Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rams8821 is offline Registered User

Linehan DID NOT take points off the board

He threw the flag before the Wilkins kick. So the points were never on the board. Im not saying I agree or disagree with going for it but points were NEVER on the board and there is no guarantee we would make another FG.

It wasnt a great call on 4th and 1.5 but Smith blew the play as well. Im pissed as anyone with this loss but please dont put blame on Linehan. Was it his fault Richie had back to back penalties that KILLED us?

Im going to Carolina next week to represent Rams Nation and Im hoping we can put up a good effort and get a W.

As bad as things are we are only 1 game back of a playoff spot.

Go Rams and keep the faith.

Rams Fan For Life:clanram: :clanram:

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Linehan DID NOT take points off the board

Quote Originally Posted by rams8821 View Post
    He threw the flag before the Wilkins kick. So the points were never on the board. Im not saying I agree or disagree with going for it but points were NEVER on the board and there is no guarantee we would make another FG.
    It would have been a 29-yard field goal. Wilkins is 95/98 from that distance over his career, and in the last eight seasons has only missed one from that range. IMO, this is about as close a guarantee as you're going to get in football. Wilkins' 96.9% career conversion rate and 100% conversion rate this season from that distance is certainly better than the team's 50% fourth down conversion rate this season.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Im just saying points were not on the board. Okay say we were up 5, do you think we would have stopped Seatle from scoring a TD? And then would everyone be whining about kicking the FG instead of going for the TD. This is give and take here and I dont think we need to throw Scott under the bus.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Im just saying points were not on the board. Okay say we were up 5, do you think we would have stopped Seatle from scoring a TD? And then would everyone be whining about kicking the FG instead of going for the TD. This is give and take here and I dont think we need to throw Scott under the bus.
    Throw him under the bus??? To late, we have him run over several times already. SHOW ME THE POINTS !

He made the call and its very easy to second guess him. The D stopped them 3 and out and gave it right back to the O. Remember the Carolina playoff game, we kicked the FG, that didnt work out too well either.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Okay say we were up 5, do you think we would have stopped Seatle from scoring a TD?
    Considering in their two second-half drives prior to this decision the Rams were able to stop them, I certainly don't think it was out of the realm of possibility. The Rams were getting momentum in the second half after having kicked a field goal and then forced a turnover. More points on the board would have worked in their favor. Failing to convert a 4th and 1 and turning the ball over to Seattle did not work in their favor.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I hear ya Nick, just saying I dont think that call LOST this game for us.

Hoping I get to enjoy seeing a Rams win in BOA next sunday.

tanus is offline Registered User

There is a huge difference between being up by 2 and being up by 5. With the way the defence was playing in the 2nd half, it made absolutely no sense to try and go for the TD. About the only time I could see the point of going for the TD in that situation would be if it was a shootout, which this game clearly wasn't. You can argue all you want about this but it is clear as day that this bone head decision put the rams in a position to lose.

Also, let's not compare the decision by Martz to go for the FG in the Carolina playoff game to this one. It is not even the same type of situation.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

This decision cost us the game, there I said it. Everybody knows Wilkins scores from that distance, he even proved it by kicking it in after the flag was down. Let's not make any excuses for Linehan, he messed up, big time.

Basically we gave this game away, we had 3 situations where we would at the worst tie the game and send it to overtime:

1) Linehan decides to go for it on 4th instead of kicking.
    (cost 3 points)

2) Incognito erases a succesful 2-point conversion.
    (cost 2 points)

3) Nobody touches Burleson on the punt return.
    (potentially cost 7 or 4 points depending on whether the defense would have stopped them again)

Again, if we make any of those plays we at the very least take it to overtime. I think it would be fair to say that each of the players and coaches responsible for those 3 plays (mainly Linehan, Incognito and the punt coverage unit) cost us the game. Bottomline is we can't give the game away like that and expect to win. Heck we don't even deserve to win when we play like we did yesterday against a Seattle team without its 2 most important players.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

It wasnt a great call on 4th and 1.5 but Smith blew the play as well.
    Hey rams8821, what do you mean by this? Are you referring to Paul Smith and, if so, how did he blow the play? BTW I agree with your statement, there were officially no points on the board therefore there was nothing to take off. You are also probably correct that many would have criticized Linehan if kicking the FG in that situation did not result in a win.

WHAT SAY YE?

Yeah, Paul Smith: This was from Linehan's press conference.

On fullback Paul Smith not understanding where he was supposed to go on that play: ďThat canít happen. If that happens out on the field, youíve got to call time out. The assumption is that heís got it, once he asks (for the play). You canít go to the line of scrimmage without all the information. Thatís an obvious thing. I talked to Marc (Bulger), I said thatís doomed from the start. You donít want to use your timeouts. That would have been a good timeout to use.Ē

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Considering in their two second-half drives prior to this decision the Rams were able to stop them, I certainly don't think it was out of the realm of possibility. The Rams were getting momentum in the second half after having kicked a field goal and then forced a turnover. More points on the board would have worked in their favor. Failing to convert a 4th and 1 and turning the ball over to Seattle did not work in their favor.
    Absolutely agree...looking back based on the final score many can criticize Linehan for that decision, but I wouldn't have done the same thing at that time.
    Last edited by bigredman; -11-14-2006 at 09:47 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Absolutely agree...looking back based on the final score many can criticize Linehan for that decision, but I would have done the same thing at that time.
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I think Nick is talking about taking the 3 points as "more points." So if you agree with Linehan then you don't agree with Nick, or as I said maybe I'm reading it wrong, I'm tired so who knows.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

It wasn't the best decision.

You get a turnover, you have a chance to go up by five on the road against the division leaders. If your rationale for going for it on 4th and 1 is that if you fail your D will stop them, then, as long as your special teams do their job, you should expect your D to stop them again maybe 15 yards further up the field and do 5 points up on them.

Whilst kicking for points doesn't win you the game necessarily, it puts you in a better position to do so.

I didn't agree with it when he made the decision, although I understood the rationale, and I'm afraid I don't agree with it now.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

There were a few instances that cost the Rams the game

Incognito ruling out the two pointer only cost us 1 point, because Wilkins subsequently kicked the extra point. The bigger play that Incognito made was the 15 yard personal foul that made Wilkins kick off from the 15 on the last kick.

You can say what you want about the punt return, but it was defnitely not Turk's fault, and the Rams have been one of the best in the league at covering punts until then.

And you cant blame Linehan for taking the shot on fourth down. Although the call wasnt what you would expected, what truly ruined the play is Paul Smith staying into block when he would have been the guy to probably get the pass.

However, the thing that really cost the Rams the game is the fact that the offense couldnt score in the redzone again, and the defense couldnt stop the run. Not many games can be won just with Jeff Wilkins kicking lots of field goals, especially when you let a backup RB and QB tear up your team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast