RamWraith is offline Registered User

Linehan gives bonus day off

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/31/2007

Scott Linehan threw out a hefty carrot to Rams players during Tuesday's squad meeting: Have a decent practice Tuesday, and they wouldn't have to come in Wednesday.

"So we made sure we did decent at practice," center Andy McCollum said, chuckling.

After the players held up their end of the bargain, Linehan made good on his end of the deal. The players were dismissed for the bye week Tuesday afternoon, a day earlier than scheduled. Wednesday's light workout, conditioning and film study were canceled.

The team won't gather again until Monday for practice and the start of preparation for the Rams' next contest, Nov. 11 in New Orleans.

"I just decided to give them (Wednesday) off," Linehan said. "I thought about it, and I think they just need something some kind of a spark or an energy boost. Something."

So he told his players to get away from football for a while.

"Get away from each other, get away from coaches, get away from the whole schedule, the routine," Linehan said. "Right now, we need to have a renewed spirit and renewed approach."

The extra day off came as a surprise to the players.

"It was a total surprise," rookie defensive tackle Clifton Ryan said.

"It's good. We need the rest," linebacker Chris Draft said. "It's mental and physical rest. (Linehan) said, 'Hey, just take some time to get away from the game. Refocus. Take care of your bodies. Use this time to get rested up. And get your minds refreshed and be ready to attack this second half of the season, coming in fairly healthy.' "

Linehan's bye-week audible left many players juggling travel schedules and revising plans.

Ryan, who played at Michigan State, will take in the rivalry game in East Lansing between the Spartans and the visiting Michigan Wolverines.

McCollum may pack up the kids and head to the gulf shores of Alabama.

Tight end Randy McMichael is headed back home to Georgia. His high school jersey (No. 5) will be retired at halftime of Friday's Peach County High Trojans football game. On Saturday, the University of Georgia graduate will take in the Bulldogs' homecoming game against Troy.

"I'm looking forward to being able to spend a little bit more time with the family," McCollum said. "Hopefully, it'll help everybody mentally and psychologically to come back and be able to look for that win that we're looking for."

Yes, that elusive win. Victory No. 1. It's out there somewhere among the final eight contests, isn't it?

"It's just a matter of us going out and being refreshed and being recharged after the bye, and having sole focus on getting our first win," wide receiver Torry Holt said. "We're desperate. We're desperate for a win. So we have to really grind it out and do what we need to do to get that."

McMichael keeps telling himself it can't get any worse.

"I said that two weeks ago ... but we lost two more," he said.

Tuesday normally is the players' day off during the regular season. And it usually takes a couple of days, at least, to get through even the normal aches and pains of a Sunday game. That meant players worked through the soreness on the practice field Tuesday.

"Normally, my body's still sore on Thursday," said McCollum, a 14-year NFL veteran. "For me, it's my knees, my left shoulder. Today, my knuckles are just killing me. But you work through it and it does help. You feel better after you force through it a little bit and get the blood going and do some stuff."

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan gives bonus day off

Perhaps Linehan is spending his free day in church, on his knees, praying to God.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Days off can be good or bad. Probably more good to us than any chance of being bad.
    Good - our guys are beat up and can use all the healing time possible; something has got to get a spark going;
    Bad - it can get your team in a funk just because of changing the schedule, but with the way we are playing now, getting in a funk may not be a bad thing

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

I just hope it doesnt backfire. The biggest boost of confidence would be for us to come out with a win after the bye.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Gee, haven't they earnt it

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I would have worked them right through until the Saints game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    I would have worked them right through until the Saints game.
    I see your thinking here, they haven't exactly earnt the time off with stellar play this season. However sometimes when a team is struggling as much as the Rams are a break away from the rigours of practice can be refreshing and when returning the players should be more upbeat and raring to get that 1st W in the column. Mentally and physically this team has taken a battering and time away will help them rest up and evaluate their own performances and what they must do better to help this team..

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 81~BIG-GAME View Post
    I see your thinking here, they haven't exactly earnt the time off with stellar play this season. However sometimes when a team is struggling as much as the Rams are a break away from the rigours of practice can be refreshing and when returning the players should be more upbeat and raring to get that 1st W in the column. Mentally and physically this team has taken a battering and time away will help them rest up and evaluate their own performances and what they must do better to help this team..
    Agreed. The last thing this team needs right now is to be overextending themselves in practice, which could very well cause even more injuries. If anyone thinks one extra day of practice is going to be the difference between winning and losing a week and a half later, I don't know what to tell you.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Linehan needs the time off to catch up on his reading.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I hope the orginization put out a heads up to the players lawyers and public relations people.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

:x....Perhaps some earned the time off--but most haven't. Personally, I would have keep the entire offensive line working out on fundementals--like blocking.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I agree with it. There's no reason to have another Tye Hill injury when what the guys need is healing time and maybe some time to sit back, reflect and come back with a vengeance.