Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Linehan and Haslett: First impressions

For those Rams fans that attended or were able to watch the first preseason game on tv; I am wondering what impression you came away with as to the presence of the new Rams coaching staff on the field?

For me, it was a bit odd not to see Martz on the field after six straight preseasons. After last seasons prelude, during Martz' absence, the reality of a new staff has finally come to fruition.

Martz was a different sort, of that, I am certain. He spent most of his time on the sidelines distancing himself from his players. Martz was indeed the mad "eccentric" genius along the lines that border the playing field.

Fully equipped, with headset and brightly color coded playchart in hand, my first impression of Linehan is that he is deeply involved with the offensive side of the game. In that respect, I don't consider him to be that much different from Martz. However, unlike Martz, he does not seem to distance himself from the players along the sidelines.

Haslett is indeed in charge of the defense. After two years of Marmie in the booth, it is once again nice to see the DC down on the sidelines surrounded by his players. Haslett appears to have a presence on the field. I get the impression that his players want to perform for him. They appear to be playing hard and buying into his system. Something that was sorely lacking with Marmie in charge of the defense.

Overall, I am pleased with the way Linehan and Haslett carried themselves last night. I have a positive outlook that this will become a well-ordered coaching tandem to lead our Rams through a successful regular season and a playoff appearance.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Linehan and Haslett: First impressions

I think we better enjoy Haslett while we have him. He really has a present on the field and Ferter you hit it right on the head with Marmie in the booth. That in itself is strange you DC in the booth and not on the sideline in the heat of the battle with his guys. I really enjoyed Haslett on our sideline for a change he is so intense it has to carry over to the field.

dolphan117 is offline Registered User

My first impression of Scotty is that he ran it a heck of a lot more last night than I expected him to. One of the things that had quite a few Dolphins fans calling for his head midway through the season was that we had both Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown and were still throwing the ball on third and short. I remember one game where it was like third and one and we threw it. Incompletion. 4th and one and we go for it. Incompletion. I just about tore some hair out. Overall though it worked, by the end of the season we were on a roll offensivly and part of it was because of how aggressive the play-calling was down the field which helped set up the run. The first half of the season was kind frustrating though.

As to Haslet I wish you guys the best and he may indeed be another example of a great coordinator who just was never meant to be a HC but I thought he was the worst HC in the NFL with the Saints. If you take the game overall than the D certainly played well last night but I had to wonder how much to take away from it. Individual players like Tye Hill jumped out at you but the opening drive by Peyton was pretty effortless and the D only really locked down after Peyton left and Jim Sorgi came in. I don't know if I have ever seen a worse game from a third year number 2 QB. Maybe some of it was the D but he was just plain awful, mind numbingly awful. Even when he wasn't pressured and he had a receiver open he wasn't close. The Colts are in a world of hurt if Peyton goes down.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Overall, I am pleased with the way Linehan and Haslett carried themselves last night. I have a positive outlook that this will become a well-ordered coaching tandem to lead our Rams through a successful regular season and a playoff appearance.
    For two guys who are still finding their way in a new environment with new players, I thought they were right on track. It's going to take time to get everyone on the same page and fully functioning as a unit, but like you Ferter, I have a positive outlook that good things are on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Martz was a different sort, of that, I am certain. He spent most of his time on the sidelines distancing himself from his players. Martz was indeed the mad "eccentric" genius along the lines that border the playing field.
    Good observation. I never liked the fact that Martz often stood alone on the sideline, but I guess it was just his way. I like Linehan's approach better.

Speaking of the differences between Martz and Linehan, when was the last time we had 3 timeouts at the end of a half?

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

It is all new. Lineham and Haslett seem to enjoy being in the mix and communicate with their players, as compared to Martz's stand-offish approach and Marmie's abscence. I too like it better. The last couple of years things just seemed chaotic and confusing on the sidelines to me. We lost our identity and swagger. It just seems like things are more under control than they were. We actually adjusted to what was happening as opposed to trying to continuously try the same thing over and over again while continuing to fail. I hope that this new approach translates into confidence, familiarity of the new playbook and many more wins.
    Last edited by SFCRamFan; -08-12-2006 at 12:36 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...