach Scott Linehan's approach. Control over the coaching staff. Control over the media. Controlling the ball. Controlling the clock.

Not everyone likes a control freak. The media doesn't like the control Linehan exerts over the flow of information. Too bad.

The fans don't like the ball-control (some might say overly conservative) offense. Tough luck.

This new Rams team is striving to become the type of team that can control a game by running the clock, keeping the defense off the field, dictating the tempo when the defense is on the field, and not turning the ball over. History tells us that this is a formula for success.

So don't lament the end of the high flying circus that has left town. Embrace the control. It just might take us places.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Linehan the Control Freak is Just What the Rams Need

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Control.

If there is one word that describes the Linehan Rams, it is control.

That one word describes Head Coach Scott Linehan's approach. Control over the coaching staff. Control over the media. Controlling the ball. Controlling the clock.

Not everyone likes a control freak. The media doesn't like the control Linehan exerts over the flow of information. Too bad.

The fans don't like the ball-control (some might say overly conservative) offense. Tough luck.

This new Rams team is striving to become the type of team that can control a game by running the clock, keeping the defense off the field, dictating the tempo when the defense is on the field, and not turning the ball over. History tells us that this is a formula for success.

So don't lament the end of the high flying circus that has left town. Embrace the control. It just might take us places.
    AV,

I couldn't agree more. Just give us the W's at any cost.

thoey is offline Registered User

Hey AV, as far as control over his coaching staff, besides interviews, I thought he let the coaches do their job?

While the GSOT was exciting, it was only truly great when we were winning and dominant. Hey, I used to like a circus when I was a kid, but I grew out of that too.
    This space for rent...

I think he lets the coaches do their thing, but he sets the overall tone of the team. I think he understands that one can lead and delegate at the same time.

thoey is offline Registered User

Well, I like it. I'll like it better when they work the kinks out...
    This space for rent...

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I have no problem with a ball control offense. As long as they finish drives off with points, and don't turn the ball over or put the defense in bad situations. We still have play makers on this offense that have proven they can score when needed.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I have no problem with a ball control offense. As long as they finish drives off with points, and don't turn the ball over or put the defense in bad situations. We still have play makers on this offense that have proven they can score when needed.
    I don't know what fans you're talking about, but this fan loves a ball control offense. Control the clock, control the ground game, and the game is usually yours for the taking. Ramman, have patience, this team WILL score. And you're absolutely right, I believe we'll have the best of both worlds. We have the players to strike quickly, but with our new commitment to the running game, we can slow it down and control it when we need to. It will come together, probably sooner than we think. Those "fans" that miss the GSOT will come around to it, believe me.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RealRam is online now Registered User

As long as they finish drives off with points, and don't turn the ball over or put the defense in bad situations. --Ramman68
    Excellent conditional comment on 'control'. And I trust we'll get there. :r

...Have patience, this team WILL score. And you're absolutely right, I believe we'll have the best of both worlds. We have the players to strike quickly, but with our new commitment to the running game, we can slow it down and control it when we need to. It will come together, probably sooner than we think. Those "fans" that miss the GSOT will come around to it, believe me.
    -- RFRH
    GO RAMS!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I don't know what fans you're talking about, but this fan loves a ball control offense. Control the clock, control the ground game, and the game is usually yours for the taking. Ramman, have patience, this team WILL score. And you're absolutely right, I believe we'll have the best of both worlds. We have the players to strike quickly, but with our new commitment to the running game, we can slow it down and control it when we need to. It will come together, probably sooner than we think. Those "fans" that miss the GSOT will come around to it, believe me.
    Just win!
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I kind of chuckle at this thread, because in covering the Rams and the NFL for 11 years, I can tell you that every head coach I encountered could be considered a "control freak" . That's their job.

As far as coaches go, Linehan actually lets people do their job on his staff more than some. Like some new breed guys, he is paranoid of the media, but seeing as how they act at times , can you blame him?
    Barry Waller

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

With Miklasz on his patch I can't blame him at all.......................

RealRam is online now Registered User

Like some new breed guys, he [SL] is paranoid of the media, but seeing as how they act at times, can you blame him? -- B. Waller
    These coaches, in turn, learned well from an earlier generation of critics of the critics, paranoid themselves of such media monsters. Great coaches and censors of the media like George Allen, Vince Lombardi, Mike Ditka, et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I kind of chuckle at this thread, because in covering the Rams and the NFL for 11 years, I can tell you that every head coach I encountered could be considered a "control freak" . That's their job.

As far as coaches go, Linehan actually lets people do their job on his staff more than some. Like some new breed guys, he is paranoid of the media, but seeing as how they act at times , can you blame him?
    That's kind of my point, Barry. There are some in the media who shall remain nameless (though one of them has a name that rhymes with "burn the sick gas"), who slap the label "control freak" on a coach like its a bad thing. I like the fact that Linehan has taken control of this team and is doing things his way.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I still like the circus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Well the "control freak" in whom you speak could do a better job controlling the his quarterback and the clock than he did at the end of BOTH halves last week. That was way ugly. Manoman, MM couldn't have done any better. Or worse...... Oh well. Bulger was just moseying around scratching his ass for gods sake. Did this trouble anyone else?

Control?
    Let the hype begin.