Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    schram is offline Registered User

On Linehan debut

The most notable change in the Ram's offense this afternoon was the slow movement of the team. The trademark Ram speed with crisp patterns coupled with innovative routes was awol. Instead the offense fell into a predictable playbook with tired effort and failure to execute.

The coach squandered a superb collection of offensive players including record smashing receivers and dead accurate passer. The upfield pass patterns in the middle and exquisite timing patterns on the edges were replaced by awkwardly slow button hooks.

On Haslett.

Today demonstrates the power of a coach in football. The defense played with intensity, blazing speed and discipline. The tackleling reminded me of Tampa Bay in the Rams playoff game, violent and correct. The defense play calling was aggressive with just the right restraint. This was an amazing coaching accomplishment.

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

Re: On Linehan debut

i agree the offense has to become a little more unpredictable martz's play book was a defensive co.s night mare but lenihan is a lil more laid back and predictable
    Torry Holt Dont play that

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by schram
    The most notable change in the Ram's offense this afternoon was the slow movement of the team. The trademark Ram speed with crisp patterns coupled with innovative routes was awol. Instead the offense fell into a predictable playbook with tired effort and failure to execute.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoramz
    i agree the offense has to become a little more unpredictable martz's play book was a defensive co.s night mare but lenihan is a lil more laid back and predictable.
    Linehan, a first year head coach is learning to implement his system with players he's not completely familiar with. Ram players are trying to learn that system. It was the first game of the season and we lined up against one of the best defenses in the NFL. This is a work in progress. Anyone who thought this was going to be the GSOT ll right out of the gates is fooling themselves.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Totally agree, R8rh8rmike. It must be quite the challenge for SL to come in and coach a team with so much controversy within its playcalling system and philosophy and succeed right away.

But Coach Linehan did just that today, albeit greatly supported by a very good defensive performance, a product from savvy D coordinator Haslett.

I suppose Coach Shanahan could only extend a sincere congrats to SL. :r

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

I think you all need to refer to the 2004 Vikings.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

My first thought was that Schram is a troll.

Aside from that I can't understand how any reasonable person could dis Linehan after beating a tough team. Few have been as critical of his hiring as me, but I have said that since that's the way it is, he's going to need time to adjust to his new role. I think he did a hellofa job for the first game. I'm very impressed. He can only get better over time. And, if what I've read about his offensive ability is true, I expect less vanilla (hey, I love vanilla), and more flavors to follows.

In the shadow of Schopenhauer I fear that I see a shoot of green hope breaking through the soil.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Lets bash the post, not the poster.

I think he has something of a point. I dont agree with the magnitude of his statement, but i will say this. If the defense doesnt create 5 turnovers, we lose this game.

Our failure to convert in the red zone to that magnitude will need to be dramatically improved. I challenge people to find a team that wins a game scoring no tds in 7 red zone appearances. it isnt going to happen often, let alone against a team like denver. I thought the pass on second and goal from the two was a lousy play call. jam jackson up the middle three times, we should be able to gain two yards.

My criticism of linehan would be a bit as offensive coordinator, not as head coach, but i think the issues were more on the execution side. Bulger had some open guys that he missed and ike had a drop (granted it was a crappy throw) at the goal line that really cost us.

Ramsnation has been clamoring for more commitment to the running game. We got what we wanted. I think we will see plenty of high power from this offense as they round into form, the play of the defense was inspiring in the extreme.

Lets just hope larry turner is up to the task.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is offline Registered User

Think Marc played about as bad as he can play. That being said if he hits a wide-open Holt in the end zone, we are not having this conversation. All any coach can do is put the players in position to make the plays and Marc just had an off day. Lets not take anything away from a Denver team that went to the AFC championship came last year.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

For what its worth, I had a good view of the pass to Holt in the end zone, and Bulger didn't really have a throwing lane to lead him, which is why the throw was behind.

ram3057 is offline Registered User

jam jackson up the middle three times, we should be able to gain two yards.
    This is exactly how I felt about the game. On one side you have Shanahan going for it on fourth down and getting the necessary yardage, almost changed the whole game. All day you could see how powerful Jackson is - carrying guys on him right and left - give him the ball and let him run the damn thing in.

Hopefully, this will be the case next week.

The only thing better than a RAMS win is a 49er loss
    Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

Rambos is offline Registered User

On TV it looked like he was wide open and Marc just missed him, I still am far more excited about how the team as a whole played and the defense. I have no concerns that this offense will struggle week in and week out.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Linehan, a first year head coach is learning to implement his system with players he's not completely familiar with. Ram players are trying to learn that system. It was the first game of the season and we lined up against one of the best defenses in the NFL. This is a work in progress. Anyone who thought this was going to be the GSOT ll right out of the gates is fooling themselves.
    As I have posted many times before, a win is a win no matter how ugly or however they win, I will take the win.

But a brilliant defensive performance was wasted by a myopic play calling nerd. I am not asking for GSOT2 but with our existing components one would think a TD or 2 with the awesome field position supplied by the "D" should have been par for the course. What troubled me during the pre-games came to reality yesterday.

Is there anything wrong keeping a portion of the MM playbook as it was successful and creative. I think I saw very few pass plays on 1st or second downs.

A brilliantly executed and coached Defense with a barely ho-hum game plan for the O. Corps. Bulger was off but so was the playcalling. I guess SJ does not get that 37 yd run unless he gets his number called often or unless there was a balanced run/pass plays from the booth, etc.

New offense or not, other than our o-line protection and health and a decent qb in the game like Bulger and improved play and blocking from our tightends there was not much to $%% with. I guess no one here went to the Saints dolphins (Coach Linehan) game last year as it was just a bit more boring than this one was. Do not forget about the 2004 Vikings O either as it was another yawner.

We have the talent, let's hope our new man in charge utilizes it. I do not think our D can carry this team all year long but the way we played on offense, new or not, they may just have to do it!:x
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessone View Post
    As I have posted many times before, a win is a win no matter how ugly or however they win, I will take the win.

But a brilliant defensive performance was wasted by a myopic play calling nerd. I am not asking for GSOT2 but with our existing components one would think a TD or 2 with the awesome field position supplied by the "D" should have been par for the course. What troubled me during the pre-games came to reality yesterday.

Is there anything wrong keeping a portion of the MM playbook as it was successful and creative. I think I saw very few pass plays on 1st or second downs.

A brilliantly executed and coached Defense with a barely ho-hum game plan for the O. Corps. Bulger was off but so was the playcalling. I guess SJ does not get that 37 yd run unless he gets his number called often or unless there was a balanced run/pass plays from the booth, etc.

New offense or not, other than our o-line protection and health and a decent qb in the game like Bulger and improved play and blocking from our tightends there was not much to $%% with. I guess no one here went to the Saints dolphins (Coach Linehan) game last year as it was just a bit more boring than this one was. Do not forget about the 2004 Vikings O either as it was another yawner.

We have the talent, let's hope our new man in charge utilizes it. I do not think our D can carry this team all year long but the way we played on offense, new or not, they may just have to do it!:x
    I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here. It was one game out of sixteen, the first game. If the same thing happens the next two weeks, you might have a point, but you may want to pace yourself until then. Linehan doesn't deserve to be dismissed after a single game.

That successful and creative MM playbook you mentioned could only muster 6 points in it's Detroit debut. In the same game, the Seahawks, who last year had the number one scoring offense in the NFL could only manage 9 points on 3 field goals. Are Martz and Holmgren now relagated to "myopic play calling nerds"?

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here. It was one game out of sixteen, the first game. If the same thing happens the next two weeks, you might have a point, but you may want to pace yourself until then. Linehan doesn't deserve to be dismissed after a single game.

That successful and creative MM playbook you mentioned could only muster 6 points in it's Detroit debut. In the same game, the Seahawks, who last year had the number one scoring offense in the NFL could only manage 9 points on 3 field goals. Are Martz and Holmgren now relagated to "myopic play calling nerds"?
    You are right lets disagree. It is one of sixteen but I am happy with the win and it was ugly but not due to our defense's play. How many times where they (DET AND c-chicks) in the redzone yesterday or within the five yard line?

My point is that we were lucky to win this game even though our D provided us with awesome field position. Are we rebuilding/retooling our offense? like detriot. Or maybe the o-line in Seattle is a bit dicey with some new faces on it.

Check the Miami team's offense stats last year. I went to one of their games and they could barely beat a beleaguered heartless Saints team which was a few games after they beat the crap out of us, BTW I believe we beat the 'aints 28-17 or something like that.

I am not too crazy about his offense at this point or during the summer or with the dolphins. You need to pace yourself on your comments as I just stated he or the OC was myopic and unimaginative and nothing about heads rolling. You may be a little concerned too after we play da cards. Unless our offense can produce like in the past than we are looking second or third best depending on Seattle's o-line and our inability to get untracked within our division .

But if we keep winning ugly or not I will take it and keep my mouth shut
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessone View Post
    You need to pace yourself on your comments as I just stated he or the OC was myopic and unimaginative and nothing about heads rolling.
    I didn't make any comment on heads rolling either. My use of "dismissed" was in the context of "reject", as in the play calling abilities of Linehan.

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessone
    Check the Miami team's offense stats last year. I went to one of their games and they could barely beat a beleaguered heartless Saints team which was a few games after they beat the crap out of us, BTW I believe we beat the 'aints 28-17 or something like that.
    How about looking at Minnesota's team stats while Linehan was running the offense there. 2002 - 2nd in NFL total offense, 2003 - 1st in NFL total offense, 2004 - 4th in NFL total offense. When you look at the big picture, Linehan has a history of success.

You may be a little concerned too after we play da cards.
    I might be, but I'm certainly not concerned after a single game and am willing to give Linehan the benefit of the doubt.

But if we keep winning ugly or not I will take it and keep my mouth shut
    Fair enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast